Retro Gamer - Issue 184

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

HdE

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 184

Post by HdE » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:51 am

Snagged this over the weekend, mainly for the R-Type features. And I wasn't disappointed!

Props for not only covering the sequel to one of my favourite EVER video games, but for doing so twice! It was really interesting to read about the challenges the Gameboy version presented. Also: who the heck came up with the names for all those enemies? They're insane!

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:14 pm

For me as relatively new subscriber the mag certainly delivers. Cannot compare it to "better days" but I assume it's just fatigue from people who were subscribed for much longer.
Also cannot understand this "I'm not interested in X so I will not read the article". For me it's interesting to read each and every article in the mag. You just never know what will peak your interest. In one of the earlier issues there was a piece on the history of the Football Manager and that's not what I'm interested in at all normally but the article turned out to be very interesting and memorable.

MatOfTheDead

Post by MatOfTheDead » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:33 pm

ive enjoyed the issues ive picked up recently im not quite thinking about getting a sub yet but im close

merman

Post by merman » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:26 pm

senzer wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:36 pm
No mention of q2 multiplayer? It was huge in the UK. We were also arguably the best at it. A series on online gaming would be nice - gamespy 3d, wireplay, even won.net or heat...

Need a time bandit feature- using the atari st graphics of course

Good issue, cheap paper always disheartening to see though. The "ultimate guide to:" series is wearing thin. I'd rather games be covered more in depth and less regularly (how many times have you mentioned the shinobi series?)

Captions are always lame, but the magazine will never be like 90s Future. I couldn't name anyone after 7 years of reading apart from thr digitiser guy and Darran. No personality seeps through, and when it does it's just :

"Wish i hadn't have traded my snes'
"This month X has been collecting game gear games"

Or the guy from digitiser dribbling (every issue)

I think there is a significant percentage of people who buy the mag simply because -

We miss buying gaming mags
The layouts can be nice
Design work usually interesting

There's so much regurgitating of content from the old (and let's face it, far better days)

I'll keep buying, but the mag is 70% filler
You seem to be confusing issue 183 and 184. Issue 183 had a Classic Moments piece on Shinobi.
There has been an Ultimate Guide to Shinobi in the past (I wrote it).
Three big articles on the series and ten picture spreads in 184 issues, none of it "regurgitated".

The Classic Moments and RetroRevival spreads are designed to be "light snacks" between the larger "main course" articles. All magazines have this sort of feature in one way or another.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:12 pm

Enjoying this months magazine as always. Makes me feel like a big kid to be honest but its brilliant flicking through the pages while im on the toilet where nobody can see me!

dave3622

Post by dave3622 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:15 pm

I cancelled my sub when I moved house a while back but hate the 'subscriber' covers. The only advantage to them that I can see is a potential increase in re-sale value on eBay. The retail cover this month is vastly superior and I would be very annoyed if I had received that awful yellow version through my letterbox.