Tracking lateness

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Barbarian

Re: Tracking lateness

Post by Barbarian » Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 pm

Power_Player wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 pm
Has anyone already received issue 180 in Germany? I'm still waiting. :(
Just arrived in Munich and first thing I did was check the mailbox. I found anything in there but issue 180.
It gets more and more irritating. Still I'm "glad" to hear a fellow countryman is experiencing the same drama.
Keep up the fantastic job subs department :wink:

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue May 22, 2018 5:56 am

Barbarian wrote:
Mon May 21, 2018 8:48 pm
Power_Player wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 6:26 pm
Has anyone already received issue 180 in Germany? I'm still waiting. :(
Just arrived in Munich and first thing I did was check the mailbox. I found anything in there but issue 180.
It gets more and more irritating. Still I'm "glad" to hear a fellow countryman is experiencing the same drama.
Keep up the fantastic job subs department :wink:
It would be great to get a clear statement from them on what the shipping process actually is. I live in the furthest possible country in the world from England, close to 19,000 kms away, with one of the smallest populations, and I got the mag nearly two weeks quicker than people in Germany have, who are only 900 kms away. It seems like they don't ship it all out at the same time for some reason? You would expect that prepaid subscribers would get all their mags shipped as early as possible?

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Tue May 22, 2018 9:59 am

I think that the European magazines are shipped to some country first as bulk and then from there to individual countries. The other change in addition to the huge delays is that there is no "return to sender" address in the plastic wrapper anymore. It used to point to the Netherlands earlier.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Tue May 22, 2018 10:41 am

The last few issues to mainland Europe were shipped through Hungary, which is already somewhat weird and clearly has worsened the delivery times for most countries - Norway seems the strange exception to the rule, since Northway is getting his subscription _much_ faster than anyone else outside the UK based on his posts from the last months.

There actually is some sort of return address on the postage sticker, but "please return to Budapest, Hungary" doesn't feel like that really would be much of a help.

Also, Retro Gamer is sent with "standard" service, unlike Edge, which apparently has "priority": that goes through the same route, but has arrived around two weeks after the store date the last few times, so clearly there's a massive difference there.

And as has been repeatedly been pointed out, it is completely absurd that the magazine manages to arrive on the other side of the world quicker (and often significantly so) than it does for subscribers in countries that are almost direct neighbours.

I imagine the editorial side of Retro Gamer is possibly frustrated with the state of things as well, but likely can't do much about it - still, the complete silence in face of the situation clearly getting worse instead of better from everone at Future is disappointing, to say the least.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Wed May 23, 2018 3:53 pm

Oh hey, it's time for a minor miracle: issue #180 has started to show up on Germany as of today! At least in the southern part (Bavaria), I have no feedback from my fellow sufferers in the north yet.

So for issues released in 2018 so far, this is how long it took to reach Germany from the UK on sale date:

#177 - 33 days
#178 - 21 days
#179 - 30 days
#180 - 34 days (!)

Unsurprisingly, routing was agin through Hungary and labeled "standard" as opposed to "priority" which seems only for Edge - in practice the difference seems to be more than double the delivery time.

Based on this, I expect my subscription copy of #181 to arrive well after UK readers already have #182 in hand.

Yay.

czechrover

Post by czechrover » Thu May 24, 2018 6:51 am

The whole thing wouldn't be half as bad if they communicated and explained the issues to us!

A company that doesn't communicate with its loyal customers these days is just pathetic.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Thu May 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Apologies for the lateness in reply, but I felt there was no point in popping up here until I had something relevant to share with you. Hopefully the following will shed a little light.

"There is no routing difference between any title - they all follow the same carriers and routings. It's not title specific.

In terms of the process it runs like this:

Copies are wrapped and put in carrier sheets.
Mail is collected on the Subs mail due date and taken back to a central warehouse.
Copies are then consolidated onto carrier pallets with all other titles being mailed that day. Consolidation takes place within 24 hours of receiving copy.
Pallets are then delivered into those carriers hubs around Heathrow etc for entry to those postal services.
We have control up until that point, once handed over to the postal provider we lose control.
Those carriers then deliver into each territory and enter those copies into that country's postal system."

