From The Forum issue 180 - Favourite Bitmap Brothers Game

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

silvergunner

Re: From The Forum issue 180 - Favourite Bitmap Brothers Game

Post by silvergunner » Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:11 pm

Speedball 2 for me. It was just so addictive to play even in one player with the league to play through. The magic of this game can never be recreated again in a modern version.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:51 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:57 am
If Gods had been a bit smoother then I would have picked it (perhaps the Genesis version is worth trying?)
Oh my. I watched a few clips on youtube. Yes: plural. I thought the first one was tampered with. So I checked two more.
The MD version is Gods on speed - like a fast forward version. And without having played it I'm not sure that is a good thing. It's like it can run 50fps but they didn't bother putting in more frames or adjusting the speed so it goes 2-3x faster than the original simply by doing the logic/movement/animation every frame instead of every 2 or 3 or what the original was. Most peculiar.

SpecChum81
Location: London, a small village on Mars, just outside the capital city, Wubble!!

Post by SpecChum81 » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:58 pm

The Chaos Engine for me, it's always been one of my favourite Mega Drive games.
Press Play On Tape

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:50 am

Speedball 2 - purely for the great memories of playing it at a friends house until the early hours (and still to this day every now and then). The Chaos Engine and Xenon come in a joint 2nd place ,

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:34 pm

Xenon 2 on account of it being one of the earliest games I remember playing...and the only bitmap brothers game I've actually played!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

tapmantwo

Post by tapmantwo » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:11 am

I always felt that if you bought a Bitmap Bros game, you knew it was going to be worth the money. My favourite would be Speedball 2 on the Amiga, played loads of it. It had so much polish alongside the excellent game play, and truly felt like an arcade game.

I recently played the C64 version for the first time too. It understandably lacks some of the polish, but plays very well indeed. A true classic.

merman

Post by merman » Mon Apr 09, 2018 12:27 pm

tapmantwo wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:11 am
I always felt that if you bought a Bitmap Bros game, you knew it was going to be worth the money. My favourite would be Speedball 2 on the Amiga, played loads of it. It had so much polish alongside the excellent game play, and truly felt like an arcade game.

I recently played the C64 version for the first time too. It understandably lacks some of the polish, but plays very well indeed. A true classic.
Totally agree, Carl Muller did an excellent job - and the fact that the game is packed into a single load (with a separate intro) is even better.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

Whazeboo

Post by Whazeboo » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:52 pm

I go for Magic Pockets. It is not the most refered Bitmap Brothers game but I like the crazy power-ups, cute baddies, the tricycle crash run and of course the Betty Boo soundtrack.