Bookazines or lack of.

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by The Laird » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:35 pm

Following on from the 80s bookazine I have also done a video review of The Ultimate 90s Collection now too!

8)

psj3809
Posts: 18692
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 3:28 pm

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by psj3809 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:58 pm

Still poor though. I open the RG app and have a look at the bookazines to buy and its 100 greatest tv shows, best of the 80s, best of the 90's etc. Just been '100 games to play before you die' as the only decent thing.

In the old days you had loads, had those great small emags about Ultimate etc and then the larger NES or Sinclair/C64 etc. Arcade one.

They seem to have mostly given up, got no interest in the 80s/90s or Sci-Fi handbook (What are these to do with retro games ?). Seems like the new company dont seem that fussed. Havent had a RG annual for a while

spacedmonkeys
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:24 pm

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by spacedmonkeys » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:40 pm

Ultimate Retro Hardware Guide sounds suspiciously like a rehash of the Videogames Hardware Handook editions...with a new shiny cover... anyone confirm?

thegamesnotoveryet
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Sat Sep 15, 2018 3:58 pm

spacedmonkeys wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:40 pm
Ultimate Retro Hardware Guide sounds suspiciously like a rehash of the Videogames Hardware Handook editions...with a new shiny cover... anyone confirm?
Yeah, I was wondering the same, and the best I can guess is it has some more recent consoles like the Switch. I can't remember in the original what the last system covered was, but I know they have had several revisions, so I can't say if the PS4/ONE ever got included or not. It would be nice if it at least has 5-6 console or handhelds never covered before, but if it's just a few, I'll probably pass. The new higher prices are a little off putting as well, but if there's a decent amount of new content, I may give it a go.

knight_beat
Posts: 604
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:23 pm
Location: London... Home of Danger Mouse

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by knight_beat » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:39 pm

I spotted a copy of Ultimate Retro Hardware Guide and the Games to Play before you Die specials in the Nuneaton WH Smith earlier. URHG takes a similar approach to the hardware handbook - it contains hardware articles and a number of the 2 page photo spreads from recent issues - but doesn't share any content with the handbooks that I could see (disclaimer: I didn't buy it so can't do a side-by-side comparison). The Games to Play before you Die book looked good. I couldn't afford it today, but will probably get it in a few weeks (hopefully it'll be available more widely by this point).

kiwimike
Posts: 3575
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by kiwimike » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:22 am

I really do like the look of games to play- but not at US $27 like. So if it's still in stock when discounted, I'll pick it up. Just not sure why 2-3 of the new bookazines have that extra US$5 added

thegamesnotoveryet
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed May 10, 2017 1:39 pm

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:22 am

kiwimike wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:22 am
I really do like the look of games to play- but not at US $27 like. So if it's still in stock when discounted, I'll pick it up. Just not sure why 2-3 of the new bookazines have that extra US$5 added
I'll assume it has to do with page count, as the previous hardware handbook is 180 pages, and this new one is 212. The same applies for the 100 games to play book, as it has 212 as well.

kiwimike
Posts: 3575
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by kiwimike » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:43 am

thegamesnotoveryet wrote:
Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:22 am
kiwimike wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:22 am
I really do like the look of games to play- but not at US $27 like. So if it's still in stock when discounted, I'll pick it up. Just not sure why 2-3 of the new bookazines have that extra US$5 added
I'll assume it has to do with page count, as the previous hardware handbook is 180 pages, and this new one is 212. The same applies for the 100 games to play book, as it has 212 as well.
Yeah maybe....guess I'll have to wait and see if it drops. Picked up a few at really sharp prices by holding fire- the Hardware Vol 2 bookazine is a cracker price on the site atm if anyone doesn't have it and is keen :)

User avatar
The Laird
Posts: 8496
Joined: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:01 pm
Location: Luton
Contact:

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by The Laird » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:02 pm

If you want to see what is in The Ultimate Retro Hardware guide then I have done a video review of the bookazine HERE!

8)

kiwimike
Posts: 3575
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:20 am
Location: Chch, NZ

Re: Bookazines or lack of.

Post by kiwimike » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:00 am

Current code for today 'BQUICK' for discount if you want a bookazine with 24% off. :)

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest