Tracking lateness

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

gienekk

Re: Tracking lateness

Post by gienekk » Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:33 am

Anyone from continental Europe is still waiting for the arrival of issue 211?

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:42 pm

Sorting through my 4 months of unreads I noticed that I got EDGE #345 as a very late arrival. That concludes my EDGE deliveries.
Also: My local newsagent has #212 already. Hurry up...

BelfastGonzo

Post by BelfastGonzo » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:36 am

I've ordered stuff from China that arrives faster than Retro Gamer. But I do love Future's customer care - automatic emails that say nothing.

They genuinely do not seem to give a f***.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:25 am

I had a bit of a mail day yesterday with #212 and an issue of EDGE among several other things. I think I will have to schedule reading time during Christmas this year to reduce my backlog.

Beakerman

Post by Beakerman » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:29 pm

My subscription to Retro Gamer is supposed to be monthly, but Future cannot be bothered to actually send issues to paid subscribers.

So I paid $123 in March 2020 for a 1 year subscription. My first print issue was supposed to be 206. Then Covid-19 hit.

I, like many of you, received 1 email notice July 28th about them holding my issues to be shipped in batches due to Covid-19. Those held issues were 206, 207, 208. Ok, that's fine, there is a pandemic going on, send the magazines when you can. I can read the digital editions for now.

Today is October 23, 2020. Almost 3 months after the only email notice. Almost 8 months after my subscription began. Thus far I have received only 2 issues, 208 and 209.

What's going on?

I logged into my account on the "new" mymagazine website, and they claim that my issues 210, 211, and 212 have all been delivered! Yay, it must be true, if it's on the internet, right? Gee, well, I'm still missing 5 issues - 206, 207, 210, 211, and 212. At this point, I will probably never receive all of them, as some are likely out of print. Great.

No sign of the back issues of my magazines, no new issues either, no email updates, no apologies. But hey they can bother to email me offers to renew my subscription, and buy other magazines.

What's going on? Garbage customer service is what's going on. $123 straight down the toilet is what's going on. Chalk up another 2020 epic fail is what's going on.

What is not going on is me renewing my subscription to a great magazine. Which is very sad, because when I can read it, Retro Gamer is truly great. Future should rename to Failure.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:40 pm

Have any external to Europe subscribers received 212 yet? I presume it will be delayed given the UK ones were pretty late too?

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:10 am

So aside from NorthWay, who has an established track record of being the only non-UK subscriber who does get his copy in a reasonable timeframe more often than not, I've been informed that subscription copies of 212 have started to show up in Germany as well which the first known sighting confirmed on Wednesday. Of course I haven received mine so, big f-ing surprise.

At least this is kind of prove that the issue did get sent out as all (something I wasn't that optimistic about given that the new customer service has managed to become even worse) and the delay for UK subscribers seems to have not necessarily have translated to the rest, but of course nobody can say that for sure.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Sat Oct 24, 2020 9:20 am

My 212 arrived on Wednesday, which was a big surprise as Finland is usually after Norway at least.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:57 am

Beakerman wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 8:29 pm
My subscription to Retro Gamer is supposed to be monthly, but Future cannot be bothered to actually send issues to paid subscribers.

So I paid $123 in March 2020 for a 1 year subscription. My first print issue was supposed to be 206. Then Covid-19 hit.

I, like many of you, received 1 email notice July 28th about them holding my issues to be shipped in batches due to Covid-19. Those held issues were 206, 207, 208. Ok, that's fine, there is a pandemic going on, send the magazines when you can. I can read the digital editions for now.

Today is October 23, 2020. Almost 3 months after the only email notice. Almost 8 months after my subscription began. Thus far I have received only 2 issues, 208 and 209.

What's going on?

I logged into my account on the "new" mymagazine website, and they claim that my issues 210, 211, and 212 have all been delivered! Yay, it must be true, if it's on the internet, right? Gee, well, I'm still missing 5 issues - 206, 207, 210, 211, and 212. At this point, I will probably never receive all of them, as some are likely out of print. Great.

No sign of the back issues of my magazines, no new issues either, no email updates, no apologies. But hey they can bother to email me offers to renew my subscription, and buy other magazines.

What's going on? Garbage customer service is what's going on. $123 straight down the toilet is what's going on. Chalk up another 2020 epic fail is what's going on.

What is not going on is me renewing my subscription to a great magazine. Which is very sad, because when I can read it, Retro Gamer is truly great. Future should rename to Failure.
sorry you're having issues with your subscription.
Have you tried reaching out to help@magazinesdirect.com?
Also we've now found out that when it says delivered, it actually means dispatched. This is apparently a holdover from the previous company that owned it (IT Media). My understanding is it's one of the things that's being updated as it confused a lot of customers when the recent issue didn't arrive with UK subs recently.

Beakerman

Post by Beakerman » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:12 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:57 am
sorry you're having issues with your subscription.
Have you tried reaching out to help@magazinesdirect.com?
Also we've now found out that when it says delivered, it actually means dispatched. This is apparently a holdover from the previous company that owned it (IT Media). My understanding is it's one of the things that's being updated as it confused a lot of customers when the recent issue didn't arrive with UK subs recently.
Hi Darran,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. I know you are not responsible for magazine distribution, nor customer service, so I really do appreciate your help.

Yes I emailed help@magazinesdirect.com the same email that I sent to you. All I have received thus far is a canned response. I also just emailed the other address futurepriority@quadrantsubs.com to see if someone there can help. I am trying anything to get this issue resolved.

I will note that I am well aware there is a pandemic going on, but that does not excuse Future's lack of customer service. I cannot be the only customer left in the dark. I don't think I a'm out of line here, I just want communication via email, Twitter, anything, about what their plan is to deliver our paid merchandise.

Below is the canned response from help@magazinesdirect.com:
"Thank you for your email.

We have recently upgraded our subscription database and this has resulted in some delays to our ability to deal with enquiries. If you have experienced any delay, we are extremely sorry and would encourage you to go to [www.mymagazine.co.uk]www.mymagazine.co.uk where you will be able to do the following:

* Update your delivery address
* Update your billing details
* Renew your subscription
* Find out when your next issue is scheduled to be delivered
* Let us know that you are missing an issue and request a replacement

If your enquiry is new, we are working through a backlog of customer emails, so you may also find it easier to go to [www.mymagazine.co.uk]www.mymagazine.co.uk to avoid any delays. If you still need to contact us and are unable to resolve your issue, we are working quickly to return to normal and will endeavour to reply to you within a week.

Please bear with us and accept our apologies for any delay you may experience. We thank you for your patience."
I would be more patient if Future actually communicated proactively rather than clamming up and waiting for us paying subscribers to complain.

Thanks.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:22 pm

Beakerman wrote:
Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:12 pm
Yes I emailed help@magazinesdirect.com the same email that I sent to you. All I have received thus far is a canned response.
Ah yes, that canned response is well known by now... completely disregarding any specifics you have mentioned and of course the claim that they're working through blacklog would implay that a "real" response should be coming eventually, but it never does.

I actually got a reply early on before they started pushing that copy-and-paste nonsense once, but the person writing clearly hadn't really read my email as I was asked to provide various information that I actually had sent in the original inquiry.

Customer service from magazinesdirect.com is even worse than whatever myfavouritemagazines.co.uk did, and that's really saying a lot.

Beakerman

Post by Beakerman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:18 pm

I received an actual reply from help@magazinesdirect.com , with some good news and some bad news:
Thank you for contacting Magazines Direct.

We are sorry to hear that you did not receive your 207, 210 and 212 issues. We have checked our records and can confirm all the issues have been despatched to you, and can only assume they have been lost within the postal system.

We have arranged for the issues to be replaced, as requested.

We are sorry to hear that you did not receive the 206 and 211 editions. We have checked your records and can confirm this was despatched to you, and can only assume it was lost within the postal system.

Unfortunately, this issue is now out of print, and we are unable to send a replacement copy. We have therefore extended your subscription accordingly.

Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us

Kind regards

Magazines Direct Customer Service
Bad News: As I predicted, some issues are now out of print. I will have to purchase 206 & 211 for more money on the second hand market, aka ebay.

Potential Good News: Magazines Direct claims they will send me replacement issues of 207, 210, and 212. And they claim they will extend my subscription by 2 months for failing to provide 2 issues. Well how gracious of them! At least it's something.

If they send the replacement issues and new issues via the same failing shipping method, what are the odds that I will actually ever receive the issues?

Has anyone in the USA received their issues in the past few months?

brjoce

Post by brjoce » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:48 pm

In MS, USA. I was being very patient, given the circumstances. I have also not received 206, 208, 210, 211, and 212. Hearing your news and response is disheartening. I received 209 about 2 months ago and received 207 yesterday. Guess I'll be contacting subscriptions.

Beakerman

Post by Beakerman » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:55 pm

After some searching, I found the site to register to access your digital subscriptions:
https://www.magazinesdirect.com/digital ... ?title=RET

Then you can read them here:
https://pocketmags.com/

It's better than nothing!

Mauricio

Post by Mauricio » Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:08 am

Mostly for Beakerman, but also for my sanity... my issue status as a US subscriber:

#206 - not received (April 16 issue)
#207 - not received (May 14 issue) - UPDATE: received Oct 31
#208 - received on Oct 7, but this was the standard cover (not the subscriber cover)
#209 - also received on Oct 7, with the correct subscriber cover
#210 - not received (Aug 6 issue)
#211 - not received (Sept 3 issue)
#212 - not received (Oct 1 issue... may not technically be late yet)

And a question for Beakerman: for pocketmags.com, where did you find the "Item Ref. Number"?
Last edited by Mauricio on Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.