Mailbag section in RG

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

yalaca

Mailbag section in RG

Post by yalaca » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:13 pm

Hi,
I would like to know how to be featured in the Mailbag section of the magazine?
I've been sending about 1 email a month to "retrogamer@futurenet.com" for a few months now, but never received any reply or never been featured in the section.
Maybe my subjects were not interesting enough... sorry about that if this was the case... I will try to do better! But first, I need to know what is the best way to do so!

Thank you!

Antiriad2097

Re: Mailbag section in RG

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:05 pm

Be interesting, say something new, topical, or original.

Join in the forum, that's an easy way to appear in the mag. The staff post questions every month, and use quotes from us. I've been in so often I stopped counting.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

yalaca

Post by yalaca » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:53 pm

Dear Antiriad2097,

I thought have been interesting and I've been asking good question... way more than some that I saw only saying "love your mag... changed my life" and been published like that.

You, you have been quoted from the forum or a letter of yours was posted in the Mailbag? If the latter, how did you communicated with them?

Thanks

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:55 am

Not in mailbag, but in other sections, mainly 'from the forum's funnily enough.

There's always an element of praise from readers in game mag mail bags, its always been a thing, so those letters invariably get slotted in sometimes.

You could always try pleading, let Daz know just how often you tried and how much it would mean to you.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:46 am

I occasionally see myself quoted in the 'from the forum' sections, gives you a wee buzz to see yourself Lol, but yeah, tends to be if you have a contrary or different view to most, as variety makes it more interesting than a whole stack of answers to 'Favourite Mega drive game' for example saying the same thing.

Haven't submitted a letter for consideration though, although I understand RG was calling for/inviting submissions a little while ago, when letters were becoming a little scarce? I'd submit something if I thought I would have something unique or different than usual to share, but seriously haven't thought of anything I haven't seen a few times throughout the forum. I do enjoy reading the letters page though, it's a great addition to any mag

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:09 pm

I've been in a few times, post in the threads asking for input for the mag. Keep your answers fairly consice, like this.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:36 am

yalaca wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:13 pm
Hi,
I would like to know how to be featured in the Mailbag section of the magazine?
I've been sending about 1 email a month to "retrogamer@futurenet.com" for a few months now, but never received any reply or never been featured in the section.
Maybe my subjects were not interesting enough... sorry about that if this was the case... I will try to do better! But first, I need to know what is the best way to do so!

Thank you!
What were the topics? I don't recall any new emails (we largely get letters from regulars)

yalaca

Post by yalaca » Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:25 pm

Hi Darran,
The last ones main topics were:
- Emulation of retro games (2020.03.23)
- Team sports game and Hockey (2020.06.27)
- Subscribers' cover arts vs posters (2020.07.03)

I was usually using the titles "letter for the Mailbag" or something like that.
I have other ideas for letters, but I'm not sure if I was using the right email now, so haven't send them yet...

Like I previously said, I used "retrogamer@futurenet.com" but I just saw in one mag "retro.gamer@futurenet.com".
So... which one is the good one?

Thanks

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:16 pm

My letter about how rubbish the amstrad cpc was never got printed either 😄
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:35 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:16 pm
My letter about how rubbish the amstrad cpc was never got printed either 😄
Yeah, but 35 years after it never became popular in the first place, games are being created that don't look bright purple versions of Spectrum games. :lol: :lol: