IMPORTANT - COVID-19 update

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Charco

Re: IMPORTANT - COVID-19 update

Post by Charco » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:43 pm

Any update on this?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:09 am

Charco wrote:
Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:43 pm
Any update on this?
None at the moment. We'll post something when we have something useful. My understanding is that the price of sending stuff over seas is really high at the moment due to planes being at a premium.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:47 am

They fly them! I'd always assumed they went via ship with the delays in getting to overseas customers.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Charco

Post by Charco » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:12 pm

Well that's disappointing as I have paid for my magazines.

Whazeboo

Post by Whazeboo » Tue Jun 23, 2020 2:23 pm

So far I have read issues 206, 207 and 208 in digital form. They will be bundled and sent hopefully anytime soon.
However, at least every week I receive spam to extend my subscription or buy some extra issues.

Sorry, but I get a deja-vu of a similar experience I had when I subscribed to a Belgian Cyberpunk magazine in the Nineties. When the frequency suddenly changed from monthly to quarterly they assured me month after month in letters it was temporary. Before the end of the year the magazine publisher went bust.

I'll think twice before renewing my subscription.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 pm

Charco wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:12 pm
Have you received your digital pdfs of the issues? I know it's not the same but it still allows you to read the magazine. If you haven't your email address possibly isn't on record and it can be updated here
https://future-publishing.msgfocus.com/ ... id19update

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:38 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:42 pm
Have you received your digital pdfs of the issues? I know it's not the same but it still allows you to read the magazine. If you haven't your email address possibly isn't on record and it can be updated here
I can't speak for him, but while I did get the email with the links to 206 and 207, there was no mail for 208 and I also never got the notice about delivery starting up again and the held back issues suppsedly shipping soon (or not, as we can safely say by now) as well.

As for high delivery costs being high, well: I the past few months, Future has managed to deliver every singly copy I ordered (5 or 6) and even in a pretty speedy manner without raising the prices compared to the pre-virus era. And I also received one letter and one postcard reminding me that my Edge subscription will be over soon-ish. So clearly they can afford all of that, but already paid-for subscriptions take the lowest priority possible.

Charco

Post by Charco » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:40 pm

Charco wrote:
No, I haven't received any emails with pdfs. I don't read digital versions of magazines anyway. Hopefully they arrive soon.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:47 am

Weblaus wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 2:38 pm
I can't speak for him, but while I did get the email with the links to 206 and 207, there was no mail for 208 and I also never got the notice about delivery starting up again and the held back issues suppsedly shipping soon (or not, as we can safely say by now) as well.

As for high delivery costs being high, well: I the past few months, Future has managed to deliver every singly copy I ordered (5 or 6) and even in a pretty speedy manner without raising the prices compared to the pre-virus era. And I also received one letter and one postcard reminding me that my Edge subscription will be over soon-ish. So clearly they can afford all of that, but already paid-for subscriptions take the lowest priority possible.
Remember that single copies of Retro Gamer are between 31% and 35% more expensive to send overseas than subscriber copies. When you take that into account it makes sense that subscription copies are given a lower priority by whichever delivery company has to get them from the UK to readers abroad.

The obvious solution to avoid slow deliveries of overseas subscriber copies would be to charge 31% to 35% more for overseas subscriptions. The question then is: would readers out with the UK pay those far more expensive subscription charges?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:49 am

Charco wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:40 pm
Charco wrote:
No, I haven't received any emails with pdfs. I don't read digital versions of magazines anyway. Hopefully they arrive soon.
my understanding is that bulk back orders aren't being sent out yet which is why the pdf offer is there. I'll let you know when I get more information.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:38 pm

Rory Milne wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:47 am
Remember that single copies of Retro Gamer are between 31% and 35% more expensive to send overseas than subscriber copies. When you take that into account it makes sense that subscription copies are given a lower priority by whichever delivery company has to get them from the UK to readers abroad.

The obvious solution to avoid slow deliveries of overseas subscriber copies would be to charge 31% to 35% more for overseas subscriptions. The question then is: would readers out with the UK pay those far more expensive subscription charges?
Oh, I know very well single copies are more expensive - because I've bought the last few issues just to make sure I get them (which I did) because I don't trust Future at all on really sending out and delivering the held back ones.

Just for the sake of comparison, though: In the rare cases you can find a single copy in a German store (usually that would mean airports or train stations in big cities), it's priced at something like 14 Euros - so buying directly still is quite a good deal.

And actually subsciriptions are even cheaper when you figure in the discounts Future is running all the time and/or when you renew for 2 years instead of one. I believe my most recent extension meant I'm paying less than 4 Euros per issue, which I certainly will agree is absurdly low. But since we're not given any choice to pay more for a better service, paying as little as possible seems fair to me, too.

That said, having talked with a number of other non-UK subscribers, I'm pretty sure a significant number wouldn't mind paying that theoretical third more if it would indeed guarantee a speedy and dependable delivery. I know I would, and I would switch over to single issue ordering right now for sure if my subscription wasn't still going on for a considerable while.

Madjock

Post by Madjock » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:02 pm

Just found this topic, I fully understand everyone is facing challenges during the pandemic and I'm supportive of the magazine taking steps to hold back issues to save costs.

All I would add is an email to affected subscribers would have been helpful, I did see the tweet about no in store issues available but took "Subscribers will receive physical copies" to include us international customers.

I've been chasing customer services to find out where 206,207 and 208 went (and they never confirmed back that they were not sent).

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm

Madjock wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:02 pm
Just found this topic, I fully understand everyone is facing challenges during the pandemic and I'm supportive of the magazine taking steps to hold back issues to save costs.

All I would add is an email to affected subscribers would have been helpful, I did see the tweet about no in store issues available but took "Subscribers will receive physical copies" to include us international customers.

I've been chasing customer services to find out where 206,207 and 208 went (and they never confirmed back that they were not sent).
The reason why the various tweets and posts were placed here and on social media is because not all subscribers' emails were on file, which probably explains why you've not heard anything. The idea is to fill out that form so you could receive PDFs while you waited for issues to turn up. I'm not sure why the subs department doesn't have those records, but that's why were were asked to notify people. I appreciate it's frustrating to hear about this now.
If you've had no emails it's because MFM don't have it. You can rectify that by updating the information found here
[url]https://future-publishing.msgfocus.com/ ... update/url]

Charco

Post by Charco » Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:22 pm

I already completed that form and never received any emails.

Madjock

Post by Madjock » Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:07 pm

Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:19 pm
The reason why the various tweets and posts were placed here and on social media is because not all subscribers' emails were on file, which probably explains why you've not heard anything. The idea is to fill out that form so you could receive PDFs while you waited for issues to turn up. I'm not sure why the subs department doesn't have those records, but that's why were were asked to notify people. I appreciate it's frustrating to hear about this now.
If you've had no emails it's because MFM don't have it. You can rectify that by updating the information found here
[url]https://future-publishing.msgfocus.com/ ... update/url]
Fair enough, form submitted, ta.