Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
BiNMaN
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:46 am

Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by BiNMaN » Sat Feb 15, 2020 9:48 am

Nice Piece on the PC Engine.

What would have been nice would have been a box out on Stephen Lowe and PC Engine Supplies (later Console Concepts, not to mention being the first official importer of the mega drive) from here on sunny Stoke-on-Trent. Probably for the most part that without him most folks wouldn't have got one or probably heard of it over here as it would never get a UK release. I remember going with him to that there London to pick up the first batch to hit these shores, not to mention going to trade shows.

He was a big part of the UK PC Engine history imho,

User avatar
Crusty Starfish
Posts: 449
Joined: Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:38 pm

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:35 pm

It's a great article on the PC Engine. Not read anything else yet... BUT, it looks like the cover was produced by a 5yr old that's been asked to draw a games console :O

Some of the Subs covers have been really good - this is the worst so far (imho)... as with always, the content is the stuff that counts though :)

User avatar
ely
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by ely » Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:24 am

Just to even things up,I think the cover looks fantastic. But yeah I agree the content is far more important :)

User avatar
RetroBob
Posts: 3207
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:48 pm

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by RetroBob » Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:38 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:35 pm
It's a great article on the PC Engine. Not read anything else yet... BUT, it looks like the cover was produced by a 5yr old that's been asked to draw a games console :O

Some of the Subs covers have been really good - this is the worst so far (imho)... as with always, the content is the stuff that counts though :)
Agreed, this looks so weird and not in a good way.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

User avatar
merman
Posts: 6389
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:14 pm
Location: Skegness, UK
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by merman » Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:39 am

The subs cover is fine, I think it works ok.

Great mix of stuff in this issue, really enjoyed the Jeff Lee interview and the making of Footballer of the Year.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

AceGrace
Posts: 1364
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:51 pm
Location: West Sussex
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by AceGrace » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:24 pm

Cover shot? I always have to tell my wife what the cover looks like to make sure she doesn't get the old mag.

RichL
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by RichL » Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:50 pm

The cover just does not bother me. It’s what’s inside that counts.

User avatar
PostieDoc
Posts: 796
Joined: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by PostieDoc » Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:24 pm

Good stuff inside but I am with those who don't like the subs cover.

NorthWay
Posts: 1582
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:02 am
Location: Grimstad, Norway

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by NorthWay » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:06 pm

The subscriber cover was a bit wtf...

rinzwind
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 6:35 am

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by rinzwind » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:39 am

Problem with the subscriber cover is that they remove details. Make it way too basic. Also nostalgia asks for covers like in store. Screaming interesting stuff at you. So yeah I dont think these unique covers are a good idea. I prefer the store covers in this case. It also seems pretty clear more attention is put on the store covers than subs. A cover should grab your attention, subscriber or not. So please reconsider. I understand the idea, but its not working out IMHO of course.

User avatar
RuySan
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:38 pm

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by RuySan » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:30 am

rinzwind wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:39 am
Problem with the subscriber cover is that they remove details. Make it way too basic. Also nostalgia asks for covers like in store. Screaming interesting stuff at you. So yeah I dont think these unique covers are a good idea. I prefer the store covers in this case. It also seems pretty clear more attention is put on the store covers than subs. A cover should grab your attention, subscriber or not. So please reconsider. I understand the idea, but its not working out IMHO of course.
Yes, old school magazines had busy and epic covers, not minimalistic. I think they're misjudging their audience.
Image

User avatar
ely
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by ely » Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:44 am

I used to buy EDGE when it came in the plastic bag on the shelf in WHSmiths and you didn't know what was even on the cover never mind the content. Surely once you've built up a certain idea about what a magazine is going to give you the "selling" part is irrelevant, and given we're talking about "Subscriber" covers, those people are already sold on the product.

User avatar
Antiriad2097
Posts: 26695
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 2:48 pm
Location: http://s11.zetaboards.com/RetroLeague/
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:07 am

It does come with a hiccup though. The people who subscribe to RG will often be collector types.

These people will collect the mag.

When they later want to find an article or pick up a back issue to read, the regular cover gives at least a vague outline of the major contents. The subs cover isn't helpful in that regard, since it only indicates one particular feature in the issue.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

User avatar
ely
Posts: 93
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:09 am
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by ely » Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:19 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:07 am
It does come with a hiccup though. The people who subscribe to RG will often be collector types.

These people will collect the mag.

When they later want to find an article or pick up a back issue to read, the regular cover gives at least a vague outline of the major contents. The subs cover isn't helpful in that regard, since it only indicates one particular feature in the issue.
Yeah that's a fair point. I'm not one who keeps my magazines, I used to but found that they just piled up never to be read again. In this modern age I have more than enough content to consume that means I never go back to reread anything.

RichL
Posts: 694
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:03 pm

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 204

Post by RichL » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:51 am

Folks, when's the new issue out?

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests