Tracking lateness

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Madjock

Re: Tracking lateness

Post by Madjock » Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:22 pm

213 also arrived for me yesterday, three months later, guess we just need to be super patent at the moment.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:40 am

Madjock wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 3:22 pm
213 also arrived for me yesterday, three months later, guess we just need to be super patent at the moment.
What country are you in?

When they sent out that email before xmas saying issues would be a few days late, they misspelt months :lol:

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:11 am

In a swift sprint across the channel #216 found my mailbox today, only two weeks after the previous issue. (I.e. having cut back the slack now.)

flugle

Post by flugle » Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:17 pm

Madjock wrote:
I'm in NSW, still no sign here. Hopefully your good news means mine is *somewhere* in the mail

Edit: Just saw 213 at a local newsagent so gave up and bought one. If my sub copy ever turns up I will have a spare for someone missing this issue.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:08 am

flugle wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:17 pm
Madjock wrote:
I'm in NSW, still no sign here. Hopefully your good news means mine is *somewhere* in the mail

Edit: Just saw 213 at a local newsagent so gave up and bought one. If my sub copy ever turns up I will have a spare for someone missing this issue.
I did this last Sunday, and then 213 showed up in my mailbox the very next day :D

flugle

Post by flugle » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:56 pm

Yes, of course mine did too :) So I have a spare now.

So this raises the question, which may be answered next month if our subs and newsagent copies appear at the same time. Are they now using the same slow (seamail?) service that they have been using for newsagents for years now (3+ months late to Aus/NZ).

And if so, why are we still paying a premium price on our sub? I can now pay less by either paying for air freighted copies at the newsagent and receive a current copy, or, accept I'm a few months behind and walk around the corner to a newsagent. Both ways I'm paying less than this subscription.

SltPeants

Post by SltPeants » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:02 pm

I’m hoping there is someone here that can help me. I have every issue and have been subscribing since 2008 or so, I live in the US, and ever since issue 205, I either receive the issues months late, which is fine, or not at all, which isn’t. I have had to email the subscription company about 10 times before I got replacements sent, and that was after they said they sent them and didn’t. Now the last issue I’ve received is issue 211, tried to order replacements, and they just try to give me digital copies, which I don’t want, and basically ignore me.

Since I can’t deal with the customer service anymore, does anyone know where I can purchase the mag in the US again like I used to? Barnes and Noble used to carry the mag for years, haven’t seen a new issue since 203 so I guess they stopped. I can’t find literally any way to actually buy the magazine except on EBay. I live in CT, any help would be appreciated...

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:56 pm

It's such a shame that international shipping is so poor now :-(
Xbox Live: RetroBob

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:47 am

flugle wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:56 pm
Yes, of course mine did too :) So I have a spare now.

So this raises the question, which may be answered next month if our subs and newsagent copies appear at the same time. Are they now using the same slow (seamail?) service that they have been using for newsagents for years now (3+ months late to Aus/NZ).

And if so, why are we still paying a premium price on our sub? I can now pay less by either paying for air freighted copies at the newsagent and receive a current copy, or, accept I'm a few months behind and walk around the corner to a newsagent. Both ways I'm paying less than this subscription.
Thats exactly what I think it is too, the only other possibility could be that they are sending them out really,really late. There isn't any date stamping on the bag or paper inlay that I could use to work out when it was actually shipped or anything.

As long as I get the mag I'm not too worried, however three months without an issue is a bit rubbish. They clearly know that something is wrong, as they sent that email recently about the subscriptions likely being a few days late - would've been better if they were a bit more honest about it.

brjoce

Post by brjoce » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:24 pm

SltPeants wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:02 pm
I’m hoping there is someone here that can help me. I have every issue and have been subscribing since 2008 or so, I live in the US...I have had to email the subscription company about 10 times before I got replacements sent, and that was after they said they sent them and didn’t. Now the last issue I’ve received is issue 211
I'm with you on this problem. I haven't received an issue since 211, back on Dec, 1st. I live in MS, so other than Barnes or ebay I'm out of luck. I just don't know what the issue is. USPS is delivering everything else on time or thereabouts for me, and I have Informed Delivery, so I generally have an idea when a magazine or similar is out for delivery. Obviously this is a publisher problem, and all they've done for me is extend sub or add some digital issues. Very frustrated by this too.

