Retro Gamer - Issue 190

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RichardC74

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 190

Post by RichardC74 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50 am

Any idea when this issue is going to appear on Google play

ely

Post by ely » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:56 am

DRS wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:32 pm
Glad it made you smile. The interview he did with Jeff Minter for a Big K cover story is definitely worth a read too while you're there!
Yeah, I've downloaded all the Big Ks now so will have a read of that interview.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:34 pm

RichardC74 wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:50 am
Any idea when this issue is going to appear on Google play
Thanks for bringing this to our attention - it didn't go up when it was supposed to due to an error, but this has now been fixed.

Eric

Post by Eric » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:39 am

Just now noticing that the movie chart has been added to the “Back to’s”. Nice addition, though a game chart had to be dropped to make space. Any way to fit three game charts, music and movie chart in?
Image Image Image Image

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:39 am

To be honest, the movie chart has been a temporary addition due to the lack of worthwhile game charts to cover in the early part of 2002. It's a weird time since the Xbox and GameCube don't have charts yet, but the PlayStation, N64 and Dreamcast are more or less dead. That only leaves the PS2 and PC, as GBA chart information prior to 2003 is difficult to come by. If anyone else wants to see movies as a more permanent addition, let us know.

ely

Post by ely » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:20 pm

I think adding the Movie one is a good idea, gives a flavour of the time. Speaking of the charts, how are they worked out given they are for the whole month, when the charts are usually compiled weekly?

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 pm

Whilst I’m certainly no prude when it comes to language, there are at least three F bombs dropped in this issue.

Is there any reason for this? Or would said articles containing them not have been the same with them taken out?

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:44 pm

RichL wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:31 pm
Whilst I’m certainly no prude when it comes to language, there are at least three F bombs dropped in this issue.

Is there any reason for this? Or would said articles containing them not have been the same with them taken out?
I feel I am qualified to answer this as I'm fairly confident two of those Fs were in my In the Chair piece with Tony Takoushi! And I'd also suggest my pieces (Desert Island Disks and In the Chairs) tend to have more swearing in than other pieces (I'm not claiming that as a Badge of Honour btw) because they are almost always based mainly around interviews with people... and that's how people talk. I always do my pieces on the phone, via Skype or, if it's feasible, face to face. I want to get a conversational feel - and that means capturing and then relaying the words people say, uncensored. And I would also include self-censorship there - I'd argue if you're doing an interview via email, a person is less likely to swear, as they have to tap the word out on a keyboard, rather than saying it in the heat of the moment when they're describing how some f***** ripped them off in the eighties...

Note my use of asteriks there - over the years, I've submitted articles with the swearing asterisked (sp?) out and the sub editor has put it back in and other times, I've put the swearing in and it's been taken out! In fact I've just looked at the Word doc i sent in and i had actually used **** for swearing and the ed had stuck in the full word.

Personally, I prefer this - we all know what the word is so why do this **** stuff? It feels patronising and dishonest.

Two last points.

First, 'would articles have been the same without the swearing?' - ok, Tony said, when he first saw his new, flamboyantly dressed editor enter the office, "Who the f*** is this guy?" I think if I'd removed his swearing and written "Who is this guy?" it really would've changed the meaning. And made him sound a bit weird too.

Second, what is considered acceptable language of course changes over time - in lots of ways. In the UK, for example, it's been fun seeing how actors on fairly mainstream programmes can swear in a way they never would have in the 70s... and also how racial/homophobic terms have been consigned to the bin of history. This current guide made me smile - do you agree with what falls into the categories of offence?! https://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelin ... dance-full

Okay, I've rambled on enough so I'll shut the **** up... all the best Rich.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:28 pm

I'm happy with the f bombs ! Think the vast majority of readers must be 21 and over. The youngsters probably know more rude words than us !

ely

Post by ely » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:27 pm

F bombs don't even register with me, that's just how people (including me) talk.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:12 am

Yeah, no issue with the F word - I just hope the day never arrives when it's acceptable to use the C*NT word!

F***

Post by F*** » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:38 pm

I won't buy the magazine again. I've been getting my 7 and 9 year old into retro gaming and I first bought Retro Gamer at their request. I haven't read every article but what I have read has been a safe read.

Then my daughter asks why an article "has so many bad words?" There are THREE f-bombs in a short interview with The Oliver Twins. I don't remember them swearing on their YouTube videos or reading f-bombs in interviews I've read with them before. They add nothing to the context either:

"anything you f*** around with is a waste." - "mess" around

Word not even necessary:
"there's a f***ing great big picture of Dizzy"
"it was a lot f***ing harder"

F*** off Retro Gamer.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:52 pm

I don't think the magazine is aimed at 7 and 9 year olds. Try them with The Beano.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:13 pm

Glad hes gone. Don’t want the magazine watered down as some 7 year olds might read it

srj672

Post by srj672 » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:06 pm

Really enjoyed the feature about getting the best picture quality; I've got an N64 and it's smeared six ways to Sunday on my midrange HD TV