Tracking lateness

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Beakerman

Re: Tracking lateness

Post by Beakerman » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:30 pm

Mauricio wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:08 am
And a question for Beakerman: for pocketmags.com, where did you find the "Item Ref. Number"?
I think that number is your Subscriber number, but I'm not sure.

In more positive news, today I received Issue 207 in the mail !

Which is kind of ironic because I just placed an order for 207, 210, and 212 from MagazinesDirect.com store. I also bought issue 211 from an ebay seller. Sadly I cannot find issue 206 yet, but maybe in a while someone will post it for sale on ebay.

In confusing news, customer service just replied to me again. While they first claimed they would resend me a few issues, now they are contradicting themselves saying they have no stock of any issues. And they tacked on another 5 months to my sub. Ok cool.
Thank you for contacting Magazines Direct.

We are sorry to hear that you did not receive your issues. We have checked your records and can confirm this was despatched to you, and can only assume it was lost within the postal system.

Unfortunately, this issue is now out of print, and we are unable to send a replacement copy. Your subscription has therefore been extended by 5 issues and will now expire with the 226th edition.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. If we can be of any further assistance, please contact us.

Kind regards
Magazines Direct Customer Service

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 am

Beakerman wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:30 pm
I think that number is your Subscriber number, but I'm not sure.
Sure enough, that worked! However, I only see a single issue, the latest one (#213 Prince of Persia). Is that what you are seeing? I am able to access all of the missing delayed issues on my iPad with the Retro Gamer app, which is handy.

And good to hear you got #207... hopefully I will get it soon as well.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Thu Oct 29, 2020 4:49 am

So with #213 hitting stores today, I still haven't received #212 because Germany is so far away from the UK that four weeks is just not enough time to reach it. Yet meanwhile, people living around 30-40 miles east of my home got it last Wednesday - but then again, that was what usually happened before as well...

So seems like some things are staying the same with the new system, which sucks, but would at least not have made it worse either. Guess I'll have to wait and see (as always, yay).

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:04 am

Mauricio wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:06 am
And good to hear you got #207... hopefully I will get it soon as well.
FYI, I did get my copy of #207 from May (subscriber cover, fortunately) on Oct 31. I still haven't seen #206, and that appears to be the same for everyone in the US.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:44 pm

#212 subscription issue finally showed up in NZ today, was starting to get worried, but kind of expected given how late it went out to UK subscribers

Beakerman

Post by Beakerman » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Mauricio wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:04 am
FYI, I did get my copy of #207 from May (subscriber cover, fortunately) on Oct 31. I still haven't seen #206, and that appears to be the same for everyone in the US.
I finally received my subscriber issue 206 yesterday! So there is hope!

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 pm

Beakerman wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:46 pm
Mauricio wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:04 am
I finally received my subscriber issue 206 yesterday! So there is hope!
My #206 arrived here in Vegas within the last few days as well, as did #210, which I didn't even know I had coming, since I thought my sub was over. #207 seems to be my only missing issue currently, so hopefully that arrives soon, and then I'm done with this s**t show!!!

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:41 pm

Somewhat related: The last order I had placed for a "in stock" single issue on MyFavouriteMagazines (for Edge, but I doubt that was the reason for the problem) a few weeks before they suddendly shut down never got dispatched and the new customer "service" didn't even managed to look after that properly, of course.

So I had to flag a conflict on PayPal after around two months later, which finally got resolved today with me getting my money back - based on how this went down, I guess PayPal didn't get any answer from Future either (maybe the email address doesn't even work anymore, who knows) and so quickly decided in my favour.

Hooray, but also serves to show once again what a crapshow that company has become.

Napolitano

Post by Napolitano » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:23 pm

I ordered issue 211 as a single issue from the new site, all the way back in September 11th, and it still hasn't arrived (or any other issue in its place).

For context, here in Cyprus, a Magazine would take one and a half weeks max to arrive pre-Covid and two and a half weeks post Covid. I was never a subscriber, that was always a single issue order.

Unlike the old site, I didn't receive a shipping confirmation, so I have no idea, when and if, they even send the damn thing.

I used to buy the magazine locally, as it was available in local newsagents (though in low quantities) since launch, but I was tired of the local Euro price stickers messing up my covers.

Since as a matter of principle, I never order a new issue until the previous one I ordered had arrived, I haven't ordered 212 or 213 yet (213 is out of stock and I can't anymore anyway) and it doesn't look like I'm ever going to.

I was patient to contact them, until today since I read some posts here, and looks like they've messed up a lot of peoples send issues, and I figured that the unusual delay and the change of site wasn't coincidental.

They send me back an automated email, and told me to make an account to the new site, (which I did, since it wasn't required for the single issue order) and it says that issue 213 was delivered? An issue I never ordered, and probably wouldn't have time to arrive by now by old delivery time standards anyway?

Hopefully, I'll be able to get a refund, or the issue I actually ordered or at least another issue as a replacement and hopefully I won't have to call the helpline, which will probably cost me more than the issue is worth to call from down here.

Anyway, I just wanted the editors to know (if they actually read this), that whatever the people at sales are doing, they are doing their best to drive readers away, which is pretty sad because none of this is your fault.

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Sat Nov 07, 2020 4:00 am

Waiting for these issues has also trained me how to wait for election results...

#206 has arrived for me too! What a strange journey this magazine must have taken.

I also got #210 a few days ago. I am not sure if this is the replacement copy I requested, but it is the subscriber cover... so probably the (late) subscription copy.

Here is an updated status:
  • #206 (Apr 16) - received Nov 6
  • #207 (May 14) - received Oct 31
  • #208 (Jun 11) - received Oct 7 (standard cover)
  • #209 (Jul 9) - received Oct 7
  • #210 (Aug 6) - received Nov 4
  • #211 (Sept 3) - not yet received
  • #212 (Oct 1) - not yet received
  • #213 (Oct 29) - not yet received

brjoce

Post by brjoce » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:02 pm

brjoce wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:48 pm
In MS, USA. I was being very patient, given the circumstances. I have also not received 206, 208, 210, 211, and 212. Hearing your news and response is disheartening. I received 209 about 2 months ago and received 207 yesterday. Guess I'll be contacting subscriptions.
So updating: still missing 206, 208, 211, 212, and 213. I received 210 about 9 days ago. I see a couple of you have received 206, so I'm hoping...

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:13 pm

So today #213 decided to add to my plentyful (but slowly dwindling) un-read stack. Along with the Retro Tea-breaks book. Result!
EDIT: And my local newsagent had it the day after when I was there.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Fri Nov 27, 2020 4:45 am

Well then, just like last month, the new issue is in the shops and I have yet to receive the previous one - still no sign of #213 in my part of Germany.

gienekk

Post by gienekk » Fri Nov 27, 2020 7:36 am

Not only Germany, I'm still still waiting for 213 and a single order of 212 also.

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:14 am

FYI for US subscribers, here is part of a message that I received from the subscription team:
Starting with issue 215 we’re switching back to delivering Retro Gamer into the United States by air freight.

We acknowledge that the current delivery service, which was put in place to help us deliver issues through Covid-19 and lockdown regulations, is below the expectations and standards of subscribers and the Retro Gamer subscription team.

While the cost of delivering issues into the US by air freight has increased considerably, we are implementing this service upgrade at no extra cost to you.

With this new service, we expect delivery of issues to subscribers in the US to take approximately 21-28 working days, although many factors can cause this to vary.