Subscriber Covers

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TheAlex

Re: Subscriber Covers

Post by TheAlex » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:41 pm

I don't like being negative about a magazine I generally enjoy, but (now I'm actually a subscriber again) the Daytona subscriber cover is the worst so far. The regular news stand cover looks great.

ely

Post by ely » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:31 pm

I love the new Subscriber cover, but last months Tetris one less so. So there you go a 50% hit rate.

To be honest though the cover could be a plain black and it'd matter not a jot to me. Remember when Edge was on the shelves in a plastic bag so you couldn't see the cover or the contents and it's latest issue celebrates it's 25th year of publication!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 pm

Dont get me wrong i dont mind any of them i'm just so used to the last 160 issues or so which shows me exactly whats in the mag when i browse through all the issues i have. Would have been nice to have had a choice though

RichL

Post by RichL » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:58 am

psj3809 wrote:
Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 pm
Dont get me wrong i dont mind any of them i'm just so used to the last 160 issues or so which shows me exactly whats in the mag when i browse through all the issues i have. Would have been nice to have had a choice though
Because it’s that difficult to turn the page and look at the contents?

I bet you are one of these people that’s gone ‘all digital’ with your games because you can’t be arsed to change the disc? :wink:

Covers are supposed to jump out to people in shops to make them impulse buy if they see something they like, as we are subscribers we don’t need that.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:16 am

RichL wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:58 am
Covers are supposed to jump out to people in shops to make them impulse buy if they see something they like, as we are subscribers we don’t need that.
They're also quite handy when you rummage through back issues for something to read for the same reason - that text on the front can bring an article to the fore among a mass of covers, where with the blank subs covers you only know of one feature.

Not that I dislike the subs covers so far, but I can see where the standard covers have their uses.

The digital game analogy doesn't hold true. Whether browsing downloaded contents or physical box spines, in both cases you can see exactly what the available options are.

Tbh, if I want to read an old feature, I browse one of the online indices to find the issue I want.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Falk

Post by Falk » Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:20 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 7:16 am
RichL wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:58 am
They're also quite handy when you rummage through back issues for something to read for the same reason - that text on the front can bring an article to the fore among a mass of covers, where with the blank subs covers you only know of one feature.

Not that I dislike the subs covers so far, but I can see where the standard covers have their uses.

The digital game analogy doesn't hold true. Whether browsing downloaded contents or physical box spines, in both cases you can see exactly what the available options are.

Tbh, if I want to read an old feature, I browse one of the online indices to find the issue I want.
I also like to be able to quickly see what's in each magazine as I look through my collection.

RichL

Post by RichL » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:34 am

Fair enough. Ditch the contents pages too then Darran as everyone just looks at the cover :D

marksmith34

Post by marksmith34 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:46 pm

For what it's worth, i think the non-subscriber covers are so much better than the subscriber covers. i too like the contents on the front that gives a brief summary of what's inside. For me the subscriber covers have been bland and boring so far, they just don't stand out.

As a subscriber, is there any way we can chose which version we receive. I'd go for the stand-out cover every time.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Damn, not a lot of love for the subscriber specific covers uh? LOL

Yeah, I've only really liked 1 or 2 so far, with most being blah at best. Why don't the staff offer a vote on these subscriber options each month, as then at least we can have a say. Maybe offer up 3-5 unique covers, and then put them to a vote, and let us decide(as the staff ain't cutting it at this point). I agree most of the standard covers are far better, and if I had the choice, I probably would have picked those over the subscriber ones 9/10 times.

Normally, "subscriber" related bonuses are supposed to be better, as thats the way you get more people interested, as it needs to be something a potential subscriber could see a benefit in. Here, it seems like RG is doing their best, to make these as unattractive as possible, so we'll spend full price on the retail copies. And as crazy as this may sound, it's the only thing that makes much sense here. As these exclusive covers are just not that great, and really offers ZERO incentive for anyone to really subscribe, which seems to defeat the purpose in the first place.

Each month when I see the standard copies at retail, I have to hold back to not buy them, as they look so much better. But the whole reason I have a subscription is to save money, but these covers are making that really hard to do, as I want to buy the standard each month. These have been an issue to most since they started, and yet we keep getting worse and worse offerings each new month. Is anyone on staff reading these forums? This seems an easy fix, if anyone is interested in making that happen. Otherwise, I'll stick to my theory posted above and call it a day.

