Retro Gamer Issue 208 - Back to the 80s

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

jdanddiet

Retro Gamer Issue 208 - Back to the 80s

Post by jdanddiet » Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:56 am

It's here already!

Ultimate Guide: Outrunner
Making Of: Formula One, Plok, Spider-Man, Eternal Darkness
Archives: Ocean France
History Of: Destruction Derby
Back to the 80s Special
Legacy of Myst
plus loads more and all the usuals
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Crusty Starfish

Re: Retro Gamer Issue 208 - Back to the 80s

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:44 pm

It's a great issue too! All that 80's goodness.

Lets hope that it isn't some sort of secret 'letting go of the 80's' in disguise ;)

ely

Post by ely » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:08 am

Yeah looks like a great issue, I actually got mine on Monday!

I was surprised to see no Homebrew section but learnt (via the AtariAge Forums) today that Jason Kelk is laid up in hospital due to Covid-19!

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/30785 ... -magazine/

I think I can speak for everyone here that we wish him a speedy recovery.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:09 am

Just got mine, love the look of the back to the 80's feature. Graeme ! Great work fella, LOVE the Formula One feature. Played that so much back in the day with my late dad, I never realised you could gamble, that was brilliant when i found that out ! Still remember how the pit crew worked and the noises of the cars racing past. A very addictive game.

This is what i love about the mag, never heard somehow of 'Plok. Looks good, i'll give it a go for sure.

Myst feature looks interesting, never got into that but its on my list of games to go back to. And yeah all the best to Jason.K (Always a friendly fellow if you see him and chat to him at retro shows)

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:55 am

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:09 am
Just got mine, love the look of the back to the 80's feature. Graeme ! Great work fella, LOVE the Formula One feature. Played that so much back in the day with my late dad, I never realised you could gamble, that was brilliant when i found that out ! Still remember how the pit crew worked and the noises of the cars racing past. A very addictive game.

This is what i love about the mag, never heard somehow of 'Plok. Looks good, i'll give it a go for sure.

Myst feature looks interesting, never got into that but its on my list of games to go back to. And yeah all the best to Jason.K (Always a friendly fellow if you see him and chat to him at retro shows)
Thanks Paul. Peter was a lovely chap to interview and very interesting story too
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Favourite issue for a while, loved the Myst article and the Back to the 80's. Darren, you say things are getting back to normal, does that mean we get our 14 or more pages back or will it be used as an excuse to keep the page count down.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)

Djones73

Post by Djones73 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:33 pm

Being born in 73 i love everything to do with the 80's so this issue is perfect for me.
The cover is great as it really stands out and reminds me of some gaming magazines from the past.
Lots of interesting content this month as well.
Also my first ever owned computer the Dragon 32 which doesn't appear much features twice in the same issue.
Happy Days. :D

Get well soon Jason.

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Jun 11, 2020 4:26 am

Were we supposed to get the digital version this time too or has that been stopped now?

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:01 am

So I guess things are indeed back to normal now - which seems to mean the digital issues are gone along with the "Your copy of Retro gamer will be with you soon" emails that contained the link for that.

Oh well. Of course, I also never got the email stating that international subscribers will get their copies again (while others did for whatever reason), so we'll see how many weeks or months it will actually take until the issue arrives (if it does).

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:42 am

We haven't seen a postman for four days (before anyone says 'maybe you just don't have any post') we literally haven't seen a postman in our area.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:26 pm

I had an email saying it was arriving soon (and it did)... Also in Darran's little intro it says the mag is back for sale in shops! Not seen it in the local Tesco yet, can anyone confirm its in the shops?

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:00 pm

Weblaus wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:01 am
So I guess things are indeed back to normal now - which seems to mean the digital issues are gone along with the "Your copy of Retro gamer will be with you soon" emails that contained the link for that.

Oh well. Of course, I also never got the email stating that international subscribers will get their copies again (while others did for whatever reason), so we'll see how many weeks or months it will actually take until the issue arrives (if it does).
I'm an international subscriber, and I got the free digital version for this issue as well as the last two. For this issue, it was with an email saying that they were sending the mag out, not holding it, so slightly different. I didn't get an email saying my held magazines have been sent out yet either, the last one along those lines was an email saying they were still holding 206 and 207, but that was back on May 15th. I just received a replacement issue for 205, which took about a month to get here after being shipped, so I imagine its a few weeks off the backlog turning up if they were sent.

merman

Post by merman » Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:32 pm

Enjoyed this issue a lot. The big 1980s feature was good, with suitably dayglo design.
Favourite piece was David Crookes on Ocean Software France, closely followed by the Myst legacy article.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:20 pm

antsbull wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:00 pm
I'm an international subscriber, and I got the free digital version for this issue as well as the last two. For this issue, it was with an email saying that they were sending the mag out, not holding it, so slightly different. I didn't get an email saying my held magazines have been sent out yet either, the last one along those lines was an email saying they were still holding 206 and 207, but that was back on May 15th. I just received a replacement issue for 205, which took about a month to get here after being shipped, so I imagine its a few weeks off the backlog turning up if they were sent.
Like I said, for whatever reason I didn't get the "Your copy of Retro Gamer will be with you soon!" this time despite my sub still running for well over 2 years. And I also never got that mail from the middle of May about the shipping starting again. It'll be intersting to see if and when my subs copy of 208 shows up (not even thinking about the previous two).

I've given up trying to understand why all of this is happening and basically thinkss of it as just another part of Future's demonstrated disinterest in offering a reliable service for international subscribers.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:05 am

Weblaus wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:20 pm
antsbull wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:00 pm
Like I said, for whatever reason I didn't get the "Your copy of Retro Gamer will be with you soon!" this time despite my sub still running for well over 2 years. And I also never got that mail from the middle of May about the shipping starting again. It'll be intersting to see if and when my subs copy of 208 shows up (not even thinking about the previous two).

I've given up trying to understand why all of this is happening and basically thinkss of it as just another part of Future's demonstrated disinterest in offering a reliable service for international subscribers.
I'm pretty sure stored magazines still haven't been sent out yet I'm afraid Weblaus.