From the forum: Issue 189 - Sonic Adventure

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NickThorpe

From the forum: Issue 189 - Sonic Adventure

Post by NickThorpe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:49 am

Hello everyone. It's that time of the month where I usually try to find a new way to introduce this post, but I don't really have time to this month because we've got short deadlines and no Darran. Oh well, that'll do. The question this time:

What do you think of Sonic Adventure?

The Dreamcast is 20 years old today, so we thought we'd talk about its signature game. But Sonic's Dreamcast debut is a tricky one to assess, and divisive to boot. It's ambitious and packed with memorable moments, but suffers from technical rough edges and the occasional feeling that you're not really in control. It reviewed well and was the best-selling Dreamcast game ever, but its reputation today is not great - and while some fans want nothing more than Sonic Adventure 3, others would rather we just stick to 2D games like Sonic Mania. So we're throwing the question to you lot to dive upon, in the hope that you will tenderise it with your opinion-sticks.

the_hawk

Re: From the forum: Issue 189 - Sonic Adventure

Post by the_hawk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:27 pm

The 3D Sonic games have a pretty bad rap, largely thanks to 2 or 3 stinkers, all the other games tend to get lumped in with them.

Sure it's not aged as well as some games from it's era, but I loved it at the time & there's still plenty of fun to be had with the likes of Sonic Adventure & it's sequel.
You can follow me on Twitter https://twitter.com/DaveySloan
Sponsor Me http://www.justgiving.com/daveysloan2014

OR type 99 to continue

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:17 am

Sonic Adventure is a brilliant game! I preferred it to anything with that annoying plumber in as a blue hedgehog was far cooler than a fake plumber.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:10 am

It's a bit clunky in places but overall it's a lot of fun, I still play it from time to time and get a lot of enjoyment from it.

Extraprawns

Post by Extraprawns » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:58 am

Lol nah.

32Bitter

Post by 32Bitter » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:58 am

This was the first game I played on my Dreamcast and it was Christmas day to boot :D

I remember thinking how on earth will I be able to perform precision jumps at high speed! I also did that thing of leaving my controller still because I thought I was watching a cut scene but I was in full control. :oops:

I only really enjoyed the Sonic and Tails sections though.
Don't think!....Feel!.

Mire Mare

Post by Mire Mare » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:57 am

I didn't play until a few years ago and couldn't get on with it. Sonic just doesn't impress like he did in the Megadrive days. Shame really.