Falk

Post by Falk » Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:15 pm

thegamesnotoveryet wrote:
Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:28 pm
Normally, "subscriber" related bonuses are supposed to be better, as thats the way you get more people interested, as it needs to be something a potential subscriber could see a benefit in.
I have thought about that too. Some magazines give you more things as a subscriber. Some extra members only pages, or something online.
Retro Gamer basically just give you something different as a subscriber, not something extra.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:26 am

Yeah, I've only really liked 1 or 2 so far, with most being blah at best. Why don't the staff offer a vote on these subscriber options each month, as then at least we can have a say. Maybe offer up 3-5 unique covers, and then put them to a vote, and let us decide(as the staff ain't cutting it at this point). I agree most of the standard covers are far better, and if I had the choice, I probably would have picked those over the subscriber ones 9/10 times.
Not sure a vote on mag cover will gibe with timelines for producing a monthly magazine... plus how much of a sample size will they get... not great. Let's offer our feedback here and let the mag production crew get on with the decisions for their magazine.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:26 pm

RetroBob wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:26 am

Not sure a vote on mag cover will gibe with timelines for producing a monthly magazine... plus how much of a sample size will they get... not great. Let's offer our feedback here and let the mag production crew get on with the decisions for their magazine.
The picture size could be as big or small as they decide to offer it up. And until the issues is finalized and gone to press, allowing for a vote is more than feasible(it may be months before said issue is offered, but it could be done). Me giving a suggestion to help out with rather bad opinions on current things being done, is just that, a suggestion(my opinion). This magazine is not free, and so long as customers are paying funds, and having problems, then each persons thoughts on the matter are just as valuable as anyone else's(if agreed with or not).

I guess having print that's to hard to read is something else that should be left to the production crew even if it's bad? I also guess customers pointing out defects in manufacturing should also be left to the production staff as well? How do you think things change, by constructive criticism and suggestions for improvements. If your selling an item, you want it to appeal to the greatest number possible right? So why would having a vote be bad, as it would make for better information(on customers likes & dislikes), so that a better product can be offered. That's basic business 101. The places that fail, are the ones who think they know it all, and don't think anyone else can have a good idea, thought or opinion different than their own.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:57 pm

Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:26 pm
RetroBob wrote:

The picture size could be as big or small as they decide to offer it up. And until the issues is finalized and gone to press, allowing for a vote is more than feasible(it may be months before said issue is offered, but it could be done). Me giving a suggestion to help out with rather bad opinions on current things being done, is just that, a suggestion(my opinion). This magazine is not free, and so long as customers are paying funds, and having problems, then each persons thoughts on the matter are just as valuable as anyone else's(if agreed with or not).

I guess having print that's to hard to read is something else that should be left to the production crew even if it's bad? I also guess customers pointing out defects in manufacturing should also be left to the production staff as well? How do you think things change, by constructive criticism and suggestions for improvements. If your selling an item, you want it to appeal to the greatest number possible right? So why would having a vote be bad, as it would make for better information(on customers likes & dislikes), so that a better product can be offered. That's basic business 101. The places that fail, are the ones who think they know it all, and don't think anyone else can have a good idea, thought or opinion different than their own.
I specifically said that we can offer our feedback here.

I'm not in the magazine production business but listen those that have been on podcasts and it sounds like a mad dash to get everything done in time. I am however in the statistics business, the sample size of people who would respond on this forum would not be representative of the whole readership. But hey I may be wrong, we'll see.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

Sega_MegaDive

Post by Sega_MegaDive » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 am

Doesnt it make sense though that the most attractive cover is going to be the one that has to catch the potential buyers eye on the shelf?

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:29 am

RetroBob wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:57 pm
Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:26 pm
RetroBob wrote:

I specifically said that we can offer our feedback here.

I'm not in the magazine production business but listen those that have been on podcasts and it sounds like a mad dash to get everything done in time. I am however in the statistics business, the sample size of people who would respond on this forum would not be representative of the whole readership. But hey I may be wrong, we'll see.
I do agree that if it was only offered here, it may or may not be very accurate, but of course, I would include all social media outlets as well. Yeah, I was only making a suggestion I thought would help those here who are having problems with these subscriber covers. Even if a vote isn't done, which I don't believe they would ever do anyway(they honestly just don't seem to care much about problems), at the very least subscribers should have the option to choose, as no one signed up to get a different cover each month, especially ones that are worse than the standard editions.

Since this has started, I have only liked one subscriber cover, and have thought all the others, looked much better on the retail editions. So for me personally, if this trend of lackluster covers continues, I would for sure rather have the retail, and then when a rare gem happens, I can just buy that issue locally(if I so choose). But since I'm a subscriber, and I'm doing so to save money, I have to be OK with these covers, good or bad as there isn't any other options.