JSW guided tour (issue 201)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fawltykog

Re: JSW guided tour (issue 201)

Post by Fawltykog » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:54 pm

Mr Smith & Manic Miner & Jet Set Willy really deserve a issue of RG dedicated to them, i'd buy it. :)

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:26 pm

ely wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:27 am
DRS wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:16 am
Thanks for the kind words though I also feel a right t***. I stupidly thought that first comment was saying I'd done a good job as 'the author'. I felt all warm inside at receiving unsolicited praise. But of course he actually meant Matthew Smith. I am duly chastised. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. Sorry. But still glad the piece has been well received!
To be fair to you though, you've cultivated a relationship with Matt over many years and so in all likelihood without that in place we'd never get an article like this so you should take some of the praise for a journalistic job well done.
Agreed, and tbh I'd go a step further and say you should take massive credit. It was well written, funny and you obviously have a good enough relationship with Mr.Smith to get such from-the-heart comments. It COULD have just been a load of screenshots with by-the-numbers commentary on how to complete it, but instead we got stuff that we would never otherwise get; not even looking through the internet. And is what RG always was, and always should be , about.

The feature made me buy the mag for the first time since I was a subscriber up to about issue 120-130 or so, and it was all I could and hoped it would be. I can't praise it more than that really.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

DRS

Post by DRS » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:07 am

paranoid marvin wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:26 pm
ely wrote:
DRS wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:16 am
Thanks for the kind words though I also feel a right t***. I stupidly thought that first comment was saying I'd done a good job as 'the author'. I felt all warm inside at receiving unsolicited praise. But of course he actually meant Matthew Smith. I am duly chastised. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. Sorry. But still glad the piece has been well received!
To be fair to you though, you've cultivated a relationship with Matt over many years and so in all likelihood without that in place we'd never get an article like this so you should take some of the praise for a journalistic job well done.
Agreed, and tbh I'd go a step further and say you should take massive credit. It was well written, funny and you obviously have a good enough relationship with Mr.Smith to get such from-the-heart comments. It COULD have just been a load of screenshots with by-the-numbers commentary on how to complete it, but instead we got stuff that we would never otherwise get; not even looking through the internet. And is what RG always was, and always should be , about.

The feature made me buy the mag for the first time since I was a subscriber up to about issue 120-130 or so, and it was all I could and hoped it would be. I can't praise it more than that really.
Well, this is lovely unsolicited praise (though now feel I DID solicit it by making a point of liking unsolicited praise...) Either way, cheers mate - glad it made you smile. And glad you revisited old RG for this feature... and hope you stay for a while [in C64's Mission Impossible voice]

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:18 pm

DRS wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:07 am
paranoid marvin wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:26 pm
ely wrote:

Well, this is lovely unsolicited praise (though now feel I DID solicit it by making a point of liking unsolicited praise...) Either way, cheers mate - glad it made you smile. And glad you revisited old RG for this feature... and hope you stay for a while [in C64's Mission Impossible voice]
Impossible Mission... silly boy. :D

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:32 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:18 pm
Which would be a wonderful idea for the next room-based game guided tour!

(obviously joking ^_^)

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:26 pm

Chinnico wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:32 am
Crusty Starfish wrote:

(obviously joking ^_^)
:lol: :lol:

merman

Post by merman » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:34 pm

Chinnico wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:32 am
Crusty Starfish wrote:

(obviously joking ^_^)
Each room in the C64 version has a number (log in to the computer terminal and it is shown there)...

...but the layout of Elvin Atombender's lair is procedurally generated at the start of each game, giving a changing assortment of lifts and rooms.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube