MyFavouriteMagazines is gone

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Weblaus

MyFavouriteMagazines is gone

Post by Weblaus » Mon Aug 24, 2020 7:35 pm

So I just tried to check in with my account on myfavouritemagazines.co.uk to see what's going on with the latest annoyinged in regards to late delivery and whatever and to my surprise the website is gone - instead you're getting forwarded to magazinesdirect.com, which suppsoedly will be the replacement.

You can't login there with the old account details, instead there's an option to "find your subscription" and supposedly set up a new account. Along with the email address, that requires the surname, postcode, country and the selection of the magazine in question from a pull-down list - but that list currently doesn't include any gaming magazines at all. Just great.

It's also unclear if single issue orders can be recovered that way and while e.g. Retro Gamer and Edge can be found on the website (though there'S no filter option for gaming, they're in the A to Z list) stock data seems to be screwed up as all Edge issues are unavailable and Retro Gamer 210 (current one) as well as 211 aere supposedly sold out (unlikely / impossible).

As of last Friday, the old site was still fully functional and showed no indication at all of an upcoming change, and of course I also never got any notification through email - I'd guess nobody else has either? In hindsight, the constant sales offers had stopped arriving for quite some time as well, so maybe that was a roundabout way of "telling" us something was up? Clearly they couldn't be bothered to give a regular heads-up (and e.g. the Twitter account of MFM of course also has no information at all besided pointing to the old URL).

I just fired off an email to the old customer service address to see if that was even still functuinal and got an auto reply from the new site with this:

"We are currently in the process of upgrading our customer service system.
This will be completed by the 10th September; after this date we will be able to carry out your request."

Just great, so it'll be at least two more weeks of not having any access or information, I guess.

Over the last few years, I've grown accustomed to the amazingly slow delivery times for my subscriptions and the pretty much non-existent customer service from Future, but seems like they're found ways to get even worse with that. I feel bad for the editorial teams of the magazines who do fine work that gets so badly sabotaged by things like this going on.

RichL

Re: MyFavouriteMagazines is gone

Post by RichL » Sat Aug 29, 2020 2:37 am

More information here.

https://www.magazinesdirect.com/corpora ... directfaq/

Already have an active subscription?

From early September, your subscription account will move to a new home, www.MyMagazine.co.uk. You'll need to make a new account, which is quick and easy to do. Don't worry. If you already have a subscription, the terms and conditions of that subscription haven't changed and you'll continue to receive all the issues you're expecting.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Huh, interesting.

I can't say for sure since when that has beeen around, because...

...someone designed the notice in a way that both the top line of the main page and the overlay directing to the FAQ do not show up when your browser has an active adblocker running. Because setting the auto-forward to the specific URL probably would have been too obvious?

There's actually a second mini-explanation around as well at this URL, though I also have no idea how that can usually be reached:

https://www.mymagazine.co.uk/mfm

Either way, switching off the old site before the new one is properly set up ("early september") is just annoying and customer-unfriendly. And the FAQ doesn't tell me e.g. what is up with my recent order of a single issue (of Edge) that hasn't been dispatched for over two weeks by now or if that order history will actually be moved over.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:24 am

has anyone had any success accessing their sub details yet?

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:50 am

MatOfTheDead wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:24 am
has anyone had any success accessing their sub details yet?
No, of course not.

That is, I had some degree of "success" in that I was able to set up an account on the new site that maybe has taken over the details, but I can't say for sure because there's still just an error message popping up - ever since Monday or so.

Sending a mail to the customer service at the old address get's an auto-reply that beginning with September 14th, there's a chance an actualy human might take a look at your message. It used to be September 10th a while ago, and I'm pretty sure they'll have a massive backlog by now, so god knows if and when something will happen.

And sending a mail to the new customer service address actually gave me a bounce because apparently somebody there things it's a good idea to blocki incoming emails for some domains, inlucing one of the biggest ISPs here in Germany - things are getting more absurd and worse by the day with Future.

