Retro Gamer issue 177

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

kiwimike

Re: Retro Gamer issue 177

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:51 am

Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am
Interesting comments so far. We knew this was was going to be a hot topic.
Lol I did see a spoiler on social media by accident, and a rant accusing the magazine of bias. Which is fine- everyone's entitled to an opinion of course- which we all have especially on social media. But there were plenty of people asking if the poster knew what the terms 'poll' and 'vote' were :lol:

But yeah, it's subjective and always going to be a good topic of debate :)

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 am

I wish I'd known about the four-or-so places to vote. Then I would have voted four-or-so times. Just like a number of other people probably did...

Was there a tussle going on between the SNES and Megadrive communities? Seems a little suspicious that those two particular rivals should end up first and second. Hmm.

Anyway, regardless of the order, great article with lots of nice photos. However, the PS3 and PS4 look like they have been oiled up! Either that or someone has been using a bit of Back to Black from Halfords. What's going on there?
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:19 pm

mrmessy wrote:
Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:07 am

Was there a tussle going on between the SNES and Megadrive communities? Seems a little suspicious that those two particular rivals should end up first and second. Hmm.

No tussle, as we mention in the issue 59% of readers who voted for the Mega Drive also voted for the SNES.
As for the oiled up machines, I think it's to do with how it's been printed. They certainly didn't look that shiny on the day :)

Mayhem

Post by Mayhem » Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:21 pm

Top ten not really a surprise bar the positions of certain non-C64 Commodore computer and a certain Sega console. Completely agree with #1 though ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

subscriptions

Post by subscriptions » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:38 am

I finally made it into the 'From the Forum' section.

kebabinho

Post by kebabinho » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:09 pm

PostieDoc wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:02 pm
Am interested to see if the Plus/4 made the list at all. Am I the only one who voted for it?
Looks like it was just the 2 of us then. :D

merman

Post by merman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:01 pm

I enjoyed the Top 30 article, lots of interesting developer input and it looked really stylish.

Elsewhere Kieren's making of Venture and the Tony/Tiny Williams interview were very good too.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:08 pm

I was hoping for a bit more info on the various top 30 systems, but I'm aware there's only so much you can fit in a magazine!

I'm pleased to see the SNES at the top - I voted it 1st, and the Megadrive much lower down my top 10 (though I'm not sure if my votes were too late to count) so it was interesting to see a high percentage voted for both. It really was the golden-era of gaming - though I think that's come back to an extent in recent years with the AAA titles as well as the indie sutff (I just don't game much any more).

I guess post 16-bit era votes will be more evenly spread (at least) three ways. I was surprised to see the NES so high. It was my first console, but aside from a few games, I don't think the quality was anywhere near as high as the 16-bit era - I might even say the Amstrad/Spectrum/etc. had a better spread, aside from the obvious standouts such as Mario Bros 2 & 3. I think even the N64 and Gamecube, which were both (unfairly) criticised for their libraries had a better spread of high-quality titles than the NES (taking era into account).
Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:26 am
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 am
Sheer volume of ownership for those unlucky enough to own an Amstrad
Oi!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
In my experience, many of the Amstrad games were better than the Spectrum versions. I preferred the Amstrad's keyboard for gaming too.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:07 pm

Someone call security, TheAlex has escaped from his padded cell and is posting nonsense online again. This is what happens when you let him watch The Apprentice during recreation hour ;)
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 pm

TheAlex wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:08 pm
I was hoping for a bit more info on the various top 30 systems, but I'm aware there's only so much you can fit in a magazine!

I'm pleased to see the SNES at the top - I voted it 1st, and the Megadrive much lower down my top 10 (though I'm not sure if my votes were too late to count) so it was interesting to see a high percentage voted for both. It really was the golden-era of gaming - though I think that's come back to an extent in recent years with the AAA titles as well as the indie sutff (I just don't game much any more).

I guess post 16-bit era votes will be more evenly spread (at least) three ways. I was surprised to see the NES so high. It was my first console, but aside from a few games, I don't think the quality was anywhere near as high as the 16-bit era - I might even say the Amstrad/Spectrum/etc. had a better spread, aside from the obvious standouts such as Mario Bros 2 & 3. I think even the N64 and Gamecube, which were both (unfairly) criticised for their libraries had a better spread of high-quality titles than the NES (taking era into account).
Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 am
Sheer volume of ownership for those unlucky enough to own an Amstrad
Oi!
In my experience, many of the Amstrad games were better than the Spectrum versions. I preferred the Amstrad's keyboard for gaming too.
Thats probably just the perspective of a UK viewpoint - the NES had an incredible lineup from Nintendo, Rare, Konami, Capcom, Taito, Square etc and dominated in many countries. Its probably reflecting that the reader base for RG is becoming more global.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:46 am

antsbull wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 pm
TheAlex wrote:
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:08 pm

Oi!
Thats probably just the perspective of a UK viewpoint - the NES had an incredible lineup from Nintendo, Rare, Konami, Capcom, Taito, Square etc and dominated in many countries. Its probably reflecting that the reader base for RG is becoming more global.
Yep, I voted for NES despite being a SMS boy at the time. The range and quality of titles is superb. It might have been lacking at the time in the UK and other PAL areas.

TheAlex

Post by TheAlex » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:38 pm

antsbull wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:25 pm
I don't think it's that. I had lots of fun with the NES and there were some great games - Snake Rattle ‘n' Roll is still one of my all-time favourites. I just think the SNES/Megadrive era took things to a completely new level, and the SNES has a ridiculous number of AAA titles.

If I look at a list like this - http://www.racketboy.com/retro/best-und ... -nes-games - I've played a lot of the games, both "obvious" and "undiscovered". There are not many NES games I haven't played I'm itching to play - StarTropics is one, and I've just seen Crystalis on that link which looks like it's worth investigating.

Maybe I was just too young to appreciate it and the impact it had - it would have been late 80s when I had one I think, maybe around the time Super Mario Bros. 3 was released.

fredghostmaster

Post by fredghostmaster » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:30 pm

Finally got round to reading the top 30 and it was largely as expected. The only 3 surprises for me were the NES reaching the top 10, ahead of the Spectrum, which I found rather unlikely and both the Amstrad & the Lynx making the top 30. Still, it was only a bit of fun and an interesting read.

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:27 am

The battle around 9th - 11th place was really close. With a couple more votes, the Speccy would have been right behind the C64. Likewise, a single extra vote, even a tenth place vote, would have put the NES over the Xbox 360.

The Amstrad had a comfortable lead over both the machines below it, and wasn't in much danger of being dislodged from the top 30.

WaveRacer

Post by WaveRacer » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:49 am

The N64 had a good showing, which was surprising given just how much people have said they dislike it on here. Happy to see the Super nintendo in first place, A fully deserved Top spot.