Retro Gamer - Issue 200

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

ncf1

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 200

Post by ncf1 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:50 am

I want to know what that machine Darran has in his collection that has a coin slot and Outrun running on it... never seen the likes of it before, is it a MAME setup of some kind??

RichardC74

Post by RichardC74 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:35 am

Not had chance to read it yet as usual it's not appeared on Google newsstand yet

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:32 am

Excellent issue, well done. Still the only magazine i've ever subscribed to.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

ely

Post by ely » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:04 am

I've finished this issue now and I read every single article which I don't often do. Even the World of Warcraft article was interesting even though that's not a game I've ever played or even will frankly.

Great job guys. Looking forward to many more issues in the future.

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:11 pm

I cancelled my sub a while ago, and just buy the odd mag. guess I had a few issues left as my subscriber issue arrived in the post.

listed it on Ebay at 99p start and someone in Germany bought it for £20 bloody quid.

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:53 am

Ah it is lovely reading this thread - it is indeed heartening to hear the congratulations for reaching 200 and the positive feedback on this epic issue. Makes me feel very proud being a part of the mag since issue 5. Cheers.

Yet, it is the way of the human that of course I am focusing on the negative. RichL, I saw your comments that there had already been an article on Spacewar in the mag.... has there been?! I'm sorry if I sound defensive but I was so chuffed to get an interview with Steve Russell (which is really due to the efforts of Richard Burton and Anthony Caulfield - cheers again boys) about the creation of the very first 'proper' videogame. Are you thinking of 3D Space War, the Speccy game, which appeared a few issues ago? This game is from 1962, when Sir Clive was still working on growing a ginger beard. Apologies if I've made a mistake (about a previous article, not Sir Clive's facial hair)

The comments by Ely on interviewing Matt Smith about a difficult time in his life are fair, though. As you can perhaps detect in the opening of that piece, I am honest at how uncomfortable I felt at times. I have known Matt since 2004 and been up to see him in Liverpool 7 times since then, sometimes to do interviews, sometimes just to say hello and drink (not always Absinthe, I promise) and he's stayed at mine in Nottingham. He is a really nice bloke and a friend... and you don't want to make a friend miserable. But he does share his story willingly and does have a real turn of phrase - next issue, there'll be the complete '60 room tour' of JSW and he comes out with some great quips. And he was grinning and laughing, even as he cursed some of the people and happenings from back then.

And finally, I do see this as JSW and MM 'done' in terms of RG coverage - until another Matthew Smith Miner Willy game appears (which I never quite lose hope for...)

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the issue - I'm onto the 90s now so plenty still to go! - well done Daz, Nicky, Drew and all the freelancing team!

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:56 am

Marty Goldberg wrote a piece called 'Before Videogames' back in 2012 that had four paragraphs and two captions on Spacewar, maybe RichL is remembering that - see link below:

https://archive.org/stream/retro_gamer/ ... 1/mode/2up

There's no interview with Steve Russell in it, mind. It's just a potted history of the game as part of a much broader feature. :)

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:06 am

Rory your powers of recall are impressive! Ta. And nice work on this issue of RG - as always

Rory Milne

Post by Rory Milne » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:47 am

Ha! I have a memory like a sieve! :) I only remembered Marty Goldberg's piece because it mentioned PLATO, which I've always thought was super-cool.

Thanks for the compliment, though. :) And thanks for pitching your excellent Matt Smith article for 200, without which I wouldn't have been asked to write the complementary Bedroom Coders feature that I put together.

ely

Post by ely » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:53 am

DRS wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:53 am
The comments by Ely on interviewing Matt Smith about a difficult time in his life are fair, though. As you can perhaps detect in the opening of that piece, I am honest at how uncomfortable I felt at times. I have known Matt since 2004 and been up to see him in Liverpool 7 times since then, sometimes to do interviews, sometimes just to say hello and drink (not always Absinthe, I promise) and he's stayed at mine in Nottingham. He is a really nice bloke and a friend... and you don't want to make a friend miserable. But he does share his story willingly and does have a real turn of phrase - next issue, there'll be the complete '60 room tour' of JSW and he comes out with some great quips. And he was grinning and laughing, even as he cursed some of the people and happenings from back then.
This is good to hear. As I said in the comment, although it seemed like he was less than happy to talk about that time we as readers couldn't see how he was when telling the stories.

Looking forward to the 60 room tour next issue :)

merman

Post by merman » Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:01 pm

Well, finally had the time to read the issue - and it's a very fitting way to mark such an important issue.

I joked with Nick on Twitter about making issue 255 an 8-bit special...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ely

Post by ely » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:38 am

merman wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:01 pm
I joked with Nick on Twitter about making issue 255 an 8-bit special...
Brilliant, although wouldn't it be Issue 256? Unless there was an Issue 0 I'm not aware of :)

merman

Post by merman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:26 am

255 is the maximum an 8-bit address can hold. Which Nick got...
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

ely

Post by ely » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:48 pm

merman wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:26 am
255 is the maximum an 8-bit address can hold. Which Nick got...
No, I know that, but you can have all bits set to zero, so that gives you 256 different values. Anyway, either way, it's a great idea :)

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:15 pm

For what it's worth, 8 bits refers to the width of the data bus, not the address bus. Most of the 8 bit machines we know and love could handle considerably larger addresses, typically in the 12-16 bit range. That's just as well really, as you can't get a lot of game in 256 bytes.

Anyway, I think its a great idea to make 255 all about the 8 bits, while 256 can be for the 16-bits as that value ticks over.