Panzer Dragoon Remake review.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rossi46

Panzer Dragoon Remake review.

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:20 am

65%? Really?

The fact that it exists at all is a miracle, but 65%? I know I'm a biased Sega fanboy who's been eager for this since it was announced, but surely you could've waited til after the 1.3 patch was released. The patch addresses most, if not all of the fan-concern complaints. From 60fps, to input lag, to being able to choose your reticle, to a host of other bonus embellishments and improvements, PD Remake is worth more than a measly 65% score.
Thoughts and prayers.

ulrich7ad

Re: Panzer Dragoon Remake review.

Post by ulrich7ad » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:30 pm

That's the problem with reviews these days, updates can change a game drastically. But they can only review what they have in front of them, not what the game can, possibly, become.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:07 am

rossi46 wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:20 am
65%? Really?

The fact that it exists at all is a miracle, but 65%? I know I'm a biased Sega fanboy who's been eager for this since it was announced, but surely you could've waited til after the 1.3 patch was released. The patch addresses most, if not all of the fan-concern complaints. From 60fps, to input lag, to being able to choose your reticle, to a host of other bonus embellishments and improvements, PD Remake is worth more than a measly 65% score.
The score is based on what was originally released. I'm a huge fan of the series (own all the games aside from Mini because it's rubbish) but that's all it was worth on release. If all those changes had actually been made in the first place the score would have been a lot higher :)
From working in the gaming press for over 17 years I've quickly learned you should review titles based on what gamers will currently be paying for, not what they might be paying for.

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:59 am

Yeah, you should never ever review games based on the promises of the developers.

Still, the post-release patch is such a common event these days that it might be worth re-visiting selected games when they include significant improvements.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Fair enough, I'm not mad at you, I was just shocked by the score. The patch transforms this game from interesting curiosity into something quite beautiful. Zwei remake should be better.
Thoughts and prayers.