Mag availability in Northern Ireland

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

BelfastGonzo

Mag availability in Northern Ireland

Post by BelfastGonzo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:32 am

Now that Eason has closed its doors, it means Retro Gamer is not on any shop shelves in Northern Ireland (as far as I can tell anyway). I've been ordering the mag online during the pandemic, and will likely take out a sub, but it's a shame it won't be on the shelves here any more. After all, that's where I first found it.

Rory Milne

Re: Mag availability in Northern Ireland

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:21 am

BelfastGonzo wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:32 am
Now that Eason has closed its doors, it means Retro Gamer is not on any shop shelves in Northern Ireland (as far as I can tell anyway). I've been ordering the mag online during the pandemic, and will likely take out a sub, but it's a shame it won't be on the shelves here any more. After all, that's where I first found it.
That's really sad news. :( I found out about RG by finding it on a shop shelf too, as I'm sure lots of others did.

I've never heard of Eason. Was it your one main newsagents in the same way that WH Smiths is over here?

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:38 am

Had a quick look at the WH Smiths store locator page on its site, and there are a few results for NI stores - three at airports and one at a railway.

I'm guessing these are all miles away from you, or maybe they've all shut down. But if not - and if they don't sell RG - then it might be worth asking one of them if they could start stocking it now that Eason is gone.

WHSmith, Airside Main, Belfast International Airport
Phone: 028 9448 4588

WHSmith, Great Victoria Railway Station, Belfast
Phone: 028 9032 9236

WHSmith, Airside, Belfast City Airport
Phone: 028 9093 5048

WHSmith, Airside, Derry Airport
Phone: 028 7181 1620

BelfastGonzo

Post by BelfastGonzo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:06 pm

Hi Rory. Yes, Eason is basically the Irish version of WH Smith. In fact, Smith is the distributor of Retro Gamer to Eason, I found out recently. I'm not sure if the Smiths stores you listed sell the mag, although I wouldn't have much cause to call in to airports and rail stations anyway!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:24 am

Can you not ask a local newsagent to reserve you a copy each month?
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:07 am

BelfastGonzo wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 6:06 pm
Hi Rory. Yes, Eason is basically the Irish version of WH Smith. In fact, Smith is the distributor of Retro Gamer to Eason, I found out recently. I'm not sure if the Smiths stores you listed sell the mag, although I wouldn't have much cause to call in to airports and rail stations anyway!
Yeah, that's fair enough. :)
jdanddiet wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:24 am
Can you not ask a local newsagent to reserve you a copy each month?
Good shout, Graeme. According to Google there are quite a lot of city centre newsagents in Belfast, although it's still showing Eason, so it's out of date. Maybe one of the others does standing orders, though. They'd likely just order RG from Smiths like Eason did.

SirPsychoSexy

Post by SirPsychoSexy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:31 am

Only chiming in to say I'm a Belfast fella too, and it's good to see a few others on here. It'd be amazing to see a day when, pandemics behind us, we could have some sort of retro gaming event here.
On-topic, it's an obvious call and might sound like brown-nosing, but subscribing has been a joy for me. Apart from the problems finding a retailer that hasn't gone under, it's great to get the mag typically a day or two ahead of its street date. Some of the freebies for signing up are pretty great too. If it's within your means financially at the moment (Covid considered) I'd think about subscribing.

Charco

Post by Charco » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:08 am

You are very lucky to get the magazine a few days before the street date, here in the Republic I get it typically 3 weeks after the average punter gets it in a newsagents.

BelfastGonzo

Post by BelfastGonzo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:45 am

Funnily enough, I am in Tipperary today and picked up a copy of issue 210 in Nenagh's Eason. So yay!

Sir Psycho Sexy - you may be interested to know that iver on Facebook, I'm an admin of Retro Game Collectors Northern Ireland, if you fancy joining some like-minded locals. I've put it out there before about an event... I think it would be possible, but it would be a LOT of organisation. There is a small official Nintendo club in the city, and I stumbled across a separate club of Smash Bros fans who meet up. I presume Queen's Uni will have a few retro fans too, as there's usually a decent set up of consoles at Comic Con every year.

SirPsychoSexy

Post by SirPsychoSexy » Sat Aug 08, 2020 8:44 am

Gonzo - very cool, I joined up to the FB group today.

Charco - damn, that's shocking. Since we're getting it so much earlier I have no idea what the delay is, not that I know anything about magazine distribution.