Issue size

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

bounty bob

Issue size

Post by bounty bob » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:55 am

Darren said last month that the magazine wad back to normal. Just received the latest issue and it's still a bit thin. Again only 100 pages and not the usual 116. Is future using this as an excuse to reduce content without reducing price or will it go back up in size soon.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

Charco

Re: Issue size

Post by Charco » Sat Jul 04, 2020 5:57 am

Yeah I was pretty shocked to see the reduced page count this month. As for it returning to normal any time soon, I'll believe it when I see it.

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:26 am

From experience, the price will never come down even if it stays at 100 pages. You’ll have to decide if it’s worth the cost going forward and vote with your wallet.

However, if it is only a blip while everything get backs to normal (whatever normal is) then fair enough, I look forward to the extra pages returning.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:43 am

RichL wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:26 am
However, if it is only a blip while everything get backs to normal (whatever normal is) then fair enough, I look forward to the extra pages returning.
Before Coronavirus hit, Retro Gamer was sold in every W H Smith - and some larger supermarkets, but because of the virus Smiths shut 70% of its branches, so a decision was made to temporarily stop printing and distributing retail copies of RG.

Technically, Retro Gamer was only missing from shop shelves for two issues, but the Smiths branch-closure happened not long after the last pre-Covid-19 retail copy of RG was released, and Smiths sent back unsold mags to any publisher that had offered its publications on a sale or return basis. I'm not sure if that included RG, but if so then that was another financial hit for the mag.

Smiths has reopened all of its branches just recently - although the Scottish ones were a little later than their English counterparts, but just to make matters worse for RG not all of the reopened Smiths stocked the most recent issue. Possibly because it came out a week or so before they opened their doors, although that's just a theory.

The next issue of RG is out this Thursday, so hopefully it will appear in all Smiths like it did before Covid, but even then there's no guarantee that Smiths are getting the footfall right now that it was getting back in March before lockdown.

Lastly, Future Publications - who publish RG - might want a few months of strong sales coupled with the reduced page-count to make up for the losses it's made over the last few months before putting the page-count back up to where it was. Again, that's just a theory.

But in any case, RG's page-count isn't likely to go back up until retail sales of the mag do the same. The only way I can think of to help that process along is to send Smiths a tweet if your local branch isn't stocking the mag, or politely complain at the counter - or both! ;) Smith's Twitter page is at the link below:

https://twitter.com/WHSmith

ely

Post by ely » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:09 am

This is all very interesting, I don't give two hoots about whether the mag has 100 pages or 116 pages. I just get it and read it. But I am curious what the % split is between retail sales and subscriber numbers is?

I always assumed RG was much for of a Subscriber heavy publication which meant retail sales were less important, but I'm guessing from reading this that that's not necessarily the case.

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:31 am

Rory, thank you for the detailed reply. I’ve been a subscriber for a very long time, I’m not about to ditch it, just wondered what the reasoning was so thank you again.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:37 am

ely wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:09 am
I always assumed RG was much for of a Subscriber heavy publication which meant retail sales were less important, but I'm guessing from reading this that that's not necessarily the case.
I've no idea what the split is, and if retail copies are supplied to shops on a sale or return basis then the number you see on the shelves each month doesn't tell the whole story either. That said, I'd say retail sales are absolutely crucial, because they attract new readers who otherwise would never hear about Retro Gamer.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:37 am

RichL wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:31 am
Rory, thank you for the detailed reply. I’ve been a subscriber for a very long time, I’m not about to ditch it, just wondered what the reasoning was so thank you again.
No worries. :)

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:38 am

It's not the size, but what they do with it that matters ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

ely

Post by ely » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:07 am

Rory Milne wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:37 am
That said, I'd say retail sales are absolutely crucial, because they attract new readers who otherwise would never hear about Retro Gamer.
A very good point, for some reason I'd not thought of that. Once you become a subscriber to something you sort of stop thinking about the buying of it in a shop and thus the exposure of the shelves to entice people to pick it up.
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:38 am
It's not the size, but what they do with it that matters ;)
Haha :)

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:24 pm

RG is going to end up being the only games mag left on the shelves before too long. Props to the genius who came up with the original concept.
Thoughts and prayers.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:20 pm

Presume its lost pages due to lack of sales in shops, happy if it carries on a month or two longer and then goes back to normal if it helps the finances and for it to stay alive

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:59 pm

RG has the _extreme_ luxury of having no 'Best before' date that just about all the other magazines have.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:02 am

I truly hope that when retail footfall increases, RG returns to it's pre-corona size.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:08 am

3 issues later and still down to 100 pages. Can someone from the magazine please confirm if this is going to stay like this or that plans are afoot to go back to normal. Considering I last subscribed under the promise of Darren that page count would return!!!
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)