Retro Gamer issue 176

Want to air your opinions on the latest issue of Retro Gamer? Step inside...

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroMartin

Retro Gamer issue 176

Post by RetroMartin » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:02 pm

I don't see a topic for this 1 yet. I picked it up on New Year's Eve whilst I was working.

Have to say bar the Contra article and 1 or 2 small bits it was a relatively underwhelming issue for me. However next month's sounds phenomenally packed with content I should enjoy so fingers crossed.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Arnie

Re: Retro Gamer issue 176

Post by Arnie » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:48 pm

I found this issue to be a bit more interesting than some of the resent issues to date.
I've never played the game but the Contra article was interesting enough. I also liked the Grafgold, Frostbye, Turok and even the Amstrad articles. I did spot a couple of mistakes well one and a false claim in the Amstrad part, There was repetition in the CPC that never was boxout and a claim in the Sinclair boxout that states Amstrad improved the the Spectrums sound output, I think the opposite is true as the completely screwed up the AY sound quality. I've modded one of my +3's to fix it.

Nikolai

Post by Nikolai » Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:32 pm

I just finished the Amstrad article. Best darn article in ages! Loved it! :) Give my best to the author.

merman

Post by merman » Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:28 pm

Nikolai wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:32 pm
I just finished the Amstrad article. Best darn article in ages! Loved it! :) Give my best to the author.
Have to agree, good work by David Crookes. Also enjoyed the Contra piece and the Making of Eliminator.
merman1974 on Steam, Xbox Live, Twitter and YouTube

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:49 pm

Still waiting for mine, but in the meantime Edge dropped into my mailbox and they are now using at least as bad paper as RG. I feel like grabbing a big and hard cluebat and come knocking at the doors of Future...

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:09 am

NorthWay wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:49 pm
Still waiting for mine, but in the meantime Edge dropped into my mailbox and they are now using at least as bad paper as RG. I feel like grabbing a big and hard cluebat and come knocking at the doors of Future...
I get what you're saying there- I know printed matter isn't as strong selling as once, and I know costs have to be kept down, but quality standards still have to be there :)

rinzwind

Post by rinzwind » Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:31 am

Not received yet. Expect it this week.

In what issue did that thinner paper change happen?

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Still have yet to receive it, has this been shipped out for overseas subscriptions?

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:05 pm

I am disappoint! I just saw this in my local newsagent (and they seemed to have like 100% more copies than normal), but my own mailbox is empty and sad.

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:43 am

Hi everyone - has anyone out Australia or New Zealand way received their subscribed copy of this issue yet?

I haven't seen a thing, and have noticed several people complaining on facebook about similar. If others out this way have received them then I'll lodge a complaint - as its been close to 6 weeks since I received the last issue.

kiwimike

Post by kiwimike » Mon Jan 22, 2018 5:47 am

antsbull wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:43 am
Hi everyone - has anyone out Australia or New Zealand way received their subscribed copy of this issue yet?

I haven't seen a thing, and have noticed several people complaining on facebook about similar. If others out this way have received them then I'll lodge a complaint - as its been close to 6 weeks since I received the last issue.
Hi this probably doesn't help- I'm not a subscriber and only order issue by issue now when a decent issue or bookazine grabs me- But I have noticed international post has been getting worse and worse in NZ. Things that used to take one week from ordering now takes on average four, and often five to six. And that is from a cross section of suppliers including My favourite magazines, amazon, independant companies and suppliers.

I am currently chasing up a CD I bought from the UK that is coming up on two months.

Sorry, not sure if this helps at all, but just wondering if is not futures fault but freight/post companies along the line. I'm currently trying to trace where these things are taking so long, as I buy the majority of stuff online simply because in Christchurch since the quakes there are simply no local places to get them from...and frankly the slow rate- especially when paying decent costs for delivery- is starting to really censored me off

romeoteknik

Post by romeoteknik » Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:49 am

romeoteknik wrote:
Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:41 pm
Still have yet to receive it, has this been shipped out for overseas subscriptions?
Still nothing yet for me. Just when I thought the deliveries were sorted out. :(

lavalyte

Post by lavalyte » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:44 am

antsbull wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:43 am

nothing yet.
'I have nothing but the greatest respect for other peoples' crackpot beliefs' - Sam The Eagle.

NorthWay

Post by NorthWay » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:34 am

So today (Monday) I finally got my subscribers issue. 11 days after my newsagent. Might I suggest someone have Words with someone else to see to it there being a reason to actually subscribe?

antsbull

Post by antsbull » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:03 am

I've just been in Melbourne for work and they have had this issue for 2 weeks in some magazine shops, and still no sign of it for subscribers I know in Australia or NZ - they've really got their priorities around the wrong way