SltPeants

Post by SltPeants » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm

I never had a problem until a year ago, now the company is using Covid as an excuse for either not shipping at all, or they are shipping months late. They obviously don’t care about international subscribers even though we pay way more for our issues. I’ve gotten things from amazon Japan and other countries including the UK in a very timely manner, so it’s not the postal service. They obviously want to shift everyone over to digital subscriptions so they dont have to pay the shipping cost and have the overhead of printing a magazine, but if they can’t make money on printing and shipping a physical magazine anymore, they should just drop the print mags entirely. But I grew up reading magazines, and I paid for a magazine, and if I wanted data on a screen, I can go on the internet for that, and I already spend way too much time on screens, so if I can’t get the mag in a store or through subscribing, I guess my 17 year run is done. Shame.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:32 pm

SltPeants wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm
I never had a problem until a year ago, now the company is using Covid as an excuse for either not shipping at all, or they are shipping months late. They obviously don’t care about international subscribers even though we pay way more for our issues. I’ve gotten things from amazon Japan and other countries including the UK in a very timely manner, so it’s not the postal service. They obviously want to shift everyone over to digital subscriptions so they dont have to pay the shipping cost and have the overhead of printing a magazine, but if they can’t make money on printing and shipping a physical magazine anymore, they should just drop the print mags entirely. But I grew up reading magazines, and I paid for a magazine, and if I wanted data on a screen, I can go on the internet for that, and I already spend way too much time on screens, so if I can’t get the mag in a store or through subscribing, I guess my 17 year run is done. Shame.
I actually agree with this, I was incredibly disappointed with the recent service I got, forced to go to PayPal to sort out their crap. I love the mag, I really do- But I feel their service team is now so bad, it is sabotaging the company. It does feel for all money like they are not interested in printing the mag anymore, don't want to bother with international deliveries especially.
And yes, I also enjoy the physical mag- I don't want to look at the bloody screen for absolutely everything, and won't be bothering with them if they can't sort themselves out- which you get the feeling they don't really care about anyway.

RetroBob

Post by RetroBob » Tue Feb 09, 2021 4:31 pm

I'm with you guys. I spend all damn day staring at a screen, I want to read a magazine.

Future cannot pretend this is a Covid issue. People have been flagging this long before the last 12 months.
Xbox Live: RetroBob

SltPeants

Post by SltPeants » Tue Feb 09, 2021 10:50 pm

There you go, I think that's exactly what it is. International shipping is probably so expensive at this point, they figure the only way they will make money is to see who will sign on for digital subs, which barely cost them anything to distribute, no shipping or printing costs, and they will just burn bridges with every subscriber until they either drop their sub or switch to digital, which I'm not going to do. I feel bad for the people that work on these mags, as I'm sure they are aware with the service mymags is giving now, they are going to be circling the drain in a year or two as actual physical mags are probably going the way of the dodo, especially inported ones like this is for us in the US.

kiwimike wrote:
Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:32 pm
SltPeants wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:31 pm
I actually agree with this, I was incredibly disappointed with the recent service I got, forced to go to PayPal to sort out their crap. I love the mag, I really do- But I feel their service team is now so bad, it is sabotaging the company. It does feel for all money like they are not interested in printing the mag anymore, don't want to bother with international deliveries especially.
And yes, I also enjoy the physical mag- I don't want to look at the bloody screen for absolutely everything, and won't be bothering with them if they can't sort themselves out- which you get the feeling they don't really care about anyway.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:27 am

absolute scenes here in NZ, 214 sub issue showed up only 2.5 weeks after 213 did 8)