Paid for 'free gifts'

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

djcarlos

Re: Paid for 'free gifts'

Post by djcarlos » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:34 am

I'd pay an extra tenner if I could get it on vinyl....

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:13 pm

I'd pay a tenner to see you play that in the car
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:09 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:13 pm
I'd pay a tenner to see you play that in the car
I've got one of these http://mentalfloss.com/article/555840/h ... ord-player

senzer

Post by senzer » Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:50 pm

I'm not subbing because your subscriptions department is awful. one look at the topic shows me many angry subscribers.

Yeah, slate me for complaining about paying an extra quid. Idiotic. I don't want their tat, it certainly isn't worth a pound, and I'm sure they are making an extra 90p off me..

why they think they deserve to ask for more when the mag is a fiver is madness. I'd pay a pound more if the issues went back to how good they used to be.

Mag is a shadow of its former self imo

learnedrobb

Post by learnedrobb » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:12 pm

senzer wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 3:50 pm
I'm not subbing because your subscriptions department is awful. one look at the topic shows me many angry subscribers.

Yeah, slate me for complaining about paying an extra quid. Idiotic. I don't want their tat, it certainly isn't worth a pound, and I'm sure they are making an extra 90p off me..

why they think they deserve to ask for more when the mag is a fiver is madness. I'd pay a pound more if the issues went back to how good they used to be.

Mag is a shadow of its former self imo
Simple answer then: If the extra quid offends you so much, just don't buy the issue. Problem solved.
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:47 pm

I'll tell you what Senzer. PM me your paypal address and I'll give you the quid back.

UK subs are just fine, thanks very much. There are very few problems, and UK complaints have been rare recently. Overseas subs are another matter...
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Guys I think it's a cry for help! Somebody's keeping senzer hostage while making him purchase every issue of RG! Otherwise why would he buy the mag that's a "shadow of it's former self" and costs a quid more due to inclusion of "useless tat"?!

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:31 am

I've been subscribing since Issue 3 and have never had one single problem.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 am

The £5.99 price point isn't a new policy, it's as old as the magazine is. When Retro Gamer launched in 2004, it came with a cover disc and cost £5.99. Then the price dropped to £4.99 with issue 19 late in 2005, since it didn't include a disc. (If you want to have some fun, adjust those figures for inflation.)

We go back to the original price point whenever we add a significant extra to the magazine, like a supplement or a cover disc. For a long time that was quite a rare event. The first time we did so was for issue 100, but we've been doing this more over the last year and a half. It's unfortunate that you don't feel that the extras are worth the cost, but as Darran already pointed out, you can subscribe to mitigate against the price differences. That's really your only option if you do want to keep getting the magazine without that extra £1 every now and again, as they're not going away - all the evidence we have suggests that the extras are popular, and we have more planned for coming issues.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:02 am

He's going to complain next about the unwanted free gifts that come with a subscription...

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:12 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 am
The £5.99 price point isn't a new policy, it's as old as the magazine is. When Retro Gamer launched in 2004, it came with a cover disc and cost £5.99. Then the price dropped to £4.99 with issue 19 late in 2005, since it didn't include a disc. (If you want to have some fun, adjust those figures for inflation.)

We go back to the original price point whenever we add a significant extra to the magazine, like a supplement or a cover disc. For a long time that was quite a rare event. The first time we did so was for issue 100, but we've been doing this more over the last year and a half. It's unfortunate that you don't feel that the extras are worth the cost, but as Darran already pointed out, you can subscribe to mitigate against the price differences. That's really your only option if you do want to keep getting the magazine without that extra £1 every now and again, as they're not going away - all the evidence we have suggests that the extras are popular, and we have more planned for coming issues.
I'd take an appropriate retro step backwards Nick and point out the surruptious price rise of magazines such As Your Sinclair in the 80s whenever they put a cassette on the cover. For example, the issue with batty on the cover was an extra 50p iirc over a cover price of £1 - a 50% increase! Yea Gods!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

ely

Post by ely » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:47 pm
I'll tell you what Senzer. PM me your paypal address and I'll give you the quid back.
Me too!
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:02 am
He's going to complain next about the unwanted free gifts that come with a subscription...
Or the fact that next month there is no free gift :lol:

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:58 pm

NickThorpe wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:55 am
We go back to the original price point whenever we add a significant extra to the magazine, like a supplement or a cover disc... and we have more planned for coming issues.
I I prefer the supplements myself, though I expect audio CDs have a greater impact on sales. I hope there are more game mag tributes planned for the coming year. I've been hoping for an Amstrad Action supplement since Future took over as publisher.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:28 pm

To be fair if there was an Amstrad action pamphlet I’ll join Senser in moaning about what a waste of money that’ll be :)

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:15 am

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:28 pm
To be fair if there was an Amstrad action pamphlet I’ll join Senser in moaning about what a waste of money that’ll be :)
But wasn't the Amstrad just an upgraded Spectrum with crappy scrolling?