Retro Gamer Issue 208 - Back to the 80s

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fawltykog

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 208 - Back to the 80s

Post by Fawltykog » Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:16 am

Great to see Retro Gamer back in the shops, fair made my day. 😁

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:00 am

Fawltykog wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:16 am
Great to see Retro Gamer back in the shops, fair made my day. 😁
It's great to be back :)

ely

Post by ely » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:04 pm

I read the Formula One article today, loved it. I don't think I was ever even aware it existed, although more than likely I did see the adverts for it, but not having a Speccy didn't pay much attention to it. Will have to give it a go via emulation.

RichL

Post by RichL » Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:26 am

Finally got mine in the post.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:00 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:05 am
I'm pretty sure stored magazines still haven't been sent out yet I'm afraid Weblaus.
I'm sure you are right.

And to be perfectly honest, I'd be more surprised if they really will end up being sent out (and arriving) than otherwise.

The only thing that seems to work flawlessly in Future's customer service (or whatever to call it) is sending on frequent sales ads and "your subscrpition is running out" reminders for months before it actually would. I've got two of this via snailmail recently, during a time when subscrpition copies couldn't be send out - makes priorities pretty clear.

Oh, and ordered single issues do arrive pretty fast, I have to admit that. I did buy #208 on the date of release (Thursday last week) and it arrived this Wedneday in Germany. But no sign at all of the subs copy so far, as usual.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jun 19, 2020 4:30 pm

This one is totally up my street!! Can't wait to read this one!!!

DRS

Post by DRS » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:04 am

I finally got my physical copy and smiled a lot at the big 80s feature - it's just the sort of wide-ranging, imaginative article the mag does so well. Nice one Daz, Nick and Drew for making it happen.

But I have to say I was slightly disappointed in one respect - the opening text promised 'iconoclasts' talking about the decade. I was thus expecting Gary Bracey to say 'all Ocean film licenses were rubbish', Chris Abbott to say SID tunes 'aren't really music' and Julian Rignall to annouce he 'thought the C64 was crap and always preferred the Spectrum'.

That could have been fun - brought to mind the article Martyn Carroll once commissioned in the very early RG days slagging off iconic games - but I think 'iconoclasts' may have actually just been a typo. Daz and Nick, do I win a Trainspotter Award? ;]

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:38 pm

DRS wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:04 am
I finally got my physical copy and smiled a lot at the big 80s feature - it's just the sort of wide-ranging, imaginative article the mag does so well. Nice one Daz, Nick and Drew for making it happen.

But I have to say I was slightly disappointed in one respect - the opening text promised 'iconoclasts' talking about the decade. I was thus expecting Gary Bracey to say 'all Ocean film licenses were rubbish', Chris Abbott to say SID tunes 'aren't really music' and Julian Rignall to annouce he 'thought the C64 was crap and always preferred the Spectrum'.

That could have been fun - brought to mind the article Martyn Carroll once commissioned in the very early RG days slagging off iconic games - but I think 'iconoclasts' may have actually just been a typo. Daz and Nick, do I win a Trainspotter Award? ;]
I never knew what Iconoclast really meant, always thought it was just a legend in some industry or subject. I now have learnt my new thing for today!

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:31 am

The 80s feature sounds great, but looking forward to the Eternal Darkness feature, as it's quite an overlooked game at times.

It's also a good test to see how long things are taking in international post now, one thing recently emerged after four months, ordered before our lockdown. Strange times indeed