JSW guided tour (issue 201)

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

smccd

JSW guided tour (issue 201)

Post by smccd » Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:15 am

The Jet Set Willy guided tour (with Matthew Smith) is probably the best Retro Gamer article I've read, since I subscribed around issue 77.
If not #1, it's definitely top 5!

A fully-screenshotted walkthrough by the game's author is a great idea, and you should feature more articles as such. Or maybe WHO the author was had a lot to do with how enjoyable the article was...

DRS

Re: JSW guided tour (issue 201)

Post by DRS » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:41 pm

Well what a kind thing to say. Cheers mate. And for those wondering, I do not know who smccd is. If it's you Dad, thanks but we've talked about this before...

Also, I too like the guided tour/director's commentary format - for 8-bit games which often had specific screens, I think it works well - I've only managed to do Manic Miner, Aztec Challenge and Son of Blagger in the past but I will take this as a nudge to perhaps pitch others - and maybe other freelancers might do the same?

All the best!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:24 am

DRS wrote:
Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:41 pm
Well what a kind thing to say. Cheers mate. And for those wondering, I do not know who smccd is. If it's you Dad, thanks but we've talked about this before...

Also, I too like the guided tour/director's commentary format - for 8-bit games which often had specific screens, I think it works well - I've only managed to do Manic Miner, Aztec Challenge and Son of Blagger in the past but I will take this as a nudge to perhaps pitch others - and maybe other freelancers might do the same?

All the best!
I've already pitched darran a similar feature on Tantalus.
Its 1000 screens but i reckon it would just about fit in a whole issue

Ps: in all seriousness great feature mate.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:52 pm

I'd think the main thing a room by room guide to Tantalus would tell you is that the map is very repetitive.

JSW, on the other hand, is one of those games where every screen has it's own little story.

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Agreed, loved it.

ely

Post by ely » Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:54 am

Yeah, what others have said, loved it. It was great way to put together the thinking behind all the oddities of such a seminal title of the era.

In all honestly I don't think it's that great a "game" (Manic Miner has more replayability to me), but it's impact at the time and the proceeding years since mark it out as something a bit special.

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:16 am

Thanks for the kind words though I also feel a right t***. I stupidly thought that first comment was saying I'd done a good job as 'the author'. I felt all warm inside at receiving unsolicited praise. But of course he actually meant Matthew Smith. I am duly chastised. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. Sorry. But still glad the piece has been well received!

ely

Post by ely » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:27 am

DRS wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:16 am
Thanks for the kind words though I also feel a right t***. I stupidly thought that first comment was saying I'd done a good job as 'the author'. I felt all warm inside at receiving unsolicited praise. But of course he actually meant Matthew Smith. I am duly chastised. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity. Sorry. But still glad the piece has been well received!
To be fair to you though, you've cultivated a relationship with Matt over many years and so in all likelihood without that in place we'd never get an article like this so you should take some of the praise for a journalistic job well done.

Arnie

Post by Arnie » Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:05 am

I agree, this was a very good article in one of the better issues in a long while.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:48 pm

It's good you guys like the article. For me, it was the first article in ages I did not read from start to end.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:19 am

As a non-Us resident in your early 30s, that doesn't surprise me. Matt and Manic Miner/Jet Set Willy are peculiarly British icons. For many people, Matther Smith will be the only programmer they could name, as well known as the games themselves and holding a place in our history right up there with Sir Clive and the Spectrum.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DRS

Post by DRS » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:38 am

Yeah, I can understand that Nikolai - thanks for at least reading some of it! It helps if you've always wanted to know just why Matthew put some weird creature in some odd location and where the idea came from... and for many of us who grew up with MM/JSW, as Antiriad notes, it really does. Ah, nostalgia. Cheers all for the kind words too.

merman

Post by merman » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 am

I really enjoyed it.

When I interviewed the creator of Space Taxi, he gave me notes on all the levels. Unfortunately only a couple of those comments ended up in the mag...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:53 am

By all means, I don't expect the mag to be written for me exclusively. :) It is a testament to the mag that I read probably 99% from start to finish despite not having personal experience with much of it. It helps being a historian I guess. ;) But I did read perhaps half of the article, that in itself must be half decent, right? Right? ;)

DRS

Post by DRS » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:30 am

merman wrote:
Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:02 am
I really enjoyed it.

When I interviewed the creator of Space Taxi, he gave me notes on all the levels. Unfortunately only a couple of those comments ended up in the mag...
I love that game. And wish we'd had a guided tour of it! I suppose not as many people know of it's charms as some other 8-bit multi-screen games - though that's actually more of a reason to do it as it is an ace game which deserves more recognition. Happy xmas back at ya Merman.