Retro Gamer - Issue 193

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Crusty Starfish

Retro Gamer - Issue 193

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:57 pm

Anyone else got this? Subscriber cover is Mortal Combat... can't get it at the mo as it's in the car - that's at work! :roll:

Some great stuff in there (I'm no Mortal Combat fan) but 35 Mastertronic Games is a nice little article (after the disappointment of the Kickstarter book not coming off) would have liked a MASSIVE article though!
Lego C64 :shock: wow! Some people build the strangest things. Pretty cool though.
Paradroid and speccy clones article is good.

Did read loads more but can't remember the rest.

psj3809

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 193

Post by psj3809 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:13 am

Yeah i've never been a Mortal Kombat fan but as you say the Mastertronic list looks great. Some other features i like the look of

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:26 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:57 pm
Anyone else got this? Subscriber cover is Mortal Combat... can't get it at the mo as it's in the car - that's at work! :roll:

Some great stuff in there (I'm no Mortal Combat fan) but 35 Mastertronic Games is a nice little article (after the disappointment of the Kickstarter book not coming off) would have liked a MASSIVE article though!
Lego C64 :shock: wow! Some people build the strangest things. Pretty cool though.

I did pitch an entire issue of Retro Gamer dedicated to mastertronic but for some reason Darran turned the idea down 😆
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:47 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:26 am
Crusty Starfish wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:57 pm

I did pitch an entire issue of Retro Gamer dedicated to mastertronic but for some reason Darran turned the idea down 😆
How about a Kickstarter :lol: No, seriously - we need a proper look at Mastertronic and the book that has been ditched by thieving w##ker that started it sounded SO good! Someone in the UK should do one of them. You'd be a good candidate :wink:

RichL

Post by RichL » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:32 am

Dreary subs cover this month.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:04 pm

What's that about the book? I thought it was still (slowly) happening.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:02 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:04 pm
You've got to be kidding! The thieving bass has done a runner with our cash, scarpered into the bush on a kangaroo.

Kickstarter have their money so don't give a flying fig about all of us that lost money. I keep saying 'I'm never using Kockstarter again' and then something else awesomely retro turns up - I'm looking at you Antstream and the new Atari book by Grefox!!!!!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:21 am

I thought someone else had taken over the project. Oh well, maybe someday it'll fly.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:07 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:02 pm
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:04 pm
You've got to be kidding! The thieving bass has done a runner with our cash, scarpered into the bush on a kangaroo.

Kickstarter have their money so don't give a flying fig about all of us that lost money. I keep saying 'I'm never using Kockstarter again' and then something else awesomely retro turns up - I'm looking at you Antstream and the new Atari book by Grefox!!!!!
Really?! Wow. I thought KS had a little more honour than IGG and the disgrace that was Vega+. Clearly not. Yeah, I am very hesitant to do any crowdfunding thing now thanks to some dodgy bastards that have got away with this sort of stuff unless it's like Fusion books and trustworthy ones with good records.

Atari VCS is one I continue to watch with interest.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Tue May 07, 2019 8:47 am

It seems that interest in the mag on the forum has died! Not only by forum members, but the mag team also.

No post with the cover, next to no comment regarding content, and 20 days after the mag hit door mats all is forgotten!

Hmmmm

ely

Post by ely » Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 am

To be honest it surprises me how little activity there is on here for the Magazine. Although it does seem to have really slowed in the last 6 months or so.

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Thu May 09, 2019 6:32 am

slightly disappointed in the mastertronic article. There isn't much content for the C16 in the mag, and it was an opportunity to get more screenshots from the C16 games.

Particularly given that for one of the games it states the C16 version's graphics were much better!

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Thu May 16, 2019 10:23 am

ely wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 8:40 am
To be honest it surprises me how little activity there is on here for the Magazine. Although it does seem to have really slowed in the last 6 months or so.
Yeah, it's not like it used to be. Often I notice I'll be the only user online! Sad really. Maybe all the big topics of retro conversation have been had?

I still subscribe and will continue to, unless they hike the prices.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Thu May 16, 2019 11:12 am

Sure the mag is still in good hands, all because the forum is quiet i wouldnt worry. Just a sign of the times , people chatting more on Facebook groups etc i think. like i say good issue for me this month and i'm looking forward to issue 200 !

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:43 am

Ha, the irony of reminiscing about a game forum on which we all used to reminisce about the past. Retro isn't what it used to be lol. I did use Retro Cafe for a bit, but found it a bit childish tbh.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."