Conversion Capers feels lazy

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Alex79uk2

Re: Conversion Capers feels lazy

Post by Alex79uk2 » Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:13 am

Fair enough, although I disagree. The main part of the article would be a review of the film, with a few side boxes commenting on the quality of the audio or video on the higher resolution releases. I think it works quite well to be honest.
Last edited by Alex79uk2 on Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:11 am

From what I can tell having read RG from issue 1 is that the staff tend to be very pro Amstrad generally using CPC screen shots first above the other formats unless they are talking about a specific format version. To say they constantly promote the Spectrum is the opposite off what I see so If they are complaining about a poor lazy port then they probably have good reason too. Quoting ChinnyVision of whom I also subscribe is not the best example as he often says the same about CPC and MSX ports of games and as you say he does play on real hardware. These poor lazy ports did happen usually due to time constraints so developers never really got the chance to get the best out of each machine. The same happened for the Amiga to start with just getting ropy ports across from the Atari ST so this is why RG constantly express it.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Sat Apr 25, 2020 4:25 am

The Spectrum and Amstrad versions of Hard Drivin are impressive for what they are and the hardware it is running on. But as games I find it hard to defend them. They are way better than the C64 version, but still bad. The frame rate is too low. Car games are about speed. I would rate Hard Drivin 80% for effort but only 30% for feel and gameplay (ZX/CPC). I feel I am being to generous. Me being Amstrad fanboy and all. We do not need to defend the bad games

CosmoDreamy

Post by CosmoDreamy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:58 am

Maybe making them a less regular entry so as to spend more time and effort working on them would be a good idea, as well as possibly shifting its focus onto the main conversions worth covering rather than simply listing them with a small level of detail as has been said before, then less notable (as in, poorly-done or uninteresting) versions having less detail.

Are console to portables covered by this though? Would be interesting for some of the titles - day ‘NES to GB’ ports or such, comparing those would be a good idea if there’s notable differences that make for better/worse experiences.
But sometimes you feel it, d'you know how it is
You wake up in the morning and everything thing fits
I'm still hoping tomorrow feels like this
My perfect day~