Retro Gamer issue 182

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Major Havoc

Retro Gamer issue 182

Post by Major Havoc » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:13 am

I just wanted to doff my proverbial hat to the creator (Sam or Warren?) of the subscriber cover to issue 182, it’s absolutely stunning in my opinion (and I’m not particularly a Mega Drive fan) and was a genuine thrill to open – so personally I think the subscribers win this round.

I must admit, I wasn’t overly enamoured with the subscriber cover to issue 181 and realised that arguably if there is a loser in the subscriber cover sweepstakes, it’s the designer who has one more cover to produce each month, but no more time in which to do so. Arguably it also goes to the bottom of the list in terms of priorities (being guaranteed sales).

However, I would like to think these covers (because they are guaranteed sales) would give their designers the opportunity to try something genuinely experimental each time without fear of interference from marketing. So (from this subscriber at least) please continue to try bold and new designs each time (if you have the time) rather than a simple rehash of assets used on the retail cover and I hope Future Publishing will continue to allow this.

Personally, I’d rather have hits and misses as long as it’s something new and different – so more power to your elbow (or perhaps mouse would be more appropriate...)

Solegor

Re: Retro Gamer issue 182

Post by Solegor » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:18 am

Ok this time subscriber cover looks good, let's see if this trend continues. Definitely newsstand cover is great as well, even to the point that I'm kinda torn between the two :)
But reading about the missing goodies problem people are having with this issue makes me sad.

P.s. my copy will not arrive for about a month, so could someone please tell how long will this 8bitdo controller offer last on page 32? Wanted to pick one for my SNES mini 8)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:32 am

Solegor wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:18 am
Ok this time subscriber cover looks good, let's see if this trend continues. Definitely newsstand cover is great as well, even to the point that I'm kinda torn between the two :)
But reading about the missing goodies problem people are having with this issue makes me sad.

P.s. my copy will not arrive for about a month, so could someone please tell how long will this 8bitdo controller offer last on page 32? Wanted to pick one for my SNES mini 8)
New subscribers get the 8bitcontroller free if they subscribe for 6 months, small print says it’s only for UK subscribers so seems like overseas readers will have to go without.

As for the time limit first come first served basis by the look of it.
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Eric

Post by Eric » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:15 pm

Solegor wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:18 am

Great covers both, the retail cover though is slightly ruined by the subscription NES like gamepad offer. Detracts view from main image and clutters the cover while also breaking up the clean background. Advertising for subscription should not be on the front cover. I’ve placed the Sega Seal of Quality sticker provided over the offending area ;)

I do like the authors being credited by the “Words by...” text for each of main articles that wad introduced last month, alot cleaner than the original method of including authors name in the article description text.
Image Image Image Image

merman

Post by merman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:09 am

Great selection of Making Ofs, loved Ian Dransfield's piece on the Build engine and Paul Drury's piece on the EyeToy (did not know so many games supported it).
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:29 am

My last issue, shame but I just don’t love it like I used to. Thanks for entertaining me for 182 issues.
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

Crusty Starfish

Post by Crusty Starfish » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:25 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:29 am
My last issue, shame but I just don’t love it like I used to. Thanks for entertaining me for 182 issues.
I thought that a few issues back - then there was one that I really enjoyed. (Not so into this issue though).

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 pm

Crusty Starfish wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:25 pm
Bub&Bob wrote:
I thought that a few issues back - then there was one that I really enjoyed. (Not so into this issue though).
It was my last subscription issue and I never go into WH Smiths etc so it will definitely be my last
The dry fart for Barry MacDermot and all the cancer patients in the Glamorgan testicle ward

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:07 pm

There's nothing wrong with taking a break. RG has published almost as many issues as Crash & Zzap combined. It can get boring to read about the same topic each month. I suspect RG will outlive its readership, even die-hard collectors. We'll all be defeated by lack of space, lack of funds, loss of interest, or health issues at one stage or another. I've got every issue as well, but have less interest in retro gaming as a whole than I did at the start.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:50 pm

Its a fantastic publication, and I have feelings of guilt not getting every single issue- use it or lose it and all that, and all physical media battle with the times of downloads etc. But I buy case by case individual issues simply from the point of view there is only so much space you can have, although issues can be resold to recoup money if they aren't a favourite

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:13 am

Loved the article on the Build Engine, nicely written and very thorough. That was always a minor gripe of mine on the prior Duke Nukem articles, where Ken Silverman wasn't interviewed or barely mentioned.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:28 am

Still love the mag. Subscriptions cheap as anything

Yeah been some months or issues I’m not keen on but if we all picked and chose what issues to get from time to time I’m sure the mag would fold. Again it’s cheap as anything

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:37 pm

Same thoughts here, I'd be gutted if the mag stopped. Having bought gaming mags since the 80s, this is the only mag out there that really appeals to me and has classic values and content. Unlike a lot of other mags (looking at you Edge), RG let the stories and the people in them do the talking instead of thinking their opinion is what matters the most. There are still so many retro stories to tell as well - they've barely scratched the top off the US for instance.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:22 pm

Bub&Bob wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 pm
Crusty Starfish wrote:
Bub&Bob wrote:
It was my last subscription issue and I never go into WH Smiths etc so it will definitely be my last
:( bye bye Bub :(
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

Bub&Bob

Post by Bub&Bob » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:55 pm

jdanddiet wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:22 pm
Bub&Bob wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:32 pm
Crusty Starfish wrote:

:( bye bye Bub :(
Thanks!! I'll still visit here occasionally but just no longer buying the mag!