Hopefully this makes things a little clearer for everyone.

Boulder

Post by Boulder » Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 pm

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:16 pm
We have control up until that point, once handed over to the postal provider we lose control.
Those carriers then deliver into each territory and enter those copies into that country's postal system."
Don't you have any service level requirements? Now the magazines seem to spend an extra 2-3 weeks somewhere before they actually arrive in the country where the final delivery point is. I mean, our postal service is notorious but still they do manage to deliver in 2-3 days once any shipment is in the country.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Thu May 24, 2018 8:47 pm

You should sneak in a gps tracker in one of your shipments and have it record its position on the way to a random subscriber.

On another note: Should I be worried that my local newsagent no longer has RG on its shelves? (I get mine from the sub, but I'm not liking the signal this is sending...)

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Fri May 25, 2018 3:24 am

Now subs Issue 181 has shown up in New Zealand - very pleased with it this month, I only got issue 180 2 weeks ago.

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri May 25, 2018 9:30 am

Boulder wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 2:27 pm
Don't you have any service level requirements? Now the magazines seem to spend an extra 2-3 weeks somewhere before they actually arrive in the country where the final delivery point is. I mean, our postal service is notorious but still they do manage to deliver in 2-3 days once any shipment is in the country.
I don't know I'm afraid, it's an aspect of the magazine that I have no involvement with. When I know I'll let you know.

Zedrick

Post by Zedrick » Fri May 25, 2018 4:44 pm

Got issue 180 yesterday. Now I expect it will be another 4-5 weeks until I get issue 181.

I understand that the real Retrogamer people here are not responsible and there's no point in yelling at you. Still, I imagine that subscribers are important to you and that you can at least bring it up with whoever is responsible. Again and again and again until the issue is solved.

Since the carriers have no problems delivering the magazine to the newsagent in time, it's not not a simple carrier issue. A healthy person could literally, without stressing very much, take my copy of retro gamer on the day of release and walk from the UK to Frankfurt in Germany, have a Frankfurter Würstchen and a beer, and then walk to my mailbox in Sweden in the time that I typically have to wait.

Not acceptable.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Fri May 25, 2018 9:36 pm

"There is no routing difference between any title - they all follow the same carriers and routings. It's not title specific.
I'm well aware that all of this is stuff that the editorial side is not involved in, but that statement simply can't be completely true.

As I have written a few times now, I subscribe to both Edge and Retro Gamer. And for the last few months, Edge has always arrived significantly faster (usually taking around 2 weeks instead of Retro Gamer's 4-5 weeks that now sadly can be expected). While both currently move through Hungary for whatever reason, one is labeled as "priority" and one as "standard" and that clearly seems to have a major effect on delivery times. Therefore I'd say that surely does fall under routing difference.

Of course, an Edge subsciption is much more expensive than a Retro Gamer one despite only 0,50 ukp difference in per issue pricing, so I suspect at least we do get some kind of advantage there for the higher subs price.

It's still a sad state of things, especially since Retro Gamer rarely took longer than two weeks back when it was still at Imagine.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Mon May 28, 2018 11:49 pm

#181 zoned into my mailbox today the 28th (Monday is an odd day for RG - it typically arrives on Thursdays). BTW, as usual the internal Norwegian mail is priority, but that is by Norwegian Mail and only the domestic part. Also note that I'm on a "rest of the world" subscription IIRC.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Tue May 29, 2018 5:31 pm

NorthWay wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:49 pm
#181 zoned into my mailbox today the 28th (Monday is an odd day for RG - it typically arrives on Thursdays). BTW, as usual the internal Norwegian mail is priority, but that is by Norwegian Mail and only the domestic part. Also note that I'm on a "rest of the world" subscription IIRC.
I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but it's actually kind of obvious why you're getting your issues so quick - Norway isn't in the EU, so the delivery most likely gets handled differently (as in: much faster)... d'oh.