Retro Gamer - Issue 178

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

TheAlex

Re: Retro Gamer - Issue 178

Post by TheAlex » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:25 pm

I enjoyed the MUD article even though some of it went over my head. I was hoping for a bit more from the Goldeneye feature given how many pages it took up, but it was good nonetheless.

I liked the little Oh Mummy feature too. Championship Manager still to read - I'm looking forward to that one.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:29 am

The Championship Manager feature was absolutely brilliant as was most of the magazine this month.
I didn't really like last issue so good to see a smile on my face as I read Retro Gamer.
Please keep up the good work!

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:03 am

Completely agree! While browsing through the issue on arrival was quite disappointed - a lot of topics didn't resonate with me.
But actually reading this issue was a blast - so many topics I thought I didn't care about were very enlightening and well written - especially the football manager, Warthog games article and the story of MUD.
That's why sometimes it's good to step out of your comfort zone and learn something new. Modern platforms like YouTube only feed you stuff you're already interested in so there is little chance to learn something new or have a new perspective. Echo chamber is what it's called.
But with the printed magazine arriving once in a month you can really broaden your horizon by reading something that you thought you were not interested in.
Anyway, keep up the good work RG!)

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:37 am

Yes, for the record I hate football or soccer as its known in Australia but the article was very inspiring and super fun and interesting to read. It didn't matter that the article was super long as I was begging for more by the end. Oh, and Jane Wittaker made me laugh at more than one occasion during the interview. Overall, almost everything in the magazine was simply awesome to read. Even if I read half of it a little high off my nut.

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:13 am

Jane Whittaker's story made me think it's an April's fools joke. I mean this person had been involved with Dali, worked with the very famous people from the industry, had been asked to work on the Flight Simulator by Bill Gates and so on:) But there are several other websites that had interviewed Jane in 2017 so I guess most of it is true or maybe at least the 'Big Fish' kinda story :)
Anyway, truly impressive career and life. The only thing I didn't like is the focus on the physical aspects of Jane's anatomy and the phrase 'conjoined twin with a very rare mix of male and female body parts' which was used by several other outlets as well - word by word.

Ryan GH

Post by Ryan GH » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:50 am

I thought it was amazing that a guy/girl who was so seriously disabled in his early years to go on to become such a brilliant and inspirational figure in the gaming industry, He had some very awesome stories to tell too. Once again, this issue of Retro Gamer was an awesome read and I'm not just saying that as I'm filled with opiates almost every day. :P