I'll leave a link to a ResetEra thread about the mess here, it's a quite interesting read:

https://www.resetera.com/threads/future ... al.281861/

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:52 am

its very frustrating as i started my sub last September and i wanna know that ill be getting at least issue 212

gienekk

Post by gienekk » Fri Sep 11, 2020 2:59 am

Here's the message I got from their customer care:
"Dear Subscriber

Thank you for your email.

We are currently in the process of migrating to a new customer service system.

Migration will complete on 14th September; after this date we will be able to carry out your request.

We thank you in advance for your patience during this period.

Kind regards"

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:17 am

Yeah, I know that auto-reply, they've had that for weeks now, but until a few days ago it said "10th September"... and since the new website _still_ is showing only an eror message after logging in, I'm somewhat doubtful the new date will really be the one when service (if you can call it that) will resume.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:32 am

When I phoned them a couple of weeks ago they said that the migration would be sometime after 10th September, rather than actually on 10th September. I assume the 14th September date is just them having more accurate information now that they're closer to completing the migration.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:23 am

Rory Milne wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:32 am
When I phoned them a couple of weeks ago they said that the migration would be sometime after 10th September, rather than actually on 10th September. I assume the 14th September date is just them having more accurate information now that they're closer to completing the migration.
"This will be completed by the 10th September; after this date we will be able to carry out your request."

That's from an auto-reply dating from August 25th.

I mean, based on years of experience with Futures concept of customer "service", it is no surprise at all that date has turned out to be wrong, and I am very doubtful the 14th now really will be the date everything magically start working again.

But even so, imagine how many email must be in the queue by now after 3+ weeks? Back when MFM was around, it wasn't rare at all for an answer to take a week or more, so I shudder to think how long they'll take now.

If your email actually reaches them at all, I mentioned before that mine bizarrely got bounced because the domain apparently is some sort of blacklist...

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:50 pm

I think it sums up Futures attitude towards its customers that we have to essentially migrate our own details over to their new system for them.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:47 am

learnedrobb wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 2:50 pm
I think it sums up Futures attitude towards its customers that we have to essentially migrate our own details over to their new system for them.
As does the deafening silence here or on the FB page (check the community page there) when problems come up.

I know very well that the RG staff is not responsible for the mess and can do little or nothing to really change that, but it still would be nice if they at least tried to give the impression about caring even a tiny little bit.

Also the current issue didn't even get a new thread here until someone asked if it did exist a day after the store date, and the FB page still doesn't mentioned it 10 days later...

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Fri Sep 18, 2020 5:22 am

does anyone know if we can still buy the magazine binders?

Hawthorne34

Post by Hawthorne34 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:46 pm

Posting from the US. I have not received an issue since 205

I can't sign up at the new site because it says i need to know my 8 digit subscription code.
I never needed it at the old site since it used my email to login.
I have no way to find out my sub # since nobody will return by emails

I have been a subscribe since issue # 2. It's very disappointing.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Sep 19, 2020 5:22 pm

Hawthorne34 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:46 pm
Posting from the US. I have not received an issue since 205

I can't sign up at the new site because it says i need to know my 8 digit subscription code.
I never needed it at the old site since it used my email to login.
I have no way to find out my sub # since nobody will return by emails

I have been a subscribe since issue # 2. It's very disappointing.
The 8 digit code is the new one - during the MFM era, it was 10 digits and with the switch to the new one it got converted.

Of course knowing the new one is virtually impossible unless you have received the current issue (211) which hasn't even arrived in Germany yet, so...

That said, I did get a reply from the customer service this week - while it was basically as pointless and incompetent aus expected, at least it's some kind of proof that there's at least a chance to receive an answer now. Keep on trying, I wish you luck.

Other than that, I managed to set up my new account without knowing the code and it the new site did managed to keep my record to my surprise: For what I remember, I was asked the email address, family name, country and what magazine I subscribed to (via pull-down menu). At first, that didn''t work and after that the code was requested, but around two weeks ago the first method was fine - maybe try again, possibly it works for you as well eventually?

But yes, Future's way of not giving a s-word once they have your money is beyoind disappointing.
Last edited by Weblaus on Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.