EDGE

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

RichL

EDGE

Post by RichL » Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:14 pm

Sorry Darran and the rest of RG - there used to be an EDGE forum years ago and it was a wonderful thing, however...

Any Retro Gamer readers also have a subs to EDGE?

It's been in the shops since Thursday and I still haven't received my subs copy - I'm just wondering if other people have got their copy and mines just gone missing?

The on sale date was the 11th, subs are supposed to get it on or before that date, I don't know of any embargo in this issue - happy to be corrected.

ely

Re: EDGE

Post by ely » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:17 pm

I got my Subs copy last week sometime. That does sort of suggest yours has gone missing.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 pm

Out of curiosity, I stopped subscribing years ago, is Edge good again or is it still a pretentious business rag?
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

RichL

Post by RichL » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:38 am

Still a prententious business rag :wink:

ely

Post by ely » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:10 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:49 pm
Out of curiosity, I stopped subscribing years ago, is Edge good again or is it still a pretentious business rag?
I've been subscribing since issue 6 and have constantly over the years threatened to stop doing so but never have. For all it's po-faced attitude to the fun of video games I do still find it interesting enough although I don't read it cover to cover like I did 15 years ago. I barely play new games really but as a gamer all my life I like to keep abreast of what's going on in the industry.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:34 pm

I subscribed early on and did so for years. Eventually the business coverage lost the interesting approach it used to have and became dry and repetitive (possibly because that's how the business became). I was buying it for 3 pages of retro, and Retro Gamer was doing that better.

Eventually I stopped buying mags and reading about modern gaming almost completely. I have so much stuff already to play, so if I don't read about it, I don't know about it, and so I don't want it. If I know about all the good new stuff, I just end up spending money on a bigger pile of shame.

Red Dead Redemption 2 is one that might catch me though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:51 am

Edge is a good mag to buy on occasion, though I don't buy enough modern/current games or consoles to warrant more than that. It tends to take itself a little too seriously, forgetting the industry is supposed to be about fun. But still an interesting read most of the time.

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:31 pm

For the second time in as many months, issue 327 has not been delivered, with an 'in the shops' date of 6/12/18 I am beginning to accept that it may not come now as I type this and indeed, I have purchased from WH Smiths.

Darran and the RG team, again I apologise to you for using your forum to vent but this is no longer funny.

I don't know if it is something unique about my subs offer, I pay £10 for 3 issues and yet since taking out that offer, 2 out of 3 magazines have not been delivered.

Darran the reason I'm posting on here is not to cause you grief or rant and rave, its because the 'contact us' section doesn't listen - I asked why my magazines have gone missing and is there a problem and all I get is an automated response that they will send a replacement issue (I'm still waiting for issue 325... however there is zero point in sending it now)

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:03 am

RichL wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:31 pm
For the second time in as many months, issue 327 has not been delivered, with an 'in the shops' date of 6/12/18 I am beginning to accept that it may not come now as I type this and indeed, I have purchased from WH Smiths.

Darran and the RG team, again I apologise to you for using your forum to vent but this is no longer funny.

I don't know if it is something unique about my subs offer, I pay £10 for 3 issues and yet since taking out that offer, 2 out of 3 magazines have not been delivered.

Darran the reason I'm posting on here is not to cause you grief or rant and rave, its because the 'contact us' section doesn't listen - I asked why my magazines have gone missing and is there a problem and all I get is an automated response that they will send a replacement issue (I'm still waiting for issue 325... however there is zero point in sending it now)
I've found with the myfavouritemags online subscriptions, every time I renew it or make changes to my account (address changes) - the next one or two mags simply don't show up, and I have to re-order them - this has happened for my last two changes/renewals. There seems to be some kind of disconnect between their subs database and their distribution system.

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:12 pm

I'm just sick of it, I haven't changed any details.

Retro Gamer is fine, it has been delivered today, EDGE no way, I'm still waiting from the 6th of December.