Retro Gamer - Issue 190

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

F***

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 190

Post by F*** » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:10 am

psj3809 wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:13 pm
Glad hes gone. Don’t want the magazine watered down as some 7 year olds might read it
Not including a few f-words is watering a magazine down? Where does it say I'm a "he"? That's if you mean "he's".
fredghostmaster wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:52 pm
I don't think the magazine is aimed at 7 and 9 year olds. Try them with The Beano.
Did I say it was?
antsbull wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 pm
F*** wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:38 pm
I won't buy the magazine again. I've been getting my 7 and 9 year old into retro gaming and I first bought Retro Gamer at their request. I haven't read every article but what I have read has been a safe read.

Then my daughter asks why an article "has so many bad words?" There are THREE f-bombs in a short interview with The Oliver Twins. I don't remember them swearing on their YouTube videos or reading f-bombs in interviews I've read with them before. They add nothing to the context either:

"anything you f*** around with is a waste." - "mess" around

Word not even necessary:
"there's a f***ing great big picture of Dizzy"
"it was a lot f***ing harder"

F*** off Retro Gamer.
I'm going to call you out on that one - its extremely unlikely your 7 year old would be reading an RG mag, and if they did they'd probably be bored after the first half page and put it down. I've got a 7 year old myself who is into gaming, and loves watching me retro game and he also reads gaming mags (Minecraft etc), and wouldn't touch an RG mag.

Got anything better than that?
I never read it cover to cover myself. I didn't say my 7 year old read it either. Do you read to your 7 year old? I'm not sure how your point about other gaming mags is relevant to my family.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:54 pm

We're sorry that you weren't happy with the swearing in the magazine, but we write for an adult audience. Resident Evil 2 was the cover game for this issue, and it's a notoriously gory 15-rated horror game with a heavily promoted 18-rated remake. As such, we didn't really expect anyone to give the issue to a child of primary school age.

srj672

Post by srj672 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:37 am

videogameobsession wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:20 am
Your best bet, aside from keeping the N64 on a CRT, or emulating, would be to mod an N64 system with UltraHDMI. This is the best it's going to get for displaying an original system on a modern HD display, and it's still not great.
Hmmm both tricky options both for expense. I was so gutted when I plugged in the N64. i even tried S-video but that had checkerboard for some reason.