From the Forum - Issue 197: Shenmue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

From the Forum - Issue 197: Shenmue

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 am

Hello everybody, long time no see! For some reason, I haven't done the Mailbag in months. But now I'm back at it, so we're going to tease your brains until they emit something I can print. So right now, I would like you to consider the following question:

Shenmue - love it or loathe it?

This is one that splits the office. Darran's not a fan, and feels that the game never lived up to the promises of full freedom that were made in the press back in the late 90s. As far as he sees it, it's a game where he gets to the arcade and then just stops because Space Harrier is more fun. I loved both of the original games - I felt that the illusion of a real, functioning world was greater than it had been in any game before, and enjoyed the battles more than I have done in just about any other RPG.

As usual, some answers will be printed in the magazine, as chosen by The Algorithm™ (an unsuccessful local rapper who could do with the work).

Crusty Starfish

Re: From the Forum - Issue 197: Shenmue

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:48 pm

We played Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 rather a lot on the Dreamcast, so when we got Shenmue and plodded around for a while, the kids decided it was rubbish and it never went back on!

All these years later I still haven't played it properly. I really must change that.

Goemon

Post by Goemon » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Love it.

It still (IMO) has one of the best examples of a living world in a video game, nearly 20 years on.

I remember being in a shop and speaking to a guy behind the counter. Go in a bar that night and there’s the same guy laughing and clapping, having a few drinks. I start heading home after looking for sailers and there’s the SAME guy, walking home drunk!!

Such an wonderful sense of being in a world where other people are living their lives. Amazing.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:51 pm

Loved it on the Dreamcast but tried the remaster and it has not aged well at all.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:09 pm

I loved the concept, but must admit I never played it that much in depth to assess it fairly. It wowed me when a had a Dreamcast, but never seemed to have the time to sit down and get stuck in...much like many modern games! Better suited for kids with plenty of disposable time!

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:08 pm

i got it for Christmas the year it came out (2000) fell in love with it the moment i saw the opening intro every year around december 1st i fire up the dreamcast and start a new playthrough

RichPT

Post by RichPT » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:02 pm

Shemue is the 2nd best game ever. I used to randomly follow people around to see where they went when they left work etc. My favourite was the helpful guy from the burger bar. He always gives you friendly advice if you talk to him when he's at work but if you try to talk to him when he's shopping or walking home - he abuses you and tells you to get lost.
NickThorpe wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:03 am
This is one that splits the office. Darran's not a fan, and feels that the game never lived up to the promises of full freedom that were made in the press back in the late 90s. As far as he sees it, it's a game where he gets to the arcade and then just stops because Space Harrier is more fun. I loved both of the original games - I felt that the illusion of a real, functioning world was greater than it had been in any game before, and enjoyed the battles more than I have done in just about any other RPG.
I agree with you Nick. Shenmue was advertised and hyped all wrong. It's not a sandbox game, it's an action RPG (Virtual Fighter RPG) with more freedom than any other RPG at that time. If people had realised that I think they would have enjoyed and understood it better. if people go into it expecting complete freedom they will of course find it limiting.

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:39 am

Love it.

It was the first time I truly felt that my character inhabited a living, breathing world.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:41 am

It was the game that introduced me to hanging around the docks looking for sailors.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:23 am

RichL wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:41 am
It was the game that introduced me to hanging around the docks looking for sailors.
'Introduced' you to...? And what game did you graduate too after that in this regard? :wink:

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:08 pm

Forklift truck driver simulator :D :D