From the forum: 192

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Crusty Starfish

Re: From the forum: 192

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:46 am

smccd wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:21 pm
Tie between Cabal and New Zealand Story on the Spectrum. One felt like a fantastical voyage through a world of wonder and the other was a simple bullet-to-the-face endeavor.

wow! At least they got the colour of the bird right in New Zealand Story :shock: :lol:

Elgin_McQueen

Post by Elgin_McQueen » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:18 pm

Best thing about Ocean Software was that my half-bro got a job there for a while. He'd send on BOXES of games every so often, meant I never really got the chance to fully delve into many cause there were too many to choose from.
TMR wrote: And you wonder why you're being labelled as elitist... you couldn't be any more elite if you were a wireframe.

Sokurah

Post by Sokurah » Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:10 am

That's a hard question - there are so many excellent Ocean games, but put on the spot I'd have to say Chase HQ.
Runners up would be Midnight Resistance, RoboCop and Where Time Stood Still.
There are more games that are technically better, but these are the ones that I enjoy the most.
Website: Tardis Remakes / Mostly remakes of Arcade and ZX Spectrum games. All freeware for PC & Mac.
Twitter: Sokurah

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:52 pm

How can I pick just one?!

Developed by and / or published by?

mlucifersam

Post by mlucifersam » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:37 am

Easily Wizball on the C64. Even though I converted the graphics for the Spectrum version (a pale and unfinsihed imitaion) I didn't appreciate just how good a game it was until around 10 years ago. Whenever I turn my C64 on I inevitably end up playing Wizball every time. People complained about controlling the ball back in the day but that's easily solvable by getting the 1st 2 icons to stop the bouncing. I'm sure those people who complained had a pirate copy so didn't have the instructions to read. There's no other game like it and the sound is also amazing. Some fantastic tunes in there from Martin Galway and I can listen to those random background burbles, squeeks, pops and bobbles that play in the background forever!
Mark R. Jones

Ocean Software Ltd FB page: http://www.facebook.com/OceanSoftwareLtd
Ultimate Play The Game FB page: https://www.facebook.com/ultimateptg

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:45 pm

I'd like to say Rainbow Islands, but Graftgold did all the, ahem, graft didn't they - Ocean came in at the last minute to publish.

Operation Wolf on the Atari ST - got it for Christmas one year, was a really good conversion.

Combat School on the C64 - broke a few joysticks on that one, never got to the mission proper.

There's just too many...

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:05 pm

It's a tough choice between Daley Thompson's Decathlon on the Amstrad and Wetrix on the N64. I'll go for Wetrix as I enjoyed playing it as recently as last year. It's the second best take on the Tetris formula (behind Tetris Attack on the SNES). Creating lakes to prevent your water meter filling up is good fun. The multiplayer mode is a decent option but probably where it loses out to Tetris Attack.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:10 pm

I love almost all of the Ocean games, but The New Zealand Story, RoboCop, Head Over Heels and Batman: The Movie are my most favourite titles!
Press Play On Tape