Font Size

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

j744

Font Size

Post by j744 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:24 pm

You guys do a great job with Retro Gamer, but please make your font size just a little bigger; it's uncomfortable to read (especially image captions which seem like they are written in a 2pt font).

kiwimike

Re: Font Size

Post by kiwimike » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:30 am

We've had this come up before on the forum- font size, and the colour of font against background colour.

I know some don't have an issue with it, but I agree I do struggle with the font sizes at times.

Maybe it'd be cool to have a poll on it- see how much of an issue to is, how many readers do have a problem. :)

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:13 am

Glasses maybe? :wink:

Seriously though, I do have an issue with some of the colour used. In the latest mag there seems to be lots of white text on green - maybe it's just my aging eyesight that struggles, but it takes me twice as long to read that than many other combinations! :? And yeah, these box-outs in articles do seem to have very small text. Even with my old man glasses they are hard to read.

Maybe we are all just too retro for reading.

Chinnico

Post by Chinnico » Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:49 am

Seconded.
Larger text please.
Also because often, when there is white font on a black background (or blue font on a black background... issue 185... aaaargh!!!), also due to the low quality of the paper, the letters get 'smeared' and the text becomes 'pixelated' and almost unreadable. I am sure it is not a wanted retro-effect.
Better would be that better paper was employed too, so that crisp and sharp definition is always ensured. But at least, please at least make font bigger. I don't mind if the page becomes a little more cluttered.
(P.S. I still wear glasses for reading)

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:55 am

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:13 am
Glasses maybe? :wink:

Seriously though, I do have an issue with some of the colour used. In the latest mag there seems to be lots of white text on green - maybe it's just my aging eyesight that struggles, but it takes me twice as long to read that than many other combinations! :? And yeah, these box-outs in articles do seem to have very small text. Even with my old man glasses they are hard to read.

Maybe we are all just too retro for reading.
:lol: Yeah I thought that myself- I don't want to blame the mag for my old fart eyes! But as many of the readers are=shall we say- veterans of gaming(!) - perhaps a wee poll would be good to see if larger font and/or more basic colour combinations would appeal, and to know how many readers find it a problem :)

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:50 pm

Yeah, I've had problems with the color as well as the font size, but as so graciously stated, being retro means "old" for most, and eyes aren't what they sued to be. LOL Now the color issue, that's a different matter entirely, but I haven't notice any major issues recently, but in the past some pages where beyond readable.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:27 pm

Chinnico wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:49 am
Seconded.
Larger text please.
Also because often, when there is white font on a black background (or blue font on a black background... issue 185... aaaargh!!!), also due to the low quality of the paper, the letters get 'smeared' and the text becomes 'pixelated' and almost unreadable. I am sure it is not a wanted retro-effect.
Better would be that better paper was employed too, so that crisp and sharp definition is always ensured. But at least, please at least make font bigger. I don't mind if the page becomes a little more cluttered.
Good to see you're still hanging around if nothing else.

I like to think that at least we get our money's worth with small text, even if I do have to resort to glasses to read it. If the text was bigger, we'd just get less of it, not more pages, as the printing costs will be the same regardless. They won't add page count for larger text without putting the price up to cover it.

There's always the digital versions. I do wish there was a decent subscription offer that catered for a combined physical and digital release though.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:36 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:27 pm
Chinnico wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 1:49 am
Seconded.
Larger text please.
Good to see you're still hanging around if nothing else.

I like to think that at least we get our money's worth with small text, even if I do have to resort to glasses to read it. If the text was bigger, we'd just get less of it, not more pages, as the printing costs will be the same regardless. They won't add page count for larger text without putting the price up to cover it.

There's always the digital versions. I do wish there was a decent subscription offer that catered for a combined physical and digital release though.
Some really great points, I have thought RG always offers outstanding value due to the amount of reading content, although I struggle with font size. Personally speaking, I wear reading glasses and are overdue for a test which I think will determine stronger readers or full glasses. But I digress, that thought was in my mind if it were made bigger then it would come at the expense of less content- and if that were fair of those who have no problem?
Which is why I thought a poll may be a good idea, for feedback on how much of an issue it is if nothing else.

That said, I've thought about digital sub for ages for exactly the font size reason, along with no physical storage problem. Maybe that's the answer, a sub deal where you get the digital along with the actual mag- that would also address a problem with delivery times for the mag as you would have the digital immediately whilst the mag turned up, much like preordering many music CDs nowadays.

I guess a quick fix is to go into any number of variety stores and get a pair of 2.0 or stronger reading glasses specifically for reading RG and other small font mags etc. Even with my reading glasses on I can struggle, but why not get a cheap pair a bit stronger? :)