cost and lack of freebies for existing Subscribers

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

arthur071169

cost and lack of freebies for existing Subscribers

Post by arthur071169 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:11 pm

SUB ref number RET 2131 (since nov 2008)

I am currently being billed as per my subscription 22.50 (12th October 2018) for 6 issues.
I have had no offer as a subscriber for 11 years (!) of one of the free retro controllers, or other offers that I have been seeing in my magazine over the past few months.

also, why does a yearly subscription cost more (?) instead of less?
3 Months
£3.85 per issue - Billed quarterly
1 Year
£4 per issue

Please can you look after your established subscriber base as we are actively keeping this publication going and are being forgotten.

regards,
Arthur.

psj3809

Re: cost and lack of freebies for existing Subscribers

Post by psj3809 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:53 pm

I get your point. Its like most companies though, you stay with someone for ages and you dont get any benefits, second you want to leave or become a new subscriber you get freebies. Sure if you call you would get something

I think they said before that you could 'end' your subscription and start again to get one of the free gifts. I'm nervous of issues not arriving so i've left mine as it is

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:16 pm

Simple economics. No print magazine is going to shoulder the cost of automatically rewarding all of its subscribers with some kind of freebie when the vast majority are content to just continue their sub, I can't think of a single economic reason why this would make sense, its first and foremost a business. Offers to entice new customers are a common marketing technique and existing subs can simply cancel and re-apply their subscription if they choose to. Personally I think its a lot of effort to go to for a cheap third party controller that likely won't get much use anyway.
As for keeping the publication going?, its not a charity. You pay for the magazine and for your money you get a magazine. If you subscribe to the magazine the 'reward' is a reduction in price from the RRP and having it delivered to your door.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Freebies usually are a loss leader to entice you in to subscribing - look at just about any games mag going back decades, or even any magazine or newspaper at all, they all have some deal for new subscribers a freebie of X issues for £1 each, or whatever.

As I said in the last thread about this, you provide the company with a regular, predictable revenue and in return you get the magazine at a sizeable reduction from the shelf price.

As FT says, If you can be arsed, cancel your sub and restart it every year, it makes you a bit of a cheapo but hey you get your £30 whatever it is.

A yearly sub is more expensive because it only lasts a year. A continuous rolling sub is the best one. I bought issue 1 and and subscribed from then and it rolled over to Imagine Publishing (at least I don't recall doing anything) and then to Future more recently.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:32 pm

For me the reward is getting a fantastic mag each month that contains content not available anywhere else. I don't care about getting a free third party controller, thats insignificant compared to getting a mag that is the last of its kind.

Whenever you re-subscribe you can take advantage of discount codes, like a new subscriber would, I've done this for the last two subscription renewals.