Retro Gamer issue 180

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Solegor

Retro Gamer issue 180

Post by Solegor » Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:51 pm

With this one subscribers are getting an exclusive cover! And it looks awesome in my opinion :o How will non-exclusive cover look?
What is inside?! Definitely some Mickey Mania coverage :wink:

iandmr

Re: Retro Gamer issue 180

Post by iandmr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:07 pm

Hi all. The cover does look great! I have a plea to make regarding it.

I have bought every edition of the magazine since number one so I have a complete collection. I have always bought from a store in case my dog (several over the years now as I have been collecting for so long) catches it!

Now there is to be an exclusive cover for subscribers I have had to subscribe though. At least I’ll save lots of money! Although this means I am now building some protection for the mailbox too. When I subscribed I learnt I’m going to miss issue 180 and my perfect collection is at risk of missing the exclusive cover.

Does anybody know how I can get hold of a subscriber edition 180? I have ordered it from the publisher already but they think it will be the retail edition I receive. I will be checking ebay of course. Does anybody have two subscriptions and a spare they could let me buy?

Forgive me for posting this I’m uncertain of any protocols but I’m pretty desperate not to blemish my collection of the magazine with a missing cover!!

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:41 pm

Damn that OCD will cost you !

Sure there’ll be one on eBay in the near future don’t panic

You better save your money for when they do the 20 different covers for issue 200

;)

iandmr

Post by iandmr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:46 pm

20 months to save up for the extension to the house to hold them all in then 😀.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:03 am

Looks awesome, one of my fave games from the 90s too. I'm hanging out for the Ken Williams In the Chair as well, given how rare it is he does this sort of thing, hopefully its extensive

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:16 am

iandmr wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:07 pm
I have bought every edition of the magazine since number one so I have a complete collection. I have always bought from a store in case my dog (several over the years now as I have been collecting for so long) catches it!

Now there is to be an exclusive cover for subscribers I have had to subscribe though.
This isn't the first time there have been cover variants, so your collection may not be as 'complete' as you think. The Pokemon cover for example had multiples (and my subs copy was the childish Pikachu one). Offhand I'm not sure of others, buit if you're being super anal about it, something to consider. I'm satisfied with just one copy of each mag, not really bothered about covers, only the content.

This is a nice cover though, quite striking, even though I don't have any love for the game.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

iandmr

Post by iandmr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks so much for making me feel better. I realise I am daft wanting the different cover, for example they released different Mario Kart covers.

Unless I buy 2 copies of every edition from now I'm going to miss the retail edition cover. I guess I have to make a call on which one to collect and the subscriber cover is the one I think.

So the search for the #180 subscriber cover will need to go on 😁.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:41 pm

Subscriber/variant covers are far from the norm, there aren't many of them. I think the Pokemon one had most variants, as there were more than two iirc.

I'm not knocking it, I understand the desire to complete a collection, it's just not for me in this instance. One of those things where the company pretty much takes advantage of it's readership by forcing some of us to buy multiple copies of the mag, so not a practice I particularly like.
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

iandmr

Post by iandmr » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Which gets me thinking......

How many have there been? Without checking through I recall the Pokemon and Super Mario Kart covers....

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:57 pm

iandmr wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:03 pm
Which gets me thinking......

How many have there been? Without checking through I recall the Pokemon and Super Mario Kart covers....
To my knowledge they are the only two split runs we've done.
We've done a few flipper covers in the past, but that's it.

There will be a unique cover for subscribers every issue going forward from now on.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:08 pm

Presumably subs will get the worst of the two, since the best one will be wanted to draw in new readers on the newsstands.

I'll refer you also to my previous comment.

knight_beat

Post by knight_beat » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:06 pm

RG's twitter feed contains a photograph of the latest edition, which I assume is the newsstand edition. The subs edition looks much better in my opinion.

Can you embed a tweet on this forum? I feel guilty for linking directly to the image.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 7:16 am

Fair enough, we win this time. I do like the clean layout too, without all the other stuff about what's in the mag, though that does make picking up a back issue for a flick a harder choice. I suppose that's what the contents pages are for.

I wouldn't worry about linking the image, there aren't that many people reading the forum these days.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:41 am

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:41 pm
readership by forcing some
No-ones being forced to do anything, so no advantage is being taken. There are some collectors who like this kind of stuff - its just as valid to say the magazine owners are pandering to collectors than taking advantage of them.

psj3809

Post by psj3809 » Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:51 pm

Bit frustrating as i prefer the 'normal' cover by far. I did subscribe to the star wars magazine for a while but the subscribers copy was similar (eg no captions on top of that), wanted the original, frustrating ! Then again poor Retro Gamer cant win can they ! Do prefer the normal format though. Not a huge issue though (Saying that its a bit annoying it doesnt say what issue number it is)

Anyway mine arrived today, love Chaos Engine so looking forward to reading that. Couple of other articles looked good