Retro Gamer - Issue 206

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Weblaus

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 206

Post by Weblaus » Sat May 02, 2020 5:37 pm

It's worth pointing out that the link provided via email points to a digital edition hosted on issuu.com which can be read in the browser, but not downloaded. Obviously still better than having no issue at all especially for non-UK subscribers, but certainly not quite why one might have espected either.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Tue May 05, 2020 2:41 pm

What kind of delay between ordering rg mag and receiving it, is to be expected?

I ordered #206 on March 20th and theres no sign of it yet.
Thoughts and prayers.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue May 05, 2020 4:12 pm

I'd have expected it now too, worth contacting them.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Wed May 06, 2020 8:42 am

rossi46 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:41 pm

Based on these few bits on information nobody can say for sure.

First, I assume you mean April 20th, as issue #206 wasn't sold online before April 16th. And that we're talking about a single issue order, not a subscription which is a completely different thing, obviously.

Did you get a dispatch confirmation? If yes, when was it dispatched? If not, does the information in "Your Account" on the website list the order date or is there a dispatch date?

Where are you located? "melrose" could be in a lot of countries, obviosduyl delivery times will vary depending on if you're in the UK or e.g. the USA.

Speaking from personal experience, dispatch usually happens 1-2 days after ordering, but I have had orders that to much londer to be dispatched (famous Future customer service quality at work there). And once it has been dispatched, the usual time to arrive in Germany is about 7-9 days - I'd expect in the UK ist should be 1-2 days.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed May 06, 2020 9:07 am

No email with link for me either...

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:15 pm

Weblaus wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:42 am
rossi46 wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 2:41 pm

Based on these few bits on information nobody can say for sure.

First, I assume you mean April 20th, as issue #206 wasn't sold online before April 16th. And that we're talking about a single issue order, not a subscription which is a completely different thing, obviously.

Did you get a dispatch confirmation? If yes, when was it dispatched? If not, does the information in "Your Account" on the website list the order date or is there a dispatch date?

Where are you located? "melrose" could be in a lot of countries, obviosduyl delivery times will vary depending on if you're in the UK or e.g. the USA.

Speaking from personal experience, dispatch usually happens 1-2 days after ordering, but I have had orders that to much londer to be dispatched (famous Future customer service quality at work there). And once it has been dispatched, the usual time to arrive in Germany is about 7-9 days - I'd expect in the UK ist should be 1-2 days.
Lol I wrote that post on my phone in a huff after getting nothing from the postie :D

Yeah, I'm in the UK and also, I meant April. I have no idea if I got a despatch confirmation, I just expected it to be here by now.

Maybe it's time to resub...
Thoughts and prayers.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed May 06, 2020 3:26 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:15 pm
Maybe it's time to resub...
Could be. I had a sub payment from my bank account within the last month, so if you've subscribed continually since the issue 19 restart with the new publisher you'd be in line with me.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:43 pm

I subbed from roughly 2008 to 2016, but let it lapse. At one point I had 6 month's worth sitting waiting to be read. I took some time off, but still picked up the odd issue if the contents piqued my fancy. I don't buy any other magazines these days.
Thoughts and prayers.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu May 07, 2020 5:06 am

Charco wrote:
Sat May 02, 2020 12:08 pm
Correct, I am a subscriber. I didn't receive any email with a link. I'd rather read the physical copy, but who knows how long until things will be back to normal for those going out in the post. At least I could read them digitally if this is going to take a few months.
Just noticed that My Favourite Magazines are online and dealing with enquires at https://twitter.com/MyFaveMags

Maybe someone there can send you an email with a link to the digital copy.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:02 am

I hadnt got my digital copy, emailed their help team, took a few days and was given a link to a digital copy. All good

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu May 07, 2020 11:18 am

I can't talk for digital copies or subs, but if you're ordering 206 from MFM it will take around 3 weeks to turn up after dispatch.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu May 07, 2020 12:56 pm

Cool, thanks Andrew.
Thoughts and prayers.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Thu May 07, 2020 1:51 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:18 am
I can't talk for digital copies or subs, but if you're ordering 206 from MFM it will take around 3 weeks to turn up after dispatch.
I guess I can count myself lucky because in my experience dispatch to arrival in Germany has pretty much almost been little more than one week in the last few years, including the last two issues of RG (so #206 as well) and the current one of Edge.

That said, on the other subs copies tended to take up to 6 weeks before. And I don't trust Future to figure things out whenever the situation does go back to something resembling normal. I understand the editorial side can't do much or anything in that regards, but it's still frustrating.

And speaking of subs, since the email with the digital link to 207 just showed up in my inbox: I'm guessing that will again only be available through the website and only with the subs cover? In that case, please don't produce a regular cover we're not able to get at all, especially when it would have been better looking than the subs one (i.e. 9 out of 10 times, including the new one).

merman

Post by merman » Fri May 08, 2020 11:21 am

Weblaus wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:51 pm
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 11:18 am
I guess I can count myself lucky because in my experience dispatch to arrival in Germany has pretty much almost been little more than one week in the last few years, including the last two issues of RG (so #206 as well) and the current one of Edge.

That said, on the other subs copies tended to take up to 6 weeks before. And I don't trust Future to figure things out whenever the situation does go back to something resembling normal. I understand the editorial side can't do much or anything in that regards, but it's still frustrating.

And speaking of subs, since the email with the digital link to 207 just showed up in my inbox: I'm guessing that will again only be available through the website and only with the subs cover? In that case, please don't produce a regular cover we're not able to get at all, especially when it would have been better looking than the subs one (i.e. 9 out of 10 times, including the new one).
You do realise it was probably an automated script that put up the next issue cover, and the situation changed?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Fri May 08, 2020 12:08 pm

merman wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 11:21 am
You do realise it was probably an automated script that put up the next issue cover, and the situation changed?
You do realise that your smug tone doesn't come across that well when you clearly didn't read carefully what I wrote?

The next issue (i.e. #207) is available to subscribers for online reading as of yesterday - I know that because I got the mail from Future with the link for it.

That issue (again, #207) is there in all its 100 pages, with the cover being a typical retail design, while the editorial page shows both variants - I highly doubt an automated script was able to do the work of layouters and editors to achieve that, wouldn't you agree on at least that?

So I was inquiring if the situation has indeed changed sind the last one (that being #206) and if the new issue (#207) will again be available with both covers depending on where you order/buy them - I am allowed to do so, I hope?

And I added my request that - if the situation has not changed, and I can't realistically see how it should have - to not produce a cover variante I can't realistically get. Obviously the editorial doesn't have to respect my wish, but I would appreciate to know nevertheless. Preferrably without ill-advised snide comments like yours.

And by the way, since clearly you know it all, care to explain how mighty an automated script has to be that apparently nobody has been ablte to chance the cover of #206 on the website to the one you actually receive for more than 3 weeks now? Sure they don't have to because there's no other choice beside take it or leave it, but I'd think that would be the more correct way show something the way it's actually sold.