From The Forum 181_: Favourite Street Fighter game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

NeppyDreamy

Re: From The Forum 181_: Favourite Street Fighter game

Post by NeppyDreamy » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:31 am

RetroBob wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:52 am
SFII Champion Edition on the Mega Drive - a great 6 button controller and playing as the bosses bested the SNES version. Now I'll play on either 16 bit console but after that the games became too complex.
I have to agree that the best port made at the time was the MD version.
I think my sister's boyfriend has the game, as a matter of fact, and said it was better than the SNES version, especially as in PAL, SNES SF2 was a lot slower than MD SF2, because they didn't optimised it properly.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:02 pm

Great point, being able to speed it up was cool.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:43 am

RetroBob wrote:
Thu Apr 26, 2018 6:02 pm
Great point, being able to speed it up was cool.
Forgot that was a thing in the MD version, while SNES had to wait a bit later. :P

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:24 pm

I have to say the C64 version was absolutely shocking. I had moved on to an Amiga by then, and that version was acceptable even with odd controls. But the C64 version - well, they shouldn't have bothered imo. I tried to play it a while back and it's just a mess. The C64 had plenty of great fighting games so you'd think it could have been done with some obvious concessions.

The SNES SF2 Turbo was probably the best version I played at home back in the day.

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:52 pm

tapmantwo wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:24 pm
I have to say the C64 version was absolutely shocking. I had moved on to an Amiga by then, and that version was acceptable even with odd controls. But the C64 version - well, they shouldn't have bothered imo. I tried to play it a while back and it's just a mess. The C64 had plenty of great fighting games so you'd think it could have been done with some obvious concessions.

The SNES SF2 Turbo was probably the best version I played at home back in the day.
ooh you're from Kent too! :D

SF2 SNES Turbo was really nice, but I still would take the Mega Drive SF2CE over it for a proper 6-button pad layout and the turbo mode, as well as a better PAL optimisation, since I'm not really into getting imports/etc.

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 pm

I see your point about the controller - though the SNES pad just seemed to work :)

Yes I'm from Ashford in Kent. Most of my arcade experiences were in Folkestone at the old Rotunda park before they shut it down. Such a shame, was great and I'd love to be able to take my kids there now :)

SFII on the other hand - my fondest arcade memory of that was at Butlin's Bognor Regis. 1 week of playing whenever I could get some coins off my parents, or watching other people play when I couldn't :)

NeppyDreamy

Post by NeppyDreamy » Tue May 01, 2018 2:05 pm

tapmantwo wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:29 pm
I see your point about the controller - though the SNES pad just seemed to work :)

Yes I'm from Ashford in Kent. Most of my arcade experiences were in Folkestone at the old Rotunda park before they shut it down. Such a shame, was great and I'd love to be able to take my kids there now :)

SFII on the other hand - my fondest arcade memory of that was at Butlin's Bognor Regis. 1 week of playing whenever I could get some coins off my parents, or watching other people play when I couldn't :)
I'm from Margate :P

:( regarding the place that closed -.-

My dad remembers himself bunking off school to play SF2 in the arcades, even now he still beats me, though I'm really bad at the game I still enjoy it ^^

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Thu May 03, 2018 7:45 pm

It used to be Street Fighter II for the SNES, until I discovered the Special Championship Edition on the Mega Drive!
Press Play On Tape

Tom_Baker

Post by Tom_Baker » Wed May 09, 2018 5:14 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:03 pm
What's your favourite Street Fighter game and why?
Nosey ain't ya.You a policeman or summat?

themightymartin

Post by themightymartin » Thu May 10, 2018 10:02 pm

I'm not a big fan of Street Fighter, but the original game with the pressure-sensitive buttons that you could break your wrists on was certainly an interesting beast.
Xbox Live\Steam: themightymartin
3DS Friend Code: 5000-3656-8384
Zazzle Store: YonDer Designs