Issue size

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26892
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Issue size

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:05 pm

Oh, has the pandemic passed and we're back to normal now? I must have missed that.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: Issue size

Post by Rory Milne » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:20 am

bounty bob wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:08 am
3 issues later and still down to 100 pages. Can someone from the magazine please confirm if this is going to stay like this or that plans are afoot to go back to normal. Considering I last subscribed under the promise of Darren that page count would return!!!
The freelance budget went back to normal for issue 214, so that issue should be back to pre-Covid 19 size. Fingers crossed that things stay that way from 214 onward. :)

bounty bob
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Caverns Of Mars

Re: Issue size

Post by bounty bob » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:05 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:05 pm
Oh, has the pandemic passed and we're back to normal now? I must have missed that.
Theres no need to be sarcastic. I wasn't being nasty, just pointing out that back in July Darren stated the magazine was back to normal. That's why the free digital editions were stopped soon after. However that's not the case as the page count has reduced by over 10% but no reduction in price or subscription price. The fact that no one from the magazine has commented makes me believe they have no intention of increasing the page count back to how it was before.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

User avatar
ely
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Issue size

Post by ely » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:41 am

bounty bob wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:05 am
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 2:05 pm
Oh, has the pandemic passed and we're back to normal now? I must have missed that.
Theres no need to be sarcastic. I wasn't being nasty, just pointing out that back in July Darren stated the magazine was back to normal. That's why the free digital editions were stopped soon after. However that's not the case as the page count has reduced by over 10% but no reduction in price or subscription price. The fact that no one from the magazine has commented makes me believe they have no intention of increasing the page count back to how it was before.
I thought the comment was quite funny :) Have you never been on the internet before?

To be honest though I'm just happy we've not missed an issue since this thing kicked off and I can't say I could tell it's missing pages (apart from the Homebrew section, but there's a good reason for that). How important is the page count anyway? I remember back in the 80s/90s page counts varied massively from month to month.

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: Issue size

Post by Rory Milne » Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:49 am

bounty bob wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:05 am
The fact that no one from the magazine has commented makes me believe they have no intention of increasing the page count back to how it was before.
Well I'm a regular freelance writer for the magazine and I posted earlier to say that it should be back to normal size from issue 214. That said, maybe you missed my post.

Weblaus
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Issue size

Post by Weblaus » Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:57 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:49 am
bounty bob wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 9:05 am
The fact that no one from the magazine has commented makes me believe they have no intention of increasing the page count back to how it was before.
Well I'm a regular freelance writer for the magazine and I posted earlier to say that it should be back to normal size from issue 214. That said, maybe you missed my post.
And you have a lot of my respect for being around and trying to help as much as you can, especially without being snarky or talking down to anyone.

But as you're saying, you're a freelancer with probably just a limited amount of information (not at all a knock on you, of course) - surely dealing with stuff and questions like this should rather be handled by people employed full-time? Which just isn't happening for years by now.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26892
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Issue size

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 2:37 am

Pandemic.

Distribution has returned to normal ish.

Mag production hasn't. Ad revenue will be down, which will impact on issue size. Sales are probably down too, since with many more people not working, they'll be cutting non essentials from their budget.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
Rory Milne
Posts: 433
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:49 am

Re: Issue size

Post by Rory Milne » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 pm

Weblaus wrote:
Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:57 pm
surely dealing with stuff and questions like this should rather be handled by people employed full-time?
Not knocking the forum, but the in-house RG staff tend to deal with the same questions that are asked on here on Twitter. And to be honest, as the numbers on the forum continue to decline I can only imagine you'll hear less from them on here and not more.

It's just a numbers game, if they can reach 10 or 100 times as many readers on social media than they can on the forum then that's the more sensible way to get the information out there.

The question of issue size is one that the freelancers were certainly in on, since it was directly connected to a reduction of the freelance budget, so I can tell you directly from the horse's mouth on this occasion that things in that respect went back to normal for issue 214, and hopefully they'll stay that way. :)

Weblaus
Posts: 282
Joined: Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:01 pm
Location: Germany

Re: Issue size

Post by Weblaus » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:47 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 pm
Not knocking the forum, but the in-house RG staff tend to deal with the same questions that are asked on here on Twitter. And to be honest, as the numbers on the forum continue to decline I can only imagine you'll hear less from them on here and not more.
Well... especially since there's so little traffic on here, it would take no time at all to drop in every few days and check what's going on. Hearing even less is hardly possible anymore. And I did check Twitter, the posting frequency there isn't excactly high volume either, though definitely better than on FB where everything in the community tab is also getting routinely ignored for months now.
Rory Milne wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:54 pm
It's just a numbers game, if they can reach 10 or 100 times as many readers on social media than they can on the forum then that's the more sensible way to get the information out there.
While you're not wrong, I'd still say it would be a nice gesture to see just a tiny little bit of effort invested here as well. If they don't care about this place enough to to at least that, why not hand it over to the few people around who still bother to show up?

The way it is now, the promotional use is pretty much zero anyway, though at least that's not quite as painfully obvious as with the website which had its last update in April (for issue #206) and would surely be better off put out if its misery and replaced with a link to the shiny new (and terrible) online store.

I'm aware that I might come across as mostly negative in my post for quite some time now, but I do care about the magazine and want to continue supporting it, but not any costs anymore - I'm fine with paying money to get a printed magazine no matter if it goes back to 116 pages or not (digitally I'd simply stick with Readly), but being a non-UK subscriber has made this increasingly stressful over the years and it's not helping when you either get ignored (by customer service) or told that there's nothing to be done (by editorial).

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6770
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Issue size

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 am

I can confirm that as of issue 213 we are back up to our usual 116 pages.
Image

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3258
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: Issue size

Post by RetroBob » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:57 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 am
I can confirm that as of issue 213 we are back up to our usual 116 pages.
Really glad to hear this Darran!
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
ely
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Issue size

Post by ely » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:07 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 am
I can confirm that as of issue 213 we are back up to our usual 116 pages.
Great stuff Darren, does this mean the Homebrew section is back too?

User avatar
Darran@Retro Gamer
Posts: 6770
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:34 am
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: Issue size

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:59 am

ely wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:07 am
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 am
I can confirm that as of issue 213 we are back up to our usual 116 pages.
Great stuff Darren, does this mean the Homebrew section is back too?
No, Jason is still poorly in hospital with COVID so it would return fully until he does.
Image

User avatar
ely
Posts: 123
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Issue size

Post by ely » Wed Oct 21, 2020 6:16 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:59 am
No, Jason is still poorly in hospital with COVID so it would return fully until he does.
Oh jeez, that's not good, it's been a while now too, I hope he's slowly getting better.

bounty bob
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:03 pm
Location: Caverns Of Mars

Re: Issue size

Post by bounty bob » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:42 pm

Glad to here the mag is back to normal but not about Jason. Wishing his recovery goes well. Sorry to be a bit of a moaner about things recently, it must be my old age catching up with me.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest