screenshots

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Djeroek

screenshots

Post by Djeroek » Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:57 pm

Grts from Holland, loving the magazine / nostalgia overload!

Question(s);

I understand you capture in-game screenshots from emulators as this is the easiest to do, it takes away authenticity for me as the rounding of pixels from a crt is lost / no scanlines...it feels blocky and too clean. How did magazines in the past take screenshots, photography? I know emulators like mame can emulate scanlines, but nothing compares to the real thing imo. Would it be possible to get more of a electrolyte smell from the mag? :)

cheers,

Richard

merman

Re: screenshots

Post by merman » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:19 pm

At its most basic, magazines used to take photos of the screen.
For example, Newsfield photographer Cameron Pound used to put a blanket over his head and the camera to reduce glare. The photos were developed and then pasted into the layout.

By the early 1990s the first screen grabbers arrived - at its simplest, this was a device attached to the output of the computer and fed signals into the Apple Mac doing the typesetting/layout to capture the screen.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

antsbull

Re: screenshots

Post by antsbull » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:32 am

Actually, I was wondering this too. What do you guys use to get your N64 screenshots from - they always look incredible compared to the ones in my old N64 mags? an Ultra HDMI?