From the forum issue 208: Eighties pick'em

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: From the forum issue 208: Eighties pick'em

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat May 23, 2020 10:27 am

Computer: ZX Spectrum. Yes, the C64 is technically 'better' and has some games that blow the Sinclair away, but there's something about the particular combination of resolution, palette, colour clash and farty sound of the 48k Spectrums that are especially endearing to me.

Console: Vectrex. While so many home systems struggled to give accurate arcade conversions, the vector display of the Vectrex allowed amazing, smooth renditions of some unexpected games. Who knew Scramble would make that transition so well?

Arcade: Star Wars. Atari may have been late with their licence, but they absolutely nailed it, with slick coloured first person views and those all important voice samples providing what remains a convincing experience of being within the universe.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Cafeman

Re: From the forum issue 208: Eighties pick'em

Post by Cafeman » Fri May 29, 2020 5:33 pm

I know Genesis / Mega Drive was 80s, but not to me so ...

Console pick is Atari 7800, which is compatible with 2600 library. So I can play River Raid, Kaboom, and the 7800 Food Fight. And the homebrews!

Computer is Atari 800XL. So many great games and sweet POKEY sounds. I'd have picked 5200 for my console pick, but I know the controllers would bust in 5 hours.

Arcade pick is sit down Outrun.