Tracking lateness

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer

Chinnico

Re: Tracking lateness

Post by Chinnico » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:21 am

Hi all, long time no see.

Just adding my feedback to this thread.
Since the move to Future, I have been plagued with delivery problems as well as all the other retro-oversea'rs.
I am in Italy and delivery times have been between one and two months, 6-7 weeks on average.
Also, as many others I had the issue of the white font on black background pages not being readable in issue 170. I contacted support for a replacement.
When, after over a further month from the request, the replacement did not show up (and in the meantime I had not received 172, 173 and 174 either), I contacted support again.
After ANOTHER month, I received replacement copies... of issues 173 and 174.... which I had not requested (although in effect they filled in the pipeline of back-issues to receive).

Fortunately, lately I have being going back and forth from UK for a while for work, so I picked up some issues from the newsstand at the airport, filling the gaps (I will end having a double collection...).

So, big news, I moved from Italy to UK for work at the beginning of March.
Around March 10th, I changed the subscription address, hoping that the next issue could be dispatched directly to my new UK address.
It has not arrived yet.
So yesterday I bought issue 179 at the local train station, as, in addition to being tired of reading the magazine one month after everyone else has already started talking about the next one, this time I also did not want to miss the CD and poster.
Maybe the subscription copy will arrive at my old address back in Italy before summer.

Let's hope in n.180...

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:46 am

RetroBob wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:45 pm
If you let them know they will make it right. Never had an issue with a mistake.
Thats not my experience - the two times I've tried to get replacements from them they said they had ran out of copies and would just extend my sub. Funnily enough they were still selling those issues off their site to casual readers. I've resorted to having to source my own replacements at retail due to the lack of success in dealing with the subs team.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:25 pm

Octogenarihexate! wrote:
Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:06 pm
Canadian here.
Curiously, I just received a reminder card to renew my subscription. It has a month left for their offer.
I still have not received issues 177 or 178.
I may not be renewing, if this keeps up.
Yeah, I just got my renewal card last week, but that rate has always been to high in my opinion, and with the current problems, I plan to go back to buying locally. As I have stated in the past, the current deals being offered pale in comparison to the one I used each year with Imagine. If I could still get that deal($50-$60 I believe for 13 issues), I would still probably do it. Now the rate is pretty much double that, and I get damaged issues more often than not, which isn't a big deal for the price I was paying, but at the newer higher rates, no way.

My issue #179 just arrived to me in Las Vegas, USA and came in a decent condition this month, so no need for a replacement. But the 3 copies I got of #178 all came in pretty bad shape, so I'm going to try and get that at retail this week.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:28 pm

#179 just spawned in my Norwegian mailbox. Checking newsagent later in the week - nothing on the 4th.
Last edited by NorthWay on Wed Apr 04, 2018 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:27 pm

Surprisingly I got issue 179 on time (in New Zealand) last Friday, first time since I renewed my sub in December last year - and the first time since I went in to the new site and changed my address in the account area to have as few lines of detail in it as possible.

czechrover

Post by czechrover » Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:22 pm

Still no issue 179 here in Czech Republic.

I subscribed on 14th February and still nothing. The one issue I ordered separately took 27 days to arrive.

How is all of this even possible? It's not the Czech post because when I order something from the Blackburn Rovers store or a family member posts something to me it arrives within a week.

I just don't understand how a company can be so inefficient in the year 2018. It must be hard for print magazines to survive these days so you'd think that they'd treat the people who do subscribe and pay good money a lot better than they do.

It's such a shame to see all the good work that goes into the magazine get overshadowed by an awful publishing company. It's the retro gamer team's jobs on the line when it comes to magazine circulation/sales and they are being let down by future as the only outcome to all of this is that subscribers will stop renewing.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:19 pm

czechrover wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 3:22 pm
I just don't understand how a company can be so inefficient in the year 2018. It must be hard for print magazines to survive these days so you'd think that they'd treat the people who do subscribe and pay good money a lot better than they do.

It's such a shame to see all the good work that goes into the magazine get overshadowed by an awful publishing company. It's the retro gamer team's jobs on the line when it comes to magazine circulation/sales and they are being let down by future as the only outcome to all of this is that subscribers will stop renewing.
Sadly, the real reason why so many issues are happening is due to print items just not being in demand much anymore(so cost are way higher than it used to be). Now, I'm not defending Future's extra poor service, but when one company is acquired by another, more than likely, one or both probably wasn't doing to well to begin with. While we all preferred Imagine, if things would have remained the same, Retro Gamer could already be a casualty.

