Retro Gamer eMagâ„¢ now available

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
boyo
Posts: 2227
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:35 pm
Contact:

Post by boyo » Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:36 am

I have every issue (bar one) of the Live magazines.

My thoughts are this:

1) Does the DVD have every article from every LIVE issue? If the original author did not sign up to an Imagine contract then Imagine would have to contact the author for permission to re-use. Be interesting to see how much stuff is actually missing?

2) The search engine will prove very useful for me.

3) £19.99 is extortionate for what this is. But alas it is people like us who buy these kind of things anyway irrespective of price.

Ordered one - so will wait and see how good/useful it is.

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:10 am

boyo wrote:I have every issue (bar one) of the Live magazines.

My thoughts are this:

1) Does the DVD have every article from every LIVE issue? If the original author did not sign up to an Imagine contract then Imagine would have to contact the author for permission to re-use. Be interesting to see how much stuff is actually missing?

2) The search engine will prove very useful for me.

3) £19.99 is extortionate for what this is. But alas it is people like us who buy these kind of things anyway irrespective of price.

Ordered one - so will wait and see how good/useful it is.

It's market forces - they know what we'll pay , so that's how much it costs
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

User avatar
FatTrucker
Posts: 4724
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:23 pm
Location: Essex

Post by FatTrucker » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:32 am

So pleased to see you went ahead with this.

Similarly to boyo I would like to know if the DVD contains all content from every featured issue or if its an amalgamation of stuff from them?.

If its a complete archive of the first 30 issues then I will be ordering today, simply for the convenience of having everything stored and searchable from disc.
paranoid marvin wrote: The thing is , it's a DVD in a case that costs £20 - probably costs less than £1 to manufacture - I would have thought that £9.99 was more reasonable
Thing is I would imagine apart from the manufacturing costs it probably took a significant amount of time and effort to put together and considering the fairly limited numbers its likely to sell in then £20 seems a realistic and not unreasonable price.
I suppose though it depends how many of the mags you already own. For someone missing all 30 issues thats a massive amount of good content.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.
Image

User avatar
Mayhem
Posts: 4741
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:05 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:52 am

boyo wrote:1) Does the DVD have every article from every LIVE issue? If the original author did not sign up to an Imagine contract then Imagine would have to contact the author for permission to re-use. Be interesting to see how much stuff is actually missing?
Indeed Chris, what you state is correct and how complete it is I guess those who have ordered so far will let us know.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

Image

User avatar
paranoid marvin
Posts: 14272
Joined: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:28 pm
Location: 21st Century Earth

Post by paranoid marvin » Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:54 am

FatTrucker wrote:So pleased to see you went ahead with this.

Similarly to boyo I would like to know if the DVD contains all content from every featured issue or if its an amalgamation of stuff from them?.

If its a complete archive of the first 30 issues then I will be ordering today, simply for the convenience of having everything stored and searchable from disc.
paranoid marvin wrote: The thing is , it's a DVD in a case that costs £20 - probably costs less than £1 to manufacture - I would have thought that £9.99 was more reasonable
Thing is I would imagine apart from the manufacturing costs it probably took a significant amount of time and effort to put together and considering the fairly limited numbers its likely to sell in then £20 seems a realistic and not unreasonable price.
I suppose though it depends how many of the mags you already own. For someone missing all 30 issues thats a massive amount of good content.

It certainly appears to have a very good presentation
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

RetroRyan
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2007 12:52 pm

Post by RetroRyan » Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:19 pm

I came to Retro Gamer late, so if it does contain all the pages from all 30 issues that would be great for me. I hate reading magazine articles on screen though - and printing 3000 pages clearly ain't the way to go!

:D

User avatar
LeeT
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Post by LeeT » Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:55 am

Has anyone received theirs yet?

buddha
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Post by buddha » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:19 pm

Yep! Mine arrived this morning. Just had a quick "flick" through a couple of issues. First impressions are that it's really good. Especially, if like me, you don't have the complete set. The retro styled launcher is also a cute touch.

Other bits
No ads, which is a bit odd at first. (pages are blanked with eMag logo)
Early Live issues look like scans of less than mint editions but might just be my monitor or just me!
Later issues look clearer (imagery not text)

All in all very pleased so far.

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Post by SirClive » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:40 pm

So can someone confirm if the Live issues are searchable?
Image

buddha
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Post by buddha » Fri Jun 15, 2007 3:48 pm

Yes, you can search the Live issues.

User avatar
neuromancer
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Post by neuromancer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:05 am

buddha wrote: Early Live issues look like scans of less than mint editions but might just be my monitor or just me!
Would those be issues 1-3 which had a deliberate 'battered' look (which I personally really liked)?

User avatar
boyo
Posts: 2227
Joined: Wed Nov 30, 2005 6:35 pm
Contact:

Post by boyo » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:22 am

Got mine yesterday - I'm really impressed with this and would say the £20 is worth it as this is a nice keep sake :D

User avatar
neuromancer
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Post by neuromancer » Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:37 am

boyo wrote:Got mine yesterday - I'm really impressed with this and would say the £20 is worth it as this is a nice keep sake :D
Hi Chris,

any word on how complete it is (in the light of your earlier post regarding copyright issues)

Cheers

User avatar
LeeT
Posts: 1061
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:36 pm

Post by LeeT » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:56 am

I still haven't even had the despatch email! :cry:

Will phone them on Monday morning.

User avatar
andrew_rollings
Posts: 311
Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:24 am
Contact:

Post by andrew_rollings » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:26 pm

LeeT wrote:I still haven't even had the despatch email! :cry:

Will phone them on Monday morning.

Just got mine. (I'm in the States)...

Didn't even get a dispatch email.

Andrew

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests