Retro Gamer - Issue 206

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rinzwind

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 206

Post by rinzwind » Wed May 13, 2020 12:34 pm

About covers.. No one did some serious research into which one subscribers actually prefer. Even the last subscriver survey didn't have one question about it.

I prefer the store one. Its more busy, attention grabbing, more descriptive of whats inside and more imaginative. Sub covers are way too abstract many many times. Boring. imho of course.

Eric

Post by Eric » Wed May 13, 2020 7:02 pm

Two covers must be added expense both for time and money for what appears to be a option not wanted. Offering subscribers a selection of the two would again be costly and likely unworkable.

Also appears to be that some subscribers would like the retail cover and some non-subscribers want the subs cover but selection changes monthly dependant on cover image.

My preference would be to refert to retail only cover for clarity, time & expense. However either subscribers covers are working by increasing subs or Future are sticking to their guns on this - is exclusive covers available across all Future mags?

Strangely enough I also like this months lighter page count. Felt compact and jam-packed. I like 2 pages added to bring the page number up to 100 and place “Next Month” there.

Would want the “old” and End Game dropped.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu May 14, 2020 2:21 am

I personally stopped getting Edge about 10 years ago when they appeared to think that their ideas on things were more important than the actual games they were covering, the games coverage was dreadful apart from some of their Retro issues. You could read a two page review and leave it knowing barely anything at all about the game, slogging through an literature essay on why the reviewer doesn't like the game, even though they appeared to have barely played it. I know of several other people who stopped getting Edge as well, so even though this is anecdotal, I wouldn't be surprised if their numbers had dropped a lot

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 14, 2020 7:46 am

I stopped buying Edge when it became more about the industry than the games. I was buying it for just a few pages of retro coverage, then RG did it properly.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Thu May 14, 2020 2:31 pm

Eric wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 7:02 pm
Two covers must be added expense both for time and money for what appears to be a option not wanted. Offering subscribers a selection of the two would again be costly and likely unworkable.
Well, obviously two covers are produced each month ever sinc the subs cover was introducing, so that's not the issue. As for offering a choice being costly and/or unworkable - I believe I've mentioned it before, I work for a magazine that does just that, has a print run most likely lower than Retro Gamer's and is published by a tiny company. So I'm pretty sure a big company like Future should easily bee able to do the same, if they just wanted to (which clearly they don't).

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Fri May 15, 2020 12:06 pm

Hi I think it was in this issue - a guy asked for a Fighter's History article in the Leter Pages. I wanted to second his request, would be interested to hear in detail about that game.

I would also like to request :

-More Neo Geo articles in general please.
- Article on the Poy Poy games on the Playstation 1. We used to play the first Poy Poy with 3-4 players and as long as you limited the powergloves it wasn't far behind Bomberman as a multiplayer game.

Thank you!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:14 am

My copy of 206 finally appeared on the day after 207 hit the stores. I've ordered 207 now, online, so hopefully that will arrive before 208. :(
Thoughts and prayers.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon May 18, 2020 12:45 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 7:14 am
My copy of 206 finally appeared on the day after 207 hit the stores. I've ordered 207 now, online, so hopefully that will arrive before 208. :(
Issues from MFM seem to be taking around 3 weeks to turn up I'm afraid. I've just ordered the Pac-Man cover too so hopefully it will turn up early June. With regards to circulation etc you should be able to find all the information on Future's brand page.

Eric

Post by Eric » Mon May 18, 2020 9:09 pm

Ordering from MFM for me is about 2 weeks which is not too bad considering.

RG is the second biggest selling gaming Future mag, and not far off Playstation for 1st.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:45 pm

I'm going to resub this week.
Thoughts and prayers.