IMPORTANT - COVID-19 update

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

NickThorpe

IMPORTANT - COVID-19 update

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:54 am

As announced elsewhere: Due to COVID-19, Retro Gamer will not be available in stores for the time being. Subscribers will receive physical copies, and limited physical issues will be available at https://myfavouritemagazines.co.uk UK subs are available – otherwise please consider a digital subscription. Stay safe!

To further elaborate, existing overseas subscriptions will temporarily be fulfilled digitally, with issues printed and stored for when they can be sent safely, but no new international print subscriptions are being sold for the time being. No printed copies will be sent to UK newsagents or supermarkets, but some single copies will be available to buy online - there will only be one cover for these printed issues, which will be the subscriber version. UK subscriptions will continue to be sold and sent as usual. These measures will begin with issue 206 and be reviewed each month as the situation develops.

Please ask any questions here, and I'll try to provide answers for you.

RichL

Re: IMPORTANT - COVID-19 update

Post by RichL » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:35 am

Official PlayStation are also ensuring paper subscribers get a free digital copy of the magazine so in the event that delivery is affected and delays happen. Is this anything RG are considering?

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:22 am

RichL wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:35 am
Official PlayStation are also ensuring paper subscribers get a free digital copy of the magazine so in the event that delivery is affected and delays happen. Is this anything RG are considering?
My understanding is that all readers of Future mags are receiving a digital copy. If you've not had an email about it it's possible your details aren't fully updated on the system. They can be updated by visiting the following link.
https://future-publishing.msgfocus.com/ ... id19update

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:34 am

Thanks Darran, to be honest with you I’ve only had the email off PlayStation magazine but cheers for clearing it up, appreciate it. Stay safe and keep up the amazingly good work.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:04 pm

just had my email to say my sub copy is on the way and a link to the digital edition

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:34 am

update got my sub copy today

vic26

Post by vic26 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:14 pm

Hi,

Received my subscriber copy today, thanks guys, but trying to register on www.favoritemagazines.co.uk/youraccount as the paper insert suggests, however it says I need a 10 digit subscriber number beginning with 4.

The numbers printed above my address are 345, then a big space then a 14 digit number starting with a 3, which the site won't accept? (

I have been a subscriber since the Imagine/Live days so maybe I have a different number?)

Cheers

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:47 pm

vic26 wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:14 pm
The numbers printed above my address are 345, then a big space then a 14 digit number starting with a 3, which the site won't accept? (

I have been a subscriber since the Imagine/Live days so maybe I have a different number?)

Cheers
If you've renewed your subscription through myfavouritemagazines before you should have some emails with your sub number in it - e.g. a "Welcome to Retro Gamer Print" email after the subscription is purchased.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:51 am

vic26 wrote:
Hi,

Received my subscriber copy today, thanks guys, but trying to register on www.favoritemagazines.co.uk/youraccount as the paper insert suggests, however it says I need a 10 digit subscriber number beginning with 4.

Cheers
I have 31074 instead of 345 above my address - it's probably a bigger number than yours because I subscribed much later than you, then a big space, a 14 digit number starting with 3 then another big space and finally a 10 digit number starting with 4 - that's my subscriber number.

Stupid question, but does your paper insert not have a third number starting with 4?

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:59 am

Just noticed on the myfavouritemagazines.co.uk registration page that it says: 'To open an account, you must have an email address registered with us.'

Is is possible that you didn't give Live or Imagine an email address when you set up your subscription and then didn't give Live or Imagine or Future your email address at any point after that?

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:54 am

Right. I've just spotted a possible workaround, although if you have a common surname it probably won't work. On the register page it says: 'If your details are not recognised or partially recognised, a letter will be sent to the delivery address of your magazine with a temporary username and password for you to access your account.'

So if you fill in the form with a made up 10 digit subscriber number starting with 4, like 4444444444, then the other details it asks for: your email address, surname, Retro Gamer for the magazine you subscribe to and the password you want to access your account with then the system *might* post you a temporary username and password to get into your account.

I reckon this is only going to work if there aren't any other Retro Gamer subscribers with your surname, and the system could be configured in such a way that a correct subscriber number is key, but it's worth a shot if you can't wait until after the lockdown when you'll be able to speak to someone from customer service to get your account working.

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Apr 10, 2020 6:05 am

vic26 wrote:
Hi,

Cheers
Sigh! Just got my sub copy of issue 206 through the post, and my 10 digit subscriber number isn't on the paper insert.

It is on the paper insert that I got with issue 205, but if you recycled yours - and the ones from previous issues - then you won't know what your sub number is - assuming you have one.

Hope the workaround I suggested works in that case.

vic26

Post by vic26 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:36 am

Thanks Guys, I'll have a play with this and report back later on.

(Don't think I have an email registered, never had to renew the subscription, its just been on a continuous direct debit)

Cheers

vic26

Post by vic26 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:39 am

futher update, I've just noticed on the very right had edge of the paper after the 14 digit number I can just make out the digit 4 and then half of an 8 so it appears the paper was missed in the printer :-(

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:39 am

Rory Milne wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:51 am
I have 31074 instead of 345 above my address - it's probably a bigger number than yours because I subscribed much later than you, then a big space, a 14 digit number starting with 3 then another big space and finally a 10 digit number starting with 4 - that's my subscriber number.
I'm glad you confirmed that, since I looked at a couple of unopened back issues and determined that must be it as the only constant. Hopefully it all works out and I get the electronic copy, though the hard copy of the latest issue dropped through the door today.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.