Retro Gamer issue 177

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

NickThorpe

Re: Retro Gamer issue 177

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:40 pm

I'll be posting up an expanded list once the issue has been out in the wild a bit longer, so as not to spoil things.

Right now I can tell you that imagining the Apple II's 31st place finish is a bit optimistic - it didn't even crack the top 50, and was chosen by less than 1% of voters. The actual 31st place spot was occupied by the Atari ST.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:41 pm

Antiriad2097 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:14 am
Cripper2 wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:00 am
where was the poll conducted i never saw that?
Right here.

With the forum (and mag) being predominantly British, there was no way the Apple 2 was going to feature heavily. Too expensive, too niche, a thing you'd maybe see at school, and if you were lucky you'd play some ropey edutainment title. The cheap home micros were bound to beat it out. Sheer volume of ownership for those unlucky enough to own an Amstrad means it will always end up in these lists. I guess it warrants a mention for bringing monitors to UK homes, even if they were mostly green screen.
I'm guessing the votes were largely cast on Facebook too? There were (strangely) hardly any votes for the C64 in this thread, if memory serves, and yet it came 8th? It's all this new fangled social media now-a-days!
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:49 pm

mrmessy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:41 pm

I'm guessing the votes were largely cast on Facebook too? There were (strangely) hardly any votes for the C64 in this thread, if memory serves, and yet it came 8th? It's all this new fangled social media now-a-days!
Yes, Facebook, Twitter, Newsletters, forums. We basically used the same process that we did for our big list feature in 150.

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:02 pm

Am interested to see if the Plus/4 made the list at all. Am I the only one who voted for it?

NickThorpe

Post by NickThorpe » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:11 pm

The Plus/4 was chosen by a whopping 1.2% of voters, enough to surpass the Apple II but still not enough to make the top 50.

mrmessy

Post by mrmessy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:33 pm

I am very surprised to see the NES so high on the list, given that the voters would be largely UK based.

I never knew of a single person who owned a NES back in the day, but I knew of about 10 people who owned Atari STs, for example - yet the Atari ST didn't even make the top 30!

This seems quite strange to me, given that people would probably vote for the systems they owned in their youth / grew up with. (I know I did).
'79:Micro5500> '83:Spec(48K)> '84:Spec+(kit)> '86:Spec128> '88:ST> '90:A500> '93:A1200> '93:SNES> '95:PS1> '99:PC> '02:PS2> '05:Xbox> '12:X360> '14:PS4... XboxLive:messy73, PSN:mrmessy73, YouTube:mrmessyschannel

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:41 pm

mrmessy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:33 pm
I am very surprised to see the NES so high on the list, given that the voters would be largely UK based.

I never knew of a single person who owned a NES back in the day, but I knew of about 10 people who owned Atari STs, for example - yet the Atari ST didn't even make the top 30!

This seems quite strange to me, given that people would probably vote for the systems they owned in their youth / grew up with. (I know I did).
growing up I knew three people with a nes and one person with an Atari st. Therefore I'm not as surprised to see the st not make the list as you are. My first love was the amstrad, but I still voted 8 other machines over it because they are all better for playing games on and as a result I prefer systems like the Xbox 360 and ds more. I'd imagine some people used nostalgia to make their choices and some made choices based on the systems they still enjoy playing now. There's no wrong way to vote because it's just a list :) Also voting was done by all retro gamer readers and we have plenty in the us :)

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:02 pm

I was extremely surprised not to see the ST make the list.

Especially when it outsold quite a few systems above it in the U.K. including the NES and Amstrad CPC.

I am guessing the American readership and Nintendo collectors had a big influence on the NES making it. I certainly wasn't surprised to see it there.

I am still ecstatic that the Atari Lynx made it though and when I showed some ex-Lynx alumni like Darryl Still and Chuck Somerville they felt justice had been finally served!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:28 pm

As a multiple ST owner, I am not in the least bit surprised it isn't in the list. It was, then and now, a bit poo as a games machine. Fantastic computer, but games were not its best aspect.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:35 pm

Would be really interesting to be able to break down the lists depending on what area of the world/what market you are in, no doubt the results would move around depending on that. :)

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:19 pm

mrmessy wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:33 pm

Norway was quite different, I can tell you! I had a NES, all my friends with a console had NES, in fact the only Master System and MegaDrive I ever saw in the wild was this one relative on the other side of the country who had rich parent and had both those - and I believe also Nintendo consoles. It was Nintendo everywhere. Had it not been for the Sonic cartoon on tv I would probably not known he existed. My first console was a Nintendo (NES), my first handheld a GameBoy, when NES got old everyone got a SNES. It was not before PlayStation that anything else came into play. Which reminds me, I knew of the DreamCast. But Saturn was unknown to me until I began reading RetroGamer a decade or so ago...

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:51 am

Interesting comments so far. We knew this was was going to be a hot topic.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:09 am

I'm extremely pleased to see the console topping the list. Slighly perturbed to see the console at the other extreme end of the list....but its early days and sure one day it may get into the top 10 at least! :D

Back in Time Sime

Post by Back in Time Sime » Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:11 pm

Great issue as always, sits on my table and I read it while eating my breaky, this way it lasts the best part of two weeks :)

Subscribing since issue 1 and never regretted it...

Brave to do the best retro console, your never going to win, but not agreeing is part of the fun... For me I am looking for something that takes me back to a special time, so mainly Commodore 64, Dreamcast, XBOX but also something that offers something really different, so Neo-Geo and PC-Engine...

Guess I shouldnt be supprised that those systems are the ones I tend to review most of the time on my channel :)

So this issue made me a happy camper...

Taaa
Sime
Check out my weekly YouTube retro game show - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjX19c ... uvebRWBoxw

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:21 pm

I picked it up a couple days ago. First portion of the mag looks really good. Latter half not so much.

As for the top 30. Can't say I disagree massively with how it turned out. Not sure on the SNES being Number 1 but hey ho!

PSN username - MartinPhantom