Questions for Tony 'Big K' Takoushi

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

DRS

Questions for Tony 'Big K' Takoushi

Post by DRS » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:23 pm

Hello all - I've got an interesting chap lined up for an interview next, who's had his hand in both games journalism and games development. You may recognise Tony's name if you read videogame mags back in the 80s, which is where I remember him from, but he's stayed in the games biz since then and indeed is about to launch a new game!

As always, ask anything you want and I'll do my best to get your name in the mag. I'm talking to Tony on the phone this weekend (he lives in Australia) so please post your questions here before Saturday teatime - and many thanks as always. The summary of his career below may help prompt some good questions...

All the best

Paul

Tony Takoushi:

Magazines worked on

Big K
C&VG (included writing the Mean Machines column which spawned the standalone magazines)
Personal Computer Games (PCG)
Official SEGA magazine (a quarterly publication for club members)

Tony also wrote several books, including a guide to the Best Spectrum Games and a Sonic 2 guide

Games

Frenesis
Hyperforce
Starburst
(NB. All 3 of these appeared on the C16 – as well as other platforms – in case any C16 fans want to quiz him on coding for that machine!)

Abrawordabra
Froot ‘n’ Nutz (both mobile apps)

Freefall 3050AD (a new game, just coming out on Steam!)

In the 90s, he also worked for SEGA and Philips as Product Director and later Codemasters

NickThorpe

Re: Questions for Tony 'Big K' Takoushi

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:43 pm

The Master System was already discontinued in Japan and America by the time you got to Sega, but still going in Europe. How much freedom did you have to build its first-party software line-up, and did you ever struggle to get Sega Japan to commit development resources?

merman

Post by merman » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:39 pm

Your C16 games were very psychedelic with lots of colour changing - who or what influenced that?

Did it feel odd having other people review your games?

Are there any games you rejected as Product Director that you wished you hadn't?

Did you get involved in the feud between EMAP and Newsfield magazines?

Was there ever any pressure put on you to give a game a good score?
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:51 pm

my first ever bought games magazine was C&VG, the october 1985 issue, and i read it in ..... my dad's garden allotment!!!

where did you read your first games magazine
and did your dad get annoyed at you not doing the digging?
:lol:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:05 pm

Did you work directly for C&VG or just freelance?
Did you know Paul Woakes directly?
Was the Mercenary preview considered a scoop in magazine circles?
Did you score many scoops? What do you remember best?
Wasn't the world a more exciting place way back when, when you had umpteen different systems and game makers around every corner? Did you feel you were enlightning your readers and making the world smaller?

DRS

Post by DRS » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:32 am

Folks, what great questions! I've got plenty there already - thanks for the super swift responses and some really interesting stuff I can ask him about. You rule!

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:24 pm

The C16 doesn't get much love these days. Was there any specific reasons why he chose the platform to develop on?

DRS

Post by DRS » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:40 pm

kebabinho wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:24 pm
The C16 doesn't get much love these days. Was there any specific reasons why he chose the platform to develop on?
Yes, I was thinking this too! Will definitely ask him - and of course everyone is wise in retrospect... I kind of hope he says he thought the machine was going to be HUGE!

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:02 pm

Was there also a "connection" with Nick Pelling, or am I crossing wires?

DRS

Post by DRS » Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:11 am

Folks, the interview with Tony is all done and will be in RG190. Cheers for all your questions and MrJenzie, I'm so sorry but we ran out of room for yours, but here it is as a little thank you...

[Tony Takoushi] Hmm…my first games mag….hard to recall exactly…probably games section in a mag in a newsagent…my dad never got annoyed with me when it came to games…bless him he didn’t understand them 😊 He asked me one day ‘What are these games,…are they magic? ‘ I think he had the right idea..

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Thu Dec 13, 2018 5:47 pm

DRS wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:11 am
Folks, the interview with Tony is all done and will be in RG190. Cheers for all your questions and MrJenzie, I'm so sorry but we ran out of room for yours, but here it is as a little thank you...

[Tony Takoushi] Hmm…my first games mag….hard to recall exactly…probably games section in a mag in a newsagent…my dad never got annoyed with me when it came to games…bless him he didn’t understand them 😊 He asked me one day ‘What are these games,…are they magic? ‘ I think he had the right idea..
awwz THANKS :lol:
needs to be printed in large letters SOMEWHERE! :lol:

DRS

Post by DRS » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:34 am

Ha! MrJenzie, I'll do you a deal - submit a question for my next interviewee and I promise I will ask yours first and definitely include the answer in the mag. Cue you thinking 'right, I think I'll ask them about their most athletic sexual encounter'....