Retro Gamer - Issue 199

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 199

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:43 am

Thanks, but I can hardly take the credit for the feature. I only contributed the "Does It Run Doom?" spread, as I suffer from motion sickness while playing Doom - the bulk of the feature was put together by Adam Barnes and Darran.

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:50 am

With all the previous articles on Doom, and having read the Masters of Doom book ... can there really be anything left to be said about Doom?
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:05 pm

Not a lot in this issue for me but I was delighted to see a 2 page spread of one of my favourite Vic-20 games, Radar Rat Race. I spent many childhood hours playing this although my parents made me turn the sound down, not being too keen on Three Blind Mice on repeat!

RichL

Post by RichL » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:28 am

Just finished cover to cover. Thoroughly enjoyable issue.

Sometimes the things that don’t appeal to me I’ll read regardless. Amstrad Action, never read the mag back in the day but would have always read a retrospective article about it.

ely

Post by ely » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 am

RichL wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:28 am

Sometimes the things that don’t appeal to me I’ll read regardless. Amstrad Action, never read the mag back in the day but would have always read a retrospective article about it.
Yeah I'm the same, never read the magazine it but the article about it was a great read. I'm hoping for more Magazine Retrospectives in the future. I'd love ones on The One, Games Machine and ACE.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:39 am

NickThorpe wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:43 am
Thanks, but I can hardly take the credit for the feature. I only contributed the "Does It Run Doom?" spread, as I suffer from motion sickness while playing Doom - the bulk of the feature was put together by Adam Barnes and Darran.

That's interesting, the motion sickness thing. I never struck it playing Doom, but did get it quite badly playing certain FPS games. Medal of Honour was one, Descent another. It's just something I find interesting that some games affect me and some don't. I haven't played VR games long enough to know if that'd do the same for me, but always found it odd some FPS are fine, others not. So happy Goldeneye and Perfect Dark never affected me either, I'd have been devastated :lol:

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:41 pm

ely wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:25 am
RichL wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:28 am

Yeah I'm the same, never read the magazine it but the article about it was a great read. I'm hoping for more Magazine Retrospectives in the future. I'd love ones on The One, Games Machine and ACE.
Articles about those magazines would be really good, I agree.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:54 pm

I'm sure we'll see another magazine retrospective in the near future :-)

Personally, I'd love to see the magazine section of Back to the Noughties expanded to a half or full page, with commentary provided by a Future/Paragon/Imagine/etc. staff member on what was happening behind the scenes.

Gary Plowman

Post by Gary Plowman » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:16 am

Really a great issue! Loved it! And the Doom and Gauntlet stuff was the icing on the cake - a favourite for the PC, and another from the Arcade... :D
The Micro Kids: An 80s Adventure with ZX Spectrum, Commodore 64 and more
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474462/

ZX Spectrum Games Code Club
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0993474403/

ianpmarks

Post by ianpmarks » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:05 pm

Really enjoyed this issue.
Doom article was great, Gauntlet article really interesting, Amstrad Action article good too - despite never having read it. Also great to see Links Awakening in the magazine. Although it did say it was under rated Zelda game. By who? I've only ever read and heard from people who think it's great... because it is great.