From the forum: 188

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Darran@Retro Gamer

From the forum: 188

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:10 am

What's your favourite PlayStation game?
The best answers will appear in the magazine.

kiwimike

Re: From the forum: 188

Post by kiwimike » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:52 pm

Damn, that is one hell of a tough question. This was the system that reignited my interest in gaming when it was starting to wane when 16 bit seemed to have gone as far as it could.
I would probably have to say Resident Evil 2.

ncf1

Post by ncf1 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:28 pm

Medal Of Honor, such gripping atmosphere, there was nothing quite like it at the time.

Dead even I say with Resi Evil 2 but someone stole that already ^^ :D

mr jenzie

Post by mr jenzie » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:52 am

PS1 ..... GTA, gran turismo, fifa 98 road to the world cup, WWF warzone (i even went so far as to print out all the moves for each character and write new ones too!), v-rally, tony hawks, matt hoffman pro bmx, olympic games (atlanta 96), star wars episode 1 the phantom menace, TOCA 2 (the cheats for this were hilarious, cannot watch cars flying into the air enough!)

loved playing metal gear solid and final fantasy VII with the official guides
along with loads of demos off the official playstation mag

flatapex

Post by flatapex » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:53 am

toca 2.

as a btcc fan I am used to my favourite sport getting overshadowed by f1, being able to race real btcc cars, real support race cars, at real circuits was a big deal to me

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:35 pm

tough one but Cool Boarders 3 and Spyro are up there for me but if i had to say all time fave its a tie between Fire Pro G and Tekken 3

Matt_B

Post by Matt_B » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:50 pm

I'll go for Rayman, as its one of the few where you can say that the graphics have held up as well as the gameplay.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:35 pm

The PS1 had so many great titles, but my favourites would be the original Grand Theft Auto, Discworld II, Theme Hospital and Abe's Oddysee
Press Play On Tape

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:09 pm

Final Fantasy IX gets my vote. Gorgeous, underrated gem with lovable characters and lots of enjoyable side quests. It was released late in the life of the PS1, when all eyes were on the PS2, but it's one of my favourite RPGs of all time. Fantastic game.

Hard choice though, the PS1 had tons of incredible games and RPGs... Chrono Cross is another masterpiece, and Front Mission 3 would complete my podium.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:01 pm

Crash Team Racing. Really the only PS1 game I still play, and have played for the last 20 years. I enjoyed my Playstation at the time, but I've very little desire to replay those games. The generations before and after yes - but the PS1 leaves me cold for some reason.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:35 am

I see several of peoples favourites here are featuring on the PS Classic, so that's a good sign there's a good range on it! :)

neuromancer

Post by neuromancer » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Without any doubt, my favourite all-time PS1 game, both in terms of the hours invested, and the fun it engendered, was Rage Racer.

Being a massive fan of Ridge Racer Revolution (the first game I played on the machine, which were both hired for a weekend from Blockbuster...), I avidly saved up for and aquired RR in my student days.

At first the game both impressed and depressed; the upgraded graphics, incorporating more geometry, textures, and a grittier, more realistic tone, were welcome, however the pace of the default cars available felt like the 957 Mark 1 Fiesta I owned at the time.
I've later aquired the NSTC release, which benefits immeasurably (well, techinically, measurably) from the standard 20% framerate hike.

After grinding through enough rounds, earning in-game currency (ah, the blessed days before loot box gambling and cynical microtransactions), and finally unlocking and ungrading to some decent vehicles, the game truly came alive.

I eventually purchased a NegCon analogue contoller, in the hopes of eaking further enjoyment from the title after besting the game and unlocking the Devil car, however I could never get to grips with it (not helped by the large, obvious dead zone when attempting to turn right).

Playing the game under emulation on a Raspberry Pi, with Enhanced Resolution enabled, really brings the game to life, even all these years later.

As an adendnum, in 2016 I finally played Ridge Racer Type 4, often cited as the pinacle of the series. Graphically, it's definitely pushing the limits of the PlayStation hardware (and again, under emulation with enhnaced resolution, it truly shines), however I was somewhat astounded when I reached the end of the game; having experienced the many hours of gameplay afforded by Rage Racer, I thought I'd simply completed the first section of a much longer game. Whilst there are seemingly hundreds of vehicles available to unlock, there really isn't much replayability value.

Side note: this is the first time I've logged on to the forum in close to a decade, such has been the insidious destructive power of Facebook (where I maintain a totally empty account simply as mild protection against ID theft).

It was both amusing and sadenning to look over some old posts, and find many people bemoaing the death of this forum as far back as 2007...

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:41 pm

Tenchu. The story, the music and atmosphere were unparalleled at the time and stealth gameplay has never been as rewarding since. It was the first game where verticality mattered in so far as you could grapple up a wall, stalk an enemy guard from above, roll down behind him and slit his throat before scampering off into the darkness.

Extraprawns

Post by Extraprawns » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:47 pm

Easy. FF7 takes the cake. It's really the only PS1 game everybody is still talking about 20+ years later, and probably the most anticipated game remake of all time. What's left to say that hasn't already been said? If you've been living under a rock all this time, stop what you're doing and play this game.
Special mention to Oddworld and Heart of Darkness.

bounty bob

Post by bounty bob » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:25 pm

Has to by Spyro The Dragon. Don't know why as I normally hate quetsey games like this but couldn't stop playing it.
Atari 800XL thrashes the C64 every time!!!
(well, nearly everytime)
(OK, some of the time)