Magazine Quality - Latest issue

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

SpecTrePaul

Re: Magazine Quality - Latest issue

Post by SpecTrePaul » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:53 pm

@knight_beat that's quite interesting. Will see what the next one through the post is like.

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:01 pm

knight_beat wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:35 am
I checked every copy of RG184 (the Daytona issue) in WH Smith Euston & Kings Cross when it was released and all had a brownish stain through the middle of the Atari XL feature

Maybe the printer was saying something? :lol:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:04 pm

The paper in the magazine has been total shyte for the last 2 years at least.
RG is using a lot of colour and if I knew nothing better then I would say it is saturating the paper, giving it more moisture than it is designed for and crumpling when drying again.

I would pay more for better paper. But even Edge has deteriorated there...

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:01 pm

I noticed a change a while back, maybe it changed again... the mag does feel thinner but same pagination.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:23 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:49 am
Just got the Zzap!64 2019 annual from Revival team and everything is top top quality. It's a yearly thing so I suppose the paper quality is expected to be better. Well worth a look for any old C64 fans out there!
Eagerly awaiting mine! If it's like the Crash annual, along with the other Fusion books, it will be top drawer quality for sure. Probably a little unfair to compare these to RG (or any other) mags are they are effectively books, not magazines.

But yes, it is fair to say the page quality in RG and other mags has dropped a bit, which is a shame as the content is still of high quality. I can understand trying to cut costs whenever possible for any business of course, but perhaps it is best to ask customers would you prefer an increase in costs to keep the material quality high, or sacrifice a bit of that to ensure the buying cost is the same?
I think the majority would prefer the physical quality of the mag remain high as pretty much anyone who buys it is collecting/keeping it.

fm4dj

Post by fm4dj » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:25 am

yeah thats a good point. there are also a lot of collectors out there.
Looking at this thread and the subscriber Cover thread one can say that quite a few people arent happy with the latest decisions...

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:17 am

I would be happy to pay more for trackable delivery for sure. Mag quality is just fine for me otherwise.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:20 am

My latest issue has not arrived yet, so I can't comment on the paper quality of that issue, but the quality was reduced ages ago, and I'm sure it was a cost saving measure. RG used to be one of the best mags around in regards to paper quality, but for a medium where physical is probably barely feasible financially, it's a required evil sadly.

I've mentioned in the past, that major changes that affect paying customers should maybe be put to a vote, but that was shot down by many here like it was a bad thing(staff never replied one way or another). So I wouldn't look to RG staff to inquire on if customers want to pay for better paper or not, as it's likely not to happen. The same goes for the subscriber covers, as I honestly have only liked a few, and would much rather have the retail versions each month. But since there is no option for that, I either have to buy at retail and pay a king's ransom, or pay less as a subscriber, and get whatever half baked ideas come along with that issue if I want it or not(please don't fix what wasn't broken).

So while the paper is thinner than it used to be, it still shows OK and holds up well, so it's not a big deal for me personally. Maybe the latest issue will change that if the quality is even worse, but only time will tell.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:37 am

This voting for content thing is just bizarre... perhaps customers at your work should vote for whatever it is that you do?!

Feedback is good of course... but let's let the editorial team get on with their jobs.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:48 am

RetroBob wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:37 am
This voting for content thing is just bizarre... perhaps customers at your work should vote for whatever it is that you do?!
People get paid to be at work and that's the only reason they are there, as no one shows up for free. I pay Future for RG, and when I signed up, it was for the cover shown each month, as there was only one. If you can't see the difference in asking someone as a courtesy if you want said change or not, then there's not much more to say. No one hear is asking for a say in how the company is run, they are just looking for a say in what they are paying for, and the changes that no one signed up for.

When you pay a restaurant for a steak, and they bring you chicken, or if your food is cold I guess you just eat what they give you right, as it's their business and you got food, so what's the problem right?

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:08 pm

opened my subscriber copy last night and noticed that the paper was very thin. First time i have had this problem

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:12 am

RetroBob wrote:

Feedback is good of course... but let's let the editorial team get on with their jobs.
'Voting' can be in the form of surveys...and surely that is better than disgruntled customers voting with their wallets if they aren't happy :)

Certainly does not hurt to take all views on board, which is a vote of course, as you cannot please all the people all the time, but you will get an idea if something that has changed within the mag is evoking a positive or negative reaction :)

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:45 am

kiwimike wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:12 am
RetroBob wrote:

'Voting' can be in the form of surveys...and surely that is better than disgruntled customers voting with their wallets if they aren't happy :)

Certainly does not hurt to take all views on board, which is a vote of course, as you cannot please all the people all the time, but you will get an idea if something that has changed within the mag is evoking a positive or negative reaction :)

Surveys are different to voting.

How do you take all views on board for something as binary 'I like a busy cover' Vs 'I like a clean cover'. Some people like things others don't... Buy it or don't, make your views known, or don't.

Given the craziness of mag deadlines it's just weird to sample a tiny portion of the audience. It would really be just to placate a handful of people and have no statistical value.
Last edited by RetroBob on Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpecTrePaul

Post by SpecTrePaul » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:15 pm

Well the content of the magazine is normally always good, some articles are better than others but there is a mix for everyone.

Regarding the covers? I subscribe and sometimes I prefer them and sometimes not but I can live with that. I am not going to go out and buy another one from the shop with the other cover.

All I am saying and would be happy with, is a magazine with good quality paper like it was before and for there not to have print errors during production which make some articles unreadable, like the ink smears I have on this issue. As it stands with this issue I have, I can't see it lasting as long as all my other past issues which is a shame when I collect them for re-reading.
I also collect these as I am a game developer and indie dev so they are also a good source of reference to me and again bad paper quality means the issue will not last over time with constant use of the magazine.

Thanks.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:47 am

RetroBob wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:45 am
kiwimike wrote:
Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:12 am
RetroBob wrote:

Surveys are different to voting.

How do you take all views on board for something as binary 'I like a busy cover' Vs 'I like a clean cover'. Some people like things others don't... Buy it or don't, make your views known, or don't.

Given the craziness of mag deadlines it's just weird to sample a tiny portion of the audience. It would really be just to placate a handful of people and have no statistical value.
True...but whether or not to keep a certain standard of paper/print quality in relation to price increase or not, is a little different to whether people like a 'busy cover' or not! :lol:
The point is the 'buy it or not' is a very dangerous viewpoint to take in my opinion, in this age of less and less printed publications. It certainly does not hurt to ask what customers want, especially if number of sales drop. Which they haven't by all accounts, which is great for sure! :)

Surveys are different to voting by definition of course, but they are helpful in knowing what the majority of the readers want. It's not a binding referendum of course...and if the response to a survey is low it's null and void anyway. But it never hurts to know how your customers feel, IMO. :)