Here in the states, we used to have tons of books shops and stores, where many publications could be had for many different taste. Now, most of those places are gone, and most people are happy to read things digitally. So I understand how offering the same quality print wise, is probably hurting the bottom line in ways we can't understand, but on the same note, as stated, the few who are left should be getting the best service possible.

Future is probably like most game developers now, and would be thrilled if all they offered was in digital format. So where I've always had really good renewal offers from Imagine, I can understand why Future may not be offering the same, as there just isn't much money in physical mediums anymore. It's been over a year now since problems begin for most, and while many have been fixed, there are just as many who still have issues. My copies arrive rather quickly now, but along with that, comes more damaged issues than I used to receive. So once my subscription is up, I'm planning just to go local again, as the benefits I once received are all but gone. I would rather pay a little extra to get issues in perfect condition, than to pay slightly less and roll the dice each month, as it's just not worth it anymore!

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:14 am

For me it's only printed or nothing. If RG goes all digital I will find my retro gaming fix elsewhere.
It's not because of the quality of the content - RG is very good and pours a lot of work into each issue - in terms of research, writing and design.
But first of all it's RETRO Gamer so in my mind it kinda only makes sense in the form of the physical printed magazine.
Also if we are talking about going digital - just making the same magazine but in PDF is just not gonna cut it for me - honestly! Reading PDFs on PC is tedious since you need to do it sitting behind the desk, reading them on Kindle doesn't give you the colour, reading on the phone demands constant zooming in and out and lots of moving about the page. It's ok on the tablet 10 inch + but I just don't need a tablet for any my other tasks and buying one just to read a magazine is not something I will do.
If we are going digital we need a completely different format retaining all the best from the physical magazine but suitable for reading across many devices without the problems of PDFs - adaptive design and all the good stuff.

thegamesnotoveryet

Post by thegamesnotoveryet » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:10 pm

Solegor wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:14 am
For me it's only printed or nothing. If RG goes all digital I will find my retro gaming fix elsewhere.
It's not because of the quality of the content - RG is very good and pours a lot of work into each issue - in terms of research, writing and design.
But first of all it's RETRO Gamer so in my mind it kinda only makes sense in the form of the physical printed magazine.
Also if we are talking about going digital - just making the same magazine but in PDF is just not gonna cut it for me - honestly! Reading PDFs on PC is tedious since you need to do it sitting behind the desk, reading them on Kindle doesn't give you the colour, reading on the phone demands constant zooming in and out and lots of moving about the page. It's ok on the tablet 10 inch + but I just don't need a tablet for any my other tasks and buying one just to read a magazine is not something I will do.
If we are going digital we need a completely different format retaining all the best from the physical magazine but suitable for reading across many devices without the problems of PDFs - adaptive design and all the good stuff.
Yeah, same for me, it's "physical" or BUST! LOL

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:16 pm

I bought a 10" tablet years ago to consume print media (comics at the time), so I could live with it being PDF. Mrs Ant would probably prefer it that way instead of having stacks of mags kicking around.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:48 pm

The moniker "Retro" should hint rather heavily that the interest in paper copies is way stronger for this magazine than most others... Newsagent got #179 12th April.
Last edited by NorthWay on Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:43 am

I'm of a similar mind - part of the reason I love the mag is the nostalgia and reminding me of gaming mags back in the 90s when I was a kid, which I used to collect. The best part is I can (and do) randomly grab an old issue several times a month and reread them, because the content is so good. I have a big stack under my work desk in random order and love flicking through the old mags.

I tried to do similar with the RG Load DVD discs, and just couldn't get into reading the mags in PDF form - I've read about 5% of the content on the first two RG DVDs, despite owning them for the best part of a decade - and ended up just trying to source the actual hard copy mags instead from auction sites.

Weblaus

Post by Weblaus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:28 am

Well, great, it's that time of the month again...

Just today, the current issue of Edge showed up at my place (routed through Hungary) - while the current issue of Retro Gamer (which hit stores one week earlier) once again is still nowhere to be seen so far. So we're at three weeks and counting for delivery to German subscribers.

This is really annoying, especially compared to delivery times for single issue orders: I did order another copy of RG #179 for a friend and from dispatch to delivery it took a whole 4 days!

I'm giving up hope this well get better again any time soon or even at all and I guess I should almost be thankful that at least all issues so far have eventually arrived, even if it sometimes takes 4+ weeks now.

Solegor

Post by Solegor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:03 am

Yesterday #179 came, India. I think it's a good result for overseas delivery

Barbarian

Post by Barbarian » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:32 am

India? Seriously? Dont get me wrong buddy, I'm glad for you but I'm still waiting for 179 to show up...here in